The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Monday, February 04, 2008

One of the few Super Bowl Ads That Didn't Bite the Big One...

The Super Bowl was indeed super and congrats to the Giants for dismantling the great machine, but for the second year in a row, those commercials were absolutely pathetic. It's bad when Justin Timberlake had one of the few decent ads (and I'm looking forward to the Iron Man movie), but here's the best of the miserable lot...

Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel

Add to My Profile | More Videos

4 comments:

David Amulet said...

Yes, this one was OK, and the lizards-doing-Thriller would have been fine if they kept it to 30 seconds and only did the mock dancing. Otherwise, mostly disappointing.

-- david

bob_vinyl said...

I stopped watching shortly after halftime, but I watched some of the ads this morning. My favorite by far was the Doritos mouse trap. I thought I'd fall out of my chair when the mouse came busting through the wall and proceeded to beat the crap out of that guy. That what makes a great commercial: mutant-sized animals beating the living crap out of someone. I could watch that stuff for hours. I hope they make a movie out it.

I also liked the guy getting sucked into the airplane engine and the giant pigeons, but none topped the mouse trap.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I forgot about the mouse trap; it was random and kinda funny; the one with the baby talking like an adult pissed me off, as did the majority of those lame-shit ads...the eighties to the mid-nineties were boss for Super Bowl ads!

bob_vinyl said...

I think the glory days of the Super Bowl ad was during the dot.com era. You had a lot of companies run by mavericks and cowboys who were willing to take chances on something they knew instinctively was fun rather than relying on market research and focus groups. Once most of the dot coms folded, the ads really suffered. That was the era that gave us "Money out the wazoo" and "herding cats." Classics of SB advertising.