The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 4/23/08

Greetings, all... Hope your week is moving along to your favor. A lightened posting schedule certainly doesn't stop the avalanche of things from pouring down; in fact, it seems my personal being is in more demand becuase of it, but really, when you stop and think about it, we're put on this earth to serve a purpose and serve others, so you just try to think of it in those terms and try not to grunt and grumble along the way. The opposite would be less preferable, I'm sure.

The Stanley Cup is well under way and the first round just ended last night. Since my wife incessantly watches what I refer to as "crap t.v." as in these confounded reality shows, I jokingly told her I lost respect for her when I found her watching Tela Tequila (or however you spell it) after she complained there was a second run of A Shot of Love. Let her and this sadly lost generation of "reality" junkies be suckered like the zombies they are. Me, I decided to give myself some hockey time. As I used to be a game analyst for an online hockey site, I've been occasionally bummed that I missed the majority of the NHL season with all of my obligations and pursuits, but if I can sneak in some ice time (and it doesn't seem like ol' wifey's gonna cave on those awful shows), that'll be to the good.

As I step back a little on things to regroup and refocus, I'm trying to drag out more items from the shelf just to freshen up my ears with familiar tunes and reconnect with the music fan that birthed the part-time music journalist. I mean, let's face it; after awhile, crunching out review and review does take its toll. After reviewing a Doors DVD over the weekend, I went straight for the first Doors album, which I found had a stabilizing effect on me musically, but it also gave me inspiration for a new piece I hope to fine-tune for whenever I make it out to open mike next. Jim Morrison may have been a prince of darkness, but his gift with words is undeniable and he is quite inspirational upon my work from time-to-time.

So let's rock 'em, flock...



The Doors - S/T
Six Feet Under soundtrack
Guns 'n Roses - Appetite For Destruction
Opeth - Damnation
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Spiritual Beggars - S/T
Depeche Mode - Ultra
Depeche Mode - Exciter
Dead Man - Euphoria
Blue Skies For Black Hearts - Serenades and Hand Grenades
Experience.Hold - S/T
Ted Nugent - Sweden Rocks
Overkill - Immortalis
Century - Black Ocean
Volbeat - Rock the Rebel/Metal the Devil
Today is the Day - Supernova
Patsy Cline - Anytime
Cursed - Three

15 comments:

Bob said...

GO PENGUINS!!

The Sword – Gods of the Earth
High on Fire – The Art of Self Defense
Clutch – Blast Tyrant
Tons of Random Metal on the IPod – I built a hundred song playlist of only fast songs that I run to after work.

Metal Mark said...

Yes, this sadly lost generation of "reality" junkies is far worse than than the sadly lost generation of cheeseball sitcom junkies of the 70's and 80's.

I am listening to...
Matriden-The unsettling dark
Black Rain-Innoncet Rosie
Saints of the udnerground-Love the sin, hate the sinner
Damaged Dolls-demo
Phantom Witch-s/t
Yayo Sanchez-demo
The Hounds of Hasselvander-s/t
Merciless Death-Realm of terror
Dead Man-Euphoria

bob_vinyl said...

Love - Forever Changes
The Drift - Ceiling Sky
Look Mexico - The Crucial Collection
Mono - Gone
You Me & Iowa - The Adventures of You Me & Iowa
Dead Leaf Echo - Pale Fire
Niki Barr Band - Bloom
The Backsliders - You're Welcome
Trever Keith - Melancholics Anonymous

Rhodeislandrock said...

Whitesnake - Good To Be Bad
Asia - Phoenix
Lana Lane - Red Planet Boulevard
Pharaoh - Be Gone

Thanks to Metal Mark and Rob Rockitt for the next two selections from The Lesser of Two Evils.....

Junkyard - s/t
Noisy Mama - Everybody Has One

Steve
Heavy Metal Addiction

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Bob, I'm quite sure the Pens/Rangers series is going to be the one to watch in the next round considering the time off they've had and the quick dispatching of their previous opponents. Not sure if the Flyers can hold up to Montreal; they were outclassed by the Caps on numerous occasions, so... And of course the Wings/Avalanche series ought to be gonzo, though looking at last night's Sharks/Flames game, it oughtta be a brutal hitting series against Dallas.

Mark, do I detect some sarcasm there? I know you definitely fall into the latter category as would I. Gimme the old cheese and some fifties t.v. and screw what's on network today outside of a couple decent shows. And what's this bullshit t.v. calls a "season" now? 10-12 episodes and then a break and they call that a season? What happened to a 26 episode season? All in the name of being able to pimp DVDs. Are you liking that Dead Man disc? That one took me by surprise but I'm digging it.

Bob V, I'm going to call you the president of the Niki Barr fan club on top of their bio writer!

Rhodey, Junkyard indeed. I never did care much for them. Gimme Baker in Dag Nasty or Bad Religion instead!

David Amulet said...

I just had the Doors album in circulation last week! Good stuff, and it just gets better. I still wonder how powerful some of those songs could have been with more modern engineering/production ...

My six in the changer this week:

Whitesnake, Good To Be Bad
Whitesnake, s/t
Buckcherry, 15
Motley Crue, Shout at the Devil
Metal Church, s/t
Camel, The Snow Goose

cjk_44 said...

1. At the Gates – Slaughter of the Soul
2. Children of Bodom – Bloodrunk
3. Samael – Passage
4. Extol – Synergy
5. At the Drive-In – Relationship of Command
6. Dream Theater – Greatest Hit (and 21 Other Pretty Cool Songs)
7. Amorphis – Tuonela
8. Tom Petty – Highway Companion

i'm still pissed at the NHL team owners and the NHLPA for the strike and i've sworn off hockey since. but i did watch a few of the Game 6's and 7s. i'm still mad, but those Caps/Flyers and Bruins/Habs games were fun to watch.

Ian Aiken said...

1. OPETH - Still Life 5.1 Surround version
2. HAIL OF BULLETS - S/T EP
3. YES - Tales From Topographic Oceans, Union
4. BLACK SABBATH - Paranoid
5. PINK FLOYD - The Division Bell
6. STEVE HOWE - Skyline
7. PESTILENCE - Spheres
8. KREATOR - Pleasure to Kill
9. DEATH - Leprosy, Human

Pretty much the same stuff except for the new OPETH 5.1 Still Life mix and the Hail of Bullets EP which has none other than Martin van Drunen on vocals. I can't wait for their full length LP.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Yeah, I thought of that too, David, but I'm wondering if something would've been lost with more modern production since The Doors (the band portion) were mostly instinctual players that I'm not sure would've translated so well in a modern recording. As it is with digital transfer you can pick up the imperfections, yet it is all so naturally live you have to love it. And shit, I forgot I'd spun Shout and Too Fast For love last week! Doh!

cjk, I know what you mean and I was pissed too; I bailed on baseball for the same reason; once there was no World Series and then shortly thereafter when the Marlins were disbanded after winning a championship due to salary cap, I said fuck this and haven't looked back. I used to love baseball. Now I only care when I go to see it live.

Ian, I've yet to hear that new Opeth piece....nice!

countshockula said...

Dreaded Devils fan here (though i'm from mass, go figure) but I'm glad to see that you've gotten over your thing about "appetite"

Ian Aiken said...

The new Still Life in 5.1 surround sound is amazing. Some bands should be left in stereo but I think that Opeth is one of those bands that should have every one of their albums released in 5.1 surround sound.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Count, sorry, about your Devils; it's early to say, but so far those Pens are avenging you. Yeah, regarding Appetite, there's just some things that need to locked in the closet and thus they'll remain, if only in the interest of good rock 'n roll!

Ian, I know what you mean, because watching the Opeth footage on the Gigantour 2 DVD, I was only running it through my stereo and it had the most massive fills of all the bands, Megadeth beign second

Anonymous said...

Preview These Busty Beauties >>>> CLICK HERE

cjk_44 said...

oh my. damn the spam.

with the encouragement of friends i am learning to accept the NHL and allow it to be a part of my life. it's not easy.

i have a soft spot for the Devils as my rec league team won quite a few *championships* using the our own logo on the away Devils jersey.

i never could let the baseball problems interfere with my love for the Red Sox. the last baseball strike ended up killing any interest my father-in-law had for the game. he still hasn't watched a game since.

i think the new Opeth is going to be pretty good from what i've heard so far. the intensity seems to be a bit more aggressive this time around.

pcsolotto said...

Whoever owns this blog, I would like to say that he has a great idea of choosing a topic.