The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 1/9/08

Here we are again, friends, another Wednesday and already I'd say I've had enough of this week, so much I'm just gonna let the negative energy dispel into the ether where it belongs and simply leave this statement, which is probably a repeat blather: Put your stock and your energy into true friends because there are so many false ones and people who claim to be your friend that stick you in the back, talk garbage behind your back and worst of all, leave you holding their bag of crap as they sneak out without lending a hand. True friends don't act this way, plain and simple. Cherish the friends who willingly approach you and ask how you're doing honestly and attentively, not staring into space or at a computer monitor without breaking away to give your voice proper attention. Cherish those who grant your point-of-view whether they agree or not. Cherish those whose acts of selflessness can be depended upon and particularly those willing to answer your call of help.

So enough of that. This past week has been a monster music marathon for me, so much I feel like I have to collect, sample and savor everything the universe has to offer, perhaps with a bit of overzealousness, especially now that the music industry is back from its holiday break and sudden deadlines are at my feet, which means that's just all the more music I have to filter through my ear canals. There's worse things in life, though, right? If that was my only dilemma in life, well hell, I'd just have to simply deal and carry on, woe is me...

It's kind of hard to pick a front runner for the week when I've listened to the new Byzantine album quite a few times, as well as Kiss' Dynasty (not sure why I kept spinning it other than to hear "Sure Know Something" and "Hard Times") plus other selections and review discs, but I'd actually have to the say dark horse winner, as I think about the many times it innocuously slipped into one CD player or another this week, is New Order's Get Ready. Certainly not as glorious as the eighties stuff, but this one really caught on with me and as I've said in the past, Peter Hook certainly lives his namesake.

So, without further adieu, here's my (loooong) list and let's have yours in return, chums... Kinda like trading baseball cards back in the day, ain't it?



New Order - Get Ready
Byzantine - Oblivion Beckons
Kiss - Dynasty
Kiss - Lick it Up
3 - The End Is Begun
The Turtles - 20 Greatest Hits
Hermano - ...Into the Exam Room
The Donnas - Turn 21
Bob Dylan - Blood On the Tracks
Thievery Corporation - Richest Man in Babylon
Cinderella - Heartbreak Station
Queens of the Stone Age - Era Vulgaris
Gorgoroth - Pentagram
The Roots - The Tipping Point
The Roots - Game Theory
Love and Rockets - Love and Rockets
At the Drive-In - Vaya
Jamiroquai - A Funk Odyssey
Vader - Lead Us!!! EP
The Bouncing Souls - The Good, The Bad and The Argyle
The Pixies - Bossanova
Aerosmith - Greatest Hits 1973-1988
Lunachicks - Pretty Ugly
Lunachicks - Jerk of All Trades
Matadors - Flame the Whisper
Snapcase - End Transmission
Mustasch - Latest Version of the Truth
Chingalera - In the Shadow of the Black Palm Tree

5 comments:

bob_vinyl said...

Robert Plant/Allison Krauss - Raising Sand
The Out Circuit - Pierce the Empire with a Sound
Clone Quartet - Well-Oiled Machine
Infants - Friend Paste
Untitled Musical Project
Sailplanes
Clare and the reasons - The Movie
Dirt Mall - Got the Goat by the Horns
Buffalo Killers
The Bowmans - Far From Home
Seizure Crypt - Hello My Name is Madness

David Amulet said...

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I had what seems to be a very similar case not long ago--a trusted friend, it turns out, was neither trustworthy nor a friend. A hard lesson.

My latest rotations:
Led Zeppelin: Physical Graffiti
Finger Eleven, Them vs. You vs Me
Mastodon, Blood Mountain
Genesis, WInd and Wuthering
Dio, Holy Diver
The Who, Who's Next

-- david

cjk_44 said...

Ray, keep your head up. True friends are hard to find – I totally agree. Maintaining true friendships is well with the investment. Interesting that I picked up Accept’s “Breaker” this week – it’s an angry, “pissed off at the world” CD. Listen to “Son of a Bitch” – it might not make everything right, but it might get a little frustration out.

After getting my fill of the best that 2007 had to offer I took a leap back in time to many of the albums that set me on the metal path.

1. Iron Maiden – The Number of the Beast
2. AC/DC – all
3. Accept – Balls to the Wall, Breaker
4. Ozzy Osbourne – Blizzard of Ozz, Diary of a Madman
5. Metallica – Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets

Tracks via YouTube:

Judas Priest – Rock Hard Ride Free (live video)
Scorpions – Blackout (live video)

Ian Aiken said...

1. OZZY OSBOURNE - Diary of a Madman
2. KING CRIMSON - Red, Three of a Perfect Pair
3. MUTEMATH - Mutemath
4. SLAYER - Haunting the Chapel
5. VOIVOD - Killing Technology
6. BLACK SABBATH - Paranoid
7. VITAL REMAINS - Forever Underground
8. BLOODBATH - Breeding Death
9. NAPALM DEATH - Mentally Murdered
10. TORI AMOS - To Venus and Back
11. KREATOR - Terrible Certainy
12. RUSH - Grace Under Pressure
13. MISFITS - Legacy of Brutality

I put Vol. 4 away for a little bit so it's crisp and fresh when I get it back out again. I've been mostly jamming OZZY, KING CRIMSON, and MUTEMATH the most out of all this past week.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Sorry to be lax answer you, friends...busy few days. I appreciate everyone's well-wishes here and off-site. I'm fine, I tend to guard myself for the most part though I feel I'm normally as approachable as they come, but when I let my trust go or I try hard to nurture a friendship another has expressed interest in and they turn out to be less than deserving to the point of betrayal, then well... The times you question yourself for not putting enough stock or faith into people and it's for naught makes you feel idiotic and question even more. Enough said, I'm not out to sound like a bleeding tampon or anything.

Bob, how's that Plant/Krauss project? I've still yet to hear it.

David, another fine selection, my friend. Thanks again for those inspiring words about TMM at your page, bro.

cjk, Breaker is a solid bit 'o metal, nice choice!

Ian, I love that Tori selection smacked in the middle of the metal. That's my own warped ideology of music consumption. BTW, I received the two disc Yes DVD this week for review, so that'll be coming down the pike here at TMM

Thanks again, guys...like Turbo Man, I can always count on you...