The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Monday, October 29, 2007

Halloween Hoardefest: Ten Metal Songs For Halloween



In a joint venture with Heavy Metal Time Machine, Rock of Ages, Hard Rock Hideout, Heavy Metal Addiction and Bring Back Glam, we happily smashed a few pumpkins and carved others with tealight candles to the tune of some of our favorite horror-themed heavy metal songs. With the varying latitudes of heavy metal out there, to contain it to a list of merely ten is difficult for me, considering that the death and black metal genres alone have a billion horror songs for the season. But to have fun with this task that we've all undertaken today at our posts, here's ten groovy ghoulies metal style in no particular order:



1. Iron Maiden - "22 Acacia Avenue"
2. Slayer - "Raining Blood"
3. Helloween - "Halloween"
4. Misfits - "Die Die My Darling"
5. Alice Cooper - "Gail/Roses On Black Lace"
6. Lizzy Borden - "Love You to Pieces"
7. Fastway - "Trick Or Treat"
8. Cannibal Corpse - "Hatchet to the Head"
9. Wendy O Williams/Plasmatics - "You're a Zombie"
10. Gwar - "Slaughterama"







What about you all out there? What are some Halloween heavy metal cuts that get you in the mood for the season? Please go to the "Friends of the Minute" section on your right to visit Heavy Metal Time Machine, Rock of Ages, Hard Rock Hideout, Heavy Metal Addiction and Bring Back Glam

10 comments:

countshockula said...

not to be too obvious, but the misfits "halloween" and "Halloween II" or whatever its called really do it for me. "when the dead are out in droves!"

johnny said...

lol, I'd forgotten about Gwar

Fred Charles said...

What, no King Diamond/Mercyful Fate? I would include:

Melissa by MF
Welcome Home by KD

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Hey, Fred, scroll down and check out my writeup on Abigail as a Halloween Hoardefest item...the whole album deserves to be on the list, but it's a whole album! :)

Count, I was listening to some Misfits yesterday and of course "Halloween" came along...that's why I say this task is a little hard, but fun!

Johnny, how goes, bro?

Rhodeislandrock said...

Definitely a more diverse list than some of us did in terms of deep tracks.

I did 3 Alice Cooper songs myself but now they seem fairly obvious compared to your choice. You could do a whole Top 10 with just Alice because his early stuff is just that creepy. I really like the inclusion of '22 Acacia Avenue', great song.

Steve
Heavy Metal Addiction

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Yeah, Steve, believe it or not, my original list had 6 Cooper tunes including "He's Back," lol, plus "I Love the Dead" and "Cold Ethyl," "Teenage Frankenstein" and "Chop Chop Chop." I chose what I did as it was the most macabre of them all, plus I absolutely love the Raise Your Fist and Yell album.

I was having a lot of trouble picking a Maiden cut too...I had "Children of the Damned" and many others. Glad you guys invited me into that fun exercise!

David Amulet said...

I love 22 Acacia Avenue, but I really can't see that in a top ten Halloween song list. I'd put Bruce Dickinson's "Taking the Queen" on there, and I think "Black Sabbath" is up there, too.

-- david

Anonymous said...

Excellent choices all.
I have been giving consideration to great Halloween songs myself and came up with some that I felt were obvious choices:
King Diamond - Halloween
Helloween - Halloween
Deicide - Trick Or Betrayed
Frankenstein Drag Queens From Planet 13 - The Last Halloween (Story Of Trick Or Treat Pete)
Wednesday 13 - Haunt Me

Anonymous said...

Overview of US restaurants. C C%27s Community Coffee House

Michaelijpa said...

An air-conditioning unit also uses humidifiers to elevate the water level in the air. ADA-Compliant Microwaves Like most of the plumbing in your home, a water heater remains out of sight and mind until it stops working. Can be a little temperamental and may not stand up to constant use all day, every day. The dehumidifier contains a fan which draws in air and blows it over a cold coil.