The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 2/20/08

Gooooooooood morrrrrrrning, campers!!!

Before I go any further, I'd like to welcome The Metal Minute's worldwide audience. Uncle Ray's been keeping an eye on the site's visitor legend and I'm thrilled so see so many of you checking in from all around the world, so a mighty hello and hails to the UK, Canada, Australia, Guatemala, Chile, Mexico, Hungary, Indonesia, Turkey, Sweden, Latvia, Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Poland, France, Estonia, Finland, Slovakia, Austria, Greece, Thailand, Norway, Spain and everyone else I've neglected to single out. All of you are proof positive this music boasts a global community network unlike no other. Thank you for your gracious support.

Feeling good though tired as things heat up in metal land. The promo stacks are starting to list to port, so I'll be having to isolate myself in the dungeon and pound away, assuming I can peel myself away from Dallas, Season 8.

This week's rotation was a narrow chase between Cavalera Conspiracy and my all-time favorite album Chicago III, but eventually my funk rock musical soul mate from 1971 won out. Anyone who truly knows me knows this album is my absolute drug and I cannot deal without it. If the first four or five Ramones album saved my life in the late eighties, Chicago III saved my soul. Sounds corny, I know, but it goes beyond me thinking about my toddler days in the early seventies and how this very long album filled my ears along with Motown and Janis Joplin. As an adult, Chicago III is the album that "gets" me and it lets me know all the way. Though not 100% perfect, we'll give it 98% for musical prowess and an off-the-chart rating for lyrical empathy. When I die, if anyone cares to remember me, play this thing (as well as Candlebox's Happy Pills and Bad Brains' I Against I).

Chicago III often comes off the shelf when I feel like the darkness in my life is so great that I'm going to collapse and surrender to it. It knows me better than I know it. I embrace a small portion of the darkness that haunts all of us because I feel it strengthens me inside; sometimes it's an ally, but left unchecked, it can positively dismantle you. I've written a number of things in private lately to dispel these combative sources of confusion, dejection and anger, but when that doesn't necessarily purge it all clean, one of my ultimate remedies is to spin Chicago III relentlessly until the aches go away or at least alleviates, and it allows me to resume my mantras of healing and prayers for peace and inner warmth.

I'm writing this not seeking out pats on the back or sympathy. I say it simply to express to you all that music is so overwhelmingly passionate that it can save your soul, and that is why Chicago III gets this week's front runner. I'll play it as many times as necessary until I feel not only better, but happy, and happy is where I'm at right now. The future looks brighter, the faces I seek approval from seem to be smiling back at me, and while my mind is as jumbled and knotted as usual, my spirit soars and I want to ride this feeling into the unknown future where I know great changes await.

Add on a lot of vintage sixties and seventies soul, some other albums I fuel my confidence pistons with (Quicksand's Slip being a prime example) and those badass Cavalera Conspiracy and Dead to Fall albums, and it's been an eclectic and uplifting kind of music week. That being said, you know what's next.... leave your selections on the table, friends, and grab yourself a cup of tea while you're here. Kettle's hot.

Peace...



Chicago - Chicago III
Cavalera Conspiracy - Inflikted
Dead to Fall - Are You Serious?
Bad Brains - God of Love
Quicksand - Slip
The Supremes - The Ultimate Collection
The Four Tops - The Ultimate Collection
Spinners - The Very Best of Spinners
Marvin Gaye - Motown 25th Anniversary Series
L.A. Guns - S/T
Agalloch - The White EP
Thievery Corporation - The Mirror Conspiracy
Overkill - Immortalis
The Mars Volta - Bedlam in Goliath
Gods Revolver - Little Black Horse Where Are You Going With Your Rider?
Dokken - Under Lock and Key
400 Blows - Angels Trumpets and Devil's Trombones
High On Fire - Death is the Communion
Cyclone - Brutal Destruction
Indian - Sights and Abuse/The Sycophant

12 comments:

bob_vinyl said...

Big Country - Steeltown
Tippy Canoe and the Paddlemen
Sweet - Desolation Boulevard
Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe - An Evening of Yes Music Plus
Twilight Hotel - Highway Prayer
Anarchy Club - A Single Drop of Red
SSM - Break Your Arm for Evolution
Mechanical Bull - A Million Yesterdays
Star Anna - Crooked Path
Bret Mosely - Light & Blood
Ivoryline - There Came a Lion
v/a - Take Action! volume 7
We Are the Fury - Venus

Metal Mark said...

Sir Lord Baltimore-3 Raw
Nail-s/t
Iron Maiden-Piece of mind
Elegantly Wasted-Desolation Row
Witchcraft-The alchemist
Testament-The gathering and Demonic re-issues
Fireborn-A deadly premonition

David Amulet said...

A great tribute to a great album, Chicago III.

My six:

Gordian Knot, Emergent
Judas Priest, Sad Wings of Destiny
GTR, GTR
Underworld soundtrack
Peter Gabriel, Up
Blue Murder, s/t

dschalek said...

Earth- The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull
Nargaroth- Semper Fidelis
Goatwhore- A Haunting Curse
Cobalt- Eater Of Birds

FredCQ said...

Got some weird stuff on rotation lately:

Espers - II: Fantastic folk band. I can't explain this band, but they do a killer cover of Blue Oyster Cult's Flaming Telepaths.

Six Organs of Admittance - The Sun Awakens

Earth - The Bees...

OM - all CDs

Iron Maiden - all CDs

Video: Live After Death

Book: Stephen King - Duma Key

cjk_44 said...

1. Sepultura – Arise
2. Michael Schenker – Anthology (UFO disc)
3. Iron Maiden – Killers, Powerslave
4. Monster Magnet – Dopes to Infinity
5. Antimatter – Planetary Confinement

JP said...

Earth - The Bees Made Honey...
Slough Feg: Hardworlder, The Lord Weird Slough Feg
Scorpions: Tokyo Tapes
Mars Volta: Bedlam In Goliath
Jonny Greenwood: Bodysong
The Ocean: Precambrian
Richard Wright: Broken China
Tool: 10,000 Days
Sleep's Holy Mountain
Queen: a Night At THe Opera

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Too funny, Bob; I'm due to use Desolation Blvd in an Underappreciated Slabs segment... I didn't know about that ABWH...is it a DVD? A band called Mechanical Bull piques my interest by attrition

Mark, how's that Witchcraft album? I need to hunt it down! Love those guys.

David, thank you. I know not a whole lotta people get Chicago III, but I continue to spin that the first CTA album relentlessly...they're my rocks these days

seeing a lotta love for Earth this week, groovy cool, guys... waddup, Dave? I owe you offsite correspondence

Fred, how's the King book? I finished Lisey's Story not too long ago; yeah, I'm behind, which is shameful since King's my literary hero

cjk, nice mix, bro...I love that Antimatter album

jp, ditto nice mix, mang...I also owe you some offsite response... hope to catch up my emails soon but gotta work today and probably tomorrow (sat.) and we're having a lovely ice storm event... winter can suck it

fredcq said...

The new King book is really good. A lot of reviewers are saying that it's his best in years.

BTW, the new Witchcraft is awesome. It's a step up from the last CD. The songs are more complex and interesting.

JP said...

Ray: No hurry man. I was at work, and I can only access blogspot via rss feeds, so I dropped you an email instead of commenting on the blog.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

If it makes you feel better, JP, I kid you not when I say I'm currently just under 500 emails I need to clear out and respond to. Busy times, but the love is nice, lol...

Fred, yeah, I have to track both of those down...it'd be apropos to spin one and read the other like I used to do after Headbangers Ball a lot in the eighties, spin some Grim Reaper, Exciter or WASP while reading King until 4:00 a.m.

cjk_44 said...

Ray, that Antimatter disc gets me awfully down. but i need that feeling sometimes.