The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 4/9/08

Top 'o the hump day to you, faithful readers...

Not a lot to say though there's plenty on my mind, some good and some bad, thus I'm going to begin the process of self-cleansing to make sense of it all as soon as I can implement it. That'll hopefully start sometime this week as I'll attempt to make it out to an open mike event and read some new poetry I've written and sort of reconnect with that particular part of my soul that I've lost over the past couple years. There's some changes coming in my future (many very exciting) so it's time to sweep the clutter out and get a fresh attitude with which to embrace it all.

A mixed bag of old school rock and metal along with some cool new vibes in Promoville such the space rockin' new album from Farflung, which you'll be reading about shortly, the coolly complicated cyberstoner of End of Level Boss and a few others.

Mostly it's been about getting in touch with that 17-old-headbanger and remembering who he was and who he's become now, so expect to see a heavy dash of the old school in weeks to come. This week Guns 'n Roses gets dibs as I start making my way towards dragging Appetite For Destruction off the shelf and giving it a long overdue listen through older ears. For this week it's been the Use Your Illusion trip, mainly the first one and I've been singing "Shotgun Blues" in my head most of the week and "Bad Obsession" quite a number of times as well. I'm drowning in "November Rain" and still in awe of it since the first time I ever heard it. Could it be in the top ten of all-time greatest rock songs ever written? Maybe. I can say that Slash's emotionally gut-wrenching solo in the final stanza ranks as a top five in that department. Brings a slight mist to my eyes when I hear it, daaaamn... For the length of time I'd pushed Guns 'n Roses out of my life, it feels pretty good to have 'em back...



Guns 'n Roses - Use Your Illusion I and II
Farflung - A Wound In Eternity
End Of Level Boss - Inside the Difference Engine
Judas Priest - British Steel
Judas Priest - Point of Entry
Judas Priest - Stained Class
Whitesnake - Slide it In
Whitesnake - Whitesnake
Whitesnake - Good to Be Bad
Annihilator - Schizo Deluxe
Annihilator - All For You
Glenn Hughes - Songs in the Key of Rock
Hughes-Turner Project - HTP2
Century - Black Ocean
The Backsliders - You're Welcome
Today is the Day - S/T

11 comments:

bob_vinyl said...

Bushwhack - s/t
My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
Carcrashlander - s/t
Liam Finn - I'll Be Lightning
Star Anna - Crooked Path
Ministry - Cover Up
Social Distortion - Greatest Hits
King Wilkie - Low Country Suite
Whitesnake - Bad to Be Bad
Moving Mountains - Pneuma
Kate Nash - Made of Bricks
Asia - Phoenix
Simon & Garfunkel - Greatest Hits

Bob said...

What’s up fellas? Well, Gods of the Earth is as good as I thought it would be and I’m really digging Sleep’s Holy Mountain. I just found out Clutch is coming to Atlantic City this summer, can’t wait to see them.

The Sword – Gods of the Earth
Sleep – Sleep’s Holy Mountain
High on Fire – The Art of Self Defense
Clutch – From Beale Street to Oblivion
Foo Fighters – One by One
Demiricous – Two (Poverty)

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Bob V, you're a rube as always... What do you think of that Ministry album? Mark dug it but I didn't so much, considering I've always liked Ministry. I like your Simon & Garfunkel choice these days.

Bob, lemme know how Clutch does. I've seen them once and loved them, but I know others haven't shared my enthusiasm about their live set. That Sword album is good, isn't it?

Rhodeislandrock said...

The Sword - Gods Of The Earth
Avantasia - The Scarecrow
Lana Lane - Red Planet Boulevard

These 3 are in regular rotation right now but I also have the upcoming Pharoah album spinning and I just picked up the reissue of Keel - Lay Down The Law yesterday.

Steve
Heavy Metal Addiction

Ian Aiken said...

1. BLACK SABBATH - S/T, Sabotage
2. YES - Relayer, The Ladder
3. ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE - S/T (basically YES without Chris Squire)
4. GRAVE - You'll Never See, Into The Grave
5. IMMOLATION - Dawn of Possession
6. CYNIC - Focus
7. KING CRIMSON - Thrak
8. KATAKLYSM - Epic, The Poetry of War
9. AGALLOCH - Pale Folklore

Metal Mark said...

Danger-Shove it up your azz and California Red
Damaged Dolls-demo
ShannoN-Angel in disguise
Farflung-A wound in eternity
Soilent Green-Inevitable Collapse In The Presence Of Conviction
Lizzy Borden-several titles
The Cars-Greatest Hits
Celtic Frost-Morbid Tales

David Amulet said...

A nice mix, Ray. My six this week are:

Rush, Caress of Steel
The Sword, Age of Winters
Nine Inch Nails, With Teeth
The Decemberists, Crane Wife
Mastodon, Leviathan
Yes, Drama

Bobby V, how is Asia's new Phoenix album??

cjk_44 said...

the list might not show it, but i'm feeling a serious turn to some extreme music. The Haunted and Burnt by the Sun are a good place to start.

1. The Sword – Gods of the Earth, Age of Winters
2. Joe Satriani – Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock
3. Burnt by the Sun – Soundtrack to the Personal Revolution
4. The Haunted – rEVOLVEr
5. Down – Over the Under
6. AC/DC – Live (double CD version)
7. The Rolling Stones – Goats Head Soup

ray, i love the positive vibes from your post.

bob, clutch is awesome in the live setting. if you haven't seem 'em you'll love it.

ian, i love seeing Grave on your list. funny, i was thinking of pulling the Cynic disc out this week.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

cjk, I'm definitely looking for more positivity and I had a great open mike last night after not doing it for a couple years and I just fell into the reading and started gesticulating the words because it felt so good, and the audience reaction was incredible to me; someone suggested I go into acting, which has never in my life been a thought; I'd need serious training, but that thought lifted me up and just everyone's treatment of me was very kind...hopefully I'll have more time for that; good for the soul; and yes, The Haunted's a good way to get rolling

Glad to see so much love for The Sword this week BTW, fellas...

Ian, I'd have to say that's quite a phenomenal list; I love your continuous artistic choices; I can tell you're in serious creation mode

Mark, how'd you like Farflung? It's definitely my cool album pick of the week. I know you told me about that Shannon disc and I should check it out; good pick on The Cars; I never grow bored of them

Rhodey, I know I have that Avantasia promo around here somewhere; been meaning to give it some attention

Ian Aiken said...

I love old GRAVE. Their new stuff is super cool too but I'd still have to say that You'll Never See is my favorite.
CYNIC rules. When I saw them on the Focus tour that was the first time I ever experienced the crowd just shutting up and listening. Then they would clap between each song. There were only two other times I've experienced that. The first was at OPETH's first U.S. appearance and the other time was the first time that I saw YES live.
You can tell a band has talent and musicianship when the crowd is totally silent and watching them during their set and then claps and cheers in between songs.

I'm getting back to serious creation mode. I basically have to go back and redo my drum tracks for the new cd because my computer that I use for recording completely crashed. I had backup copies of the songs I did but it was just a stereo mix of the drum tracks and me, being the total control freak that I am, want to have control over each drum during mixing. So it's basically starting over from scratch.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

oh, piss, that would absolutely kill me, Ian, and I know you're juggling quite a plate yourself, so to have to start anew has to be a major pisser....sorry man, and good luck getting back on track