The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Velvet Revolver Parts Ways With Scott Weiland



Citing incompatability due to "increasingly erratic" behavior in the band, Velvet Revolver has severed ties with Scott Weiland. Aside from Velvet Revolver making numerous adjustments to their touring, publicity and recording schedules to accommodate Weiland's rehab sessions and court dates related to charges of driving under the influence of drugs, there's been reputed tension between Weiland and drummer Matt Sorum.

In a public statement, lead guitarist Slash was quoted as saying, "The band is all about its fans and its music, and Scott Weiland isn't 100% committed to either. Among other things, his increasingly erratic onstage behavior and personal problems have forced us to move on."

The headline-generating Weiland won't be without a band home for too long, however, as Stone Temple Pilots has officially announced a full reunion with Weiland returning to the front. STP is already booking gigs for a summer tour, including the Rock on the Range festival in Columbus, Ohio May 17-18.

8 comments:

Christina said...

I was disappointed but not surprised seeing as Scott has always been a little unstable. I am a huge fan of VR and STP. Love Slash, love Duff, think that they were collectively incredible. I hope Scott gets himself together, not only because he is an incredible vocalist, but for himself and his family. They all did have amazing chemistry while they were together, but like any people who spend so much time together, they fought. I hope we can see lots of good material come out of this. Creative people write VERY well when their angry. Best of luck to all band memebers.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Welcome, Christina! I agree with you; I was quite surprised initially how well they meshed with Scott and thought, "Maybe this cat can finally get his act together in a band with this much talent." Who wouldn't want Slash as their guitarist? I understand the anger making great music thing; that's why Black Flag was so good, but I suppose that unhinged anger can eventually take its toll.

Christina said...

Who should replace Scott? Media suggestions give a few ideas..Gary Cherrone, Chris Cornell, ex-lead from Living Colour, Sebastian Bach. Cornell has too much ego, although I think his voice would be good. Gary doesn't have the range. I was a skeptic about Sebastian until yesterday when I heard Skid Row cover of Crazy Train, (HUGE Sebastian fan), but I think he's worth a go. Gotta find a singer that can stay true(ish)to their sound..Opinions?

David Amulet said...

I had hoped VR would stick it out ... although STP was one of the only 90s bands I could stomach, so I'm eager to hear how they sounds back together.

My vote for new vocalist for VR: Jeff Scott Soto. I think he could pull it off, after hearing the edge he provided to some classic Journey tunes ...

Christina said...

Just waiting to see what good material comes out of all of this. Hopefully from this point on they can all be grown-ups and learn to part ways with some respect for each other. It's a war of words between Scott and Slash--they should both know better, and use their anger for creative purposes-slander and bulls*** is just not cool.Jeff Soto...interesting choice, I'm not sure he would work, but we'll have to see. Are they still planning to release an album this year?

Hard Rock Hideout said...

I don't know if you guys are familiar with Rod Jackson, the singer on the second Slash's Snakepit CD. I was listening to that disc again, and he could absolutely crush those VR songs. He has more of a rock sounding voice than Weiland, and has a lot better range.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Then again, you can use my conspiracy theory plot: Slash and Axl bury the hatchet, Axl cleans up and takes over in VR and in a twist of fate, Velvet Revolver finishes and releases Chinese Democracy!

Christina said...

Rod Jackson would be an appropriate choice seeing as there already is familiarity there...Axl has no voice left, outta shape and is such an egotistical powertripper hahaha...I used to be such an Axl fan. Anyone heard any Scott/Slash/VR/STP news over the weekend?