The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesdays - 6/18/08

Hola, crew. Been lax on this segment at The Metal Minute as I am posting in general, but let's just say my life has been turned upside down with the arrival of a foster baby named Troy who is the cutest thing but is also tremendous work. Then four days after we get him, I get laid off from work. Suffice it to say my time has been consumed looking for work and trying to be strong for a little kid who could use a more present male figure in his life at this point in time. Quite likely he'll be reunified with his biological parents, but for now we're doing our best to keep him safe and happy. Double the pressure, you might say, as this year has easily been the most trying I've ever contended with. 'Nuff said.

Of course my reviewing and music journalism output is down considerably as I'm prioritizing my life until it gets put back into a semblence of order. I've listened to a lot of Underground Garage on Sirius and a smaller handful of albums while in the back of my mind I'm trying to piece together a hypothetical soundtrack of music to my fiction project I've had on the burners. After contacting the eighties rock band The Fixx and receiving their generous consent, said project is going to be called "Saved By Zero." Thus, The Fixx's Reach the Beach is my most-spun album these days along with a little attack of the eighties, shall we say... I dunno, maybe I can do a sequel after this one and use Minor Threat's "Salad Days."



The Fixx - Reach the Beach
The Go Go's - Beauty and the Beat
The Go Go's - Talk Show
Elvis Costello - My Aim is True
Elvis Costello - Spike
Flogging Molly - Float
Grief of War - A Mounting Crisis... As Their Fury Got Released
Black Sabbath - The Rules of Hell
Boris - Smile
Between the Buried and Me - Alaska
Jon Oliva's Pain - Global Warning

11 comments:

David Amulet said...

You have a lot on your shoulders right now; I can't believe you're still writing as much as you are given what you have going on. Kudos.

A great choice with "Saved by Zero." One of my underappreciated '80s tunes.

Upon my return home this week, I decided to just go alphabetically, grabbing for my car's CD changer one CD from each of the first six bands I couldn't remember listening to in a while. Here they are:

Abdullah, Graveyard Poetry
AC/DC, High Voltage
Accept, Balls to the Wall
Bryan Adams, Cuts Like a Knife
Aerosmith, s/t
Angel Witch, s/t

Fred Charles said...

Good luck finding a new job. I was laid off last year and I know the pain. On the brightside, I ended up finding a job that I enjoy much more.

I was at the Maiden show in Camden last night, so I have nothing to complain about.

1. Iron Maiden - All!!!!
2. Opeth - Watershed
3. Slough Feg - Down Among the Deadmen
4. Six Organs - The Sun Awakens
5. Motorhead - Kiss of Death

Metal Mark said...

Lots of Journey
Alibi-s/t
Slaughter-Strappado and Not dead yet/Paranormal (re-issues)
Pestilence-Malleus Malificarum (re-issue)
Lessdress-Dumblondes
Houston!-Fast in elegance
Ganon-As above, so below
Fates Warning-Perfect Symmetry (2 CD, 1 DVD re-issue)

Ian Aiken said...

Been busy trying to record lately so not very many new things on the list.

1. BLACK SABBATH - All with Ozzy.....
2. KATEY SAGAL - Well (yep it's the chick that played Peg Bundy, she's a really good singer)
3. KATAKLYSM - Prevail
4. MESHUGGAH - Nothing
5. KING CRIMSON - Starless and Bible Black
6. FRANK ZAPPA - Apostrophe(')
7. GOBLIN - Suspiria soundtrack
8. KREATOR - Extreme Aggression
9. OPETH - All......

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

David, it ain't easy, my friend, and I'm in the position of having to tell my reps that I need time to find a job before devoting myself so heavily again. Thanks on the SBZ; it just hit me out of nowhere that the lyrics apply to the spirit of the book and it was most of generous of The Fixx to get behind it. Now I have to make that shit happen! Plus the metal book to, lol... I like what's come out of your A's

Fred, by sheer luck of generosity from a friend, I ended up at Maiden last night in MD too...oh, my Lord, a top 10 show easily! Thanks for the encouraging words; I've been here before and it's getting fucking old; but in this profession that's the nature of the beast, pun intended

Mark, I have a gift card and make invest in that new Journey album and the new Priest since it doesn't look like any promo is being handled on that, though I did get a kickass Fight package with DVD and remasters of the albums; I've never lost my liking for Journey, that's for sure

Ian, another great list and I never knew Sagal sang, but she sure is a funny chick! Suspiiiiriiiiaaaaaaa... Good luck with the new material, bro

Fred Charles said...

How about that Rime of the Ancient Mariner live??? Moonchild? How awesome was that?

I still say that Maiden are better live now than they were in the 80s. Their energy is amazing.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I was hoping they'd do "Rime" and was thrilled to pieces. "Moonchild" was a surprise as was them closing with "Hallowed Be Thy Name." Yes, their energy inspired me, truly. What a spectacle.

The Mule said...

Best of luck with everything, Ray, and thanks for the plug for Unrestrained! last month.

Dead Man–Euphoria
David Bowie–The Man Who Sold the World
Opeth–Watershed
Hail of Bullets–Of Frost and War
Jex Thoth–s/t

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

my pleasure, dude; glad to be on the team!

cjk_44 said...

whoops - a little late.

1. Opeth – Watershed
2. Moonspell – Night Eternal
3. King Crimson – The Collectable King Crimson: Volume 3 (Live, 1996)
4. The Gathering – Mandylion, Nighttime Birds, Souvenirs
5. Paradise Lost – Believe in Nothing, Host
6. No-Man – Flowermouth
7. Firewind – The Premonition, Allegiance
8. Albert King – The Best of Albert King

everything happens for a reason. keep looking, talking, and fighting and luck has a way of find you.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

putting it all in the hands of the universe while continuing to fight and sledge through it, thanks, bro