The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 3/26/08

Howdy hoo, friends! Welcome to another edition of Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday!

For me it's that time of the month, yeah, I said it...the end of the month in my day life where you have to dig a little deeper, put in the extra hours (loving that OT, though), contend with more potential problems and hyperactive clients who make you the hero one minute, a crucified scapegoat the next. Believe me, in my 15 years in the mortgage field I've gathered quite a number of stories to tell, and you'll get a taste in my angst novel I'm currently writing on the side...whenever I get the time to finish it, of course...

Fighting to stay healthy with a sore throat and that "deathly feeling" you get when you're about to come down with a fever or the flu, but a steady intake of tea, Tang, juice and ginger ale and some uncharacteristic burrowing under the covers for lengthier bits of time is helping the cause. At least it gave me time to watch Ang Lee's brilliant Chinese political drama Lust Caution and without spoiling things, I really took to this erotic story of seduction and misadventure in occupied China and I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Because of my wife's sinus surgery, I've spent a lot of time on the run meeting her needs, which probably helped usher me to the dead-bed myself, so I've been working in a limited capacity to meet a few deadlines, and probably the music intake is less than usual as a result. I've been rather stuck on The Police's Synchronicity and remembering that 13 year old in transition from angry geek who had to drop fisticuffs in middle school to a more self-realized kid in a new environment with a different outlook on things. It helped my confidence, given the headbanger's path I soon chose and never had to brawl with my peers for--at least not physically. Synchronicity, Def Leppard's Pyromania and Prince's Purple Rain were three of my most-played albums before I started filtering in Maiden, Priest, Twisted Sister and eventually all of the mainstream hard rock and metal bands of the early eighties. The rest, as they say...

Some new stuff I've managed to spin and am tripping out to are new discs from The Sword, Darsombra and Zodiak. I've squeezed in Madonna's Ray of Light a number of times as it represents a state a calm I need, particularly in the rush-rush-kill-yourself pace of the past week. I'm always entranced by "Frozen," one of the most sensual songs I've ever heard, as is The Police's "Wrapped Around Your Finger," which I've backed up a few times when playing Synchronicity. And for good measure, let's not forget Marc Rizzo's gorgeous acoustic flamenco tracks like "Angelina's Song" and "Mamacita" from his otherwise scorching The Ultimate Devotion album. Yeah, I'm a puss, so what?



The Police - Synchronicity
Marc Rizzo - The Ultimate Devotion
Madonna - Ray of Light
Gorillaz - Demon Days
OMD - Live: Architecture & Morality & More
Stray Cats - Rumble in Brixton
Javelina - S/T
Ministry - The Land of Rape and Honey
Ministry - The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste
The Sword - Gods of the Earth
Zodiak - Sermons
Darsombra - Eternal Jewel
Forty Acres - Broken Promise
Heidevolk - Walhalla Wacht

11 comments:

bob_vinyl said...

De Novo Dahl - Move Every Muscle, Make Every Move
Strangers Die Every Day - Aperture for Departure
(I highly recommend these first two; reviews are on my site)
Lack of Afro - Touch My Soul
Hot Chip - Made in the Dark
Mouse Fire - Wooden Teeth
Carcrashlander
Goldfinger - Hello Destiny
Van Morrison - Keep It Simple
Dolly Parton - Backwoods Barbie
*Lord Tracy - Deaf Gods of babylon
*Little Caesar - s/t

* These weren't really by choice, but for Metal Mark's Lesser of Two Evils feature. Check it out, because at least one of them got slaughtered.

David Amulet said...

You've got a lot on your plate--hang in there. You know that I respect your diverse tastes, b/c I also dabble between genres.

I'm traveling this week, so I don't have my usual six car CDs to relate. Instead, I'll tell you what my recently played iPhone tracks have been from:

Genesis, Trespass
Deep Purple, Machine Head
The Who, Who's Next
Iron Maiden, Number of the BEast
The Doors, L.A. Woman
Thin Lizzy, Jailbreak
Anthony Phillips, The Geese and the Ghost
Dio, The Last in Line
Earth, The Bees ... (which I picked up thanks to you)

cjk_44 said...

ray: hang tough, buddy. you're an inspiration - awesome choices this week. i'll join in you with Synchronicity being a great recording.

my picks this week aren't too diverse - mostly good ol' fashioned hard rock.

1. King’s X – Dogman
2. Motorhead – Ace of Spades
3. Tesla – Real to Reel 1, Real to Reel 2, The Great Radio Controversy
4. AC/DC – Powerage, Let There Be Rock
5. Nazareth – Hair of the Dog (yes, I skipped over “Love Hurts”)
6. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds – Murder Ballads

Ian Aiken said...

1.SLAYER - Divine Intervention
2.FRANK ZAPPA - Sheik Yourbuti (I can't remember how to spell it and I'm too damn lazy right now to go downstairs and get it)
3.OPETH - Still Life, Deliverance
4.TORI AMOS - To Venus and Back (still)
5.KATAKLYSM - The Prophecy
6.DEEP PURPLE - Machine Head
7.PINK FLOYD - Animals
8.KISS/Ace Frehley solo album
9.DEMOLITION HAMMER - Epidemic of Violence, Time Bomb

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

thanks for the good word, bros...always hanging, though did a 13 hour shift last night, but a lot of us were there burning the oil, whew...

Bob, I get the feeling Little Caesar gets torched...I know those two recommends are something I'll want to check out...I'll be a sport and ask how the new Dolly is? I got so many press releases on that album I was like, "Whoa, should I be paying attention or what?

David, you took time to play here on the road? I'm honored. Where are you abouts? Flattered you took my Earth recommendation. How are you liking it?

cjk, I was thinking the same thing looking at your list; mostly laid-back no-frills RNR. I dig it

ian, sweet selection yourself, mang, good and heavy with the Zappa touch too... I'll have to remember to grab Joe's Garage off the shelf in the immediate future

bob_vinyl said...

Ray, obviously you don't remember Lord Tracy very well, because they got hammered by both Mark and I.

The new Dolly Parton is mediocre. Her voice is still good, but she's returned to the country-pop that has made up her most successful years. Over the last several years, she's released some rootsy bluegrass-tinged stuff that has been fantastic (including a great cover of Collective Soul's "Shine" on Little Sparrow). Backwoods Barbie has some decent moments, but most of it is pretty blah and her cover of Fine Young Cannibals' "She Drives Me Crazy" is a disaster.

David Amulet said...

Ray: When I'm winding down, I check out this and a couple of other sites. It keeps me sane.

In Chicago this week--and getting some snow here. Odd, I thought spring was arriving!

I love the Earth album, it's right up my alley. What else would you recommend in what I'm thinking of as the "melodic sludge" or "musical drone" subgenre that this (hopefully) represents more of?

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Funny, my instinct told me to go with Lord Tracy but I didn't pay attention, lol...

As a kid I just couldn't get into Dolly though I was mesmerized by her, not just for the obvious reasons, but that because she's a beautiful woman. Given our discussions on country cave-ins, I'd say I'd rather go with the bluegrass stuff than the plastic fantastic

David, you humble me, brother. To think my little page here offers anyone a little recluse is pretty outstanding for me. Appreciate that boost o' confidence.

If you can stomach the brutality of them, Sunn O))) is one of the best drone metal bands out there, but they can be a chore even for the pro listeners of dark music. Incidentally Boris and Sunn O))) did an album together that's worth checking out. I've heard a lot of not-so-good drone out there and honestly, none of (as of yet) matches up to Dylan Carlson in my book. He's a total genius.

Obviously Sleep is a high recommendation if you're not turned onto them yet; it's High On Fire's Matt Pike's older band.

Now if you want to drift into the Isis realm of art drone, this is one of my favorite sounds right now, and I can recommend a ton, like Isis, Pelican, Neurosis, Rosetta, Balboa, Mouth of the Architect, Intronaut, Long Distance Calling, The Autumn Project and then there's the mix-and-match offshoot projects featuring members of these bands like Windmills by the Ocean, Red Sparowes, Zodiak (whom I reviewed this week) and others. This branch, to me, is where it's in metal right now. It's the most literate and intelligent form of heavy music being created as a collective body.

And if you're up for a different style of drone, check out Darsombra, whom I also reviewed this week.

Metal Mark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Metal Mark said...

I am listening to...
Pharaoh-Be Gone
Hulda-Always Haunted
Syndicate-Demo 2008
Fight-K5 War of Words demos
Bangalore Choir-On target
Montrose-s/t
Ministry-Cover up
Journey-Frontiers
Warhorse-Red Sea
Witchcraft-The Alchemist

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Yeah, I have Pharoah in my soon-to-play pile...their last one was very good. I was thinking about Journey the other day but didn't grab any to listen to. Weird cosmos...