The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 7/16/08

And here we are, folks, another midweek checkpoint. Hope you're all hanging in there and doing well.

I want to talk a second about soundtracks. Unfortunately in the modern age, as with everything else, a good idea that's been around for ages is twisted and skewed to become a mass marketing tool, so much that we've had the lame phenomenon of "music inspired by _________" in addition to the handful of songs that actually appear in a movie. Not that movie soundtracks are hot sellers much these days, still, you have to give a lot of the raspberry for a lack of credibility in what is naturally to be construed as a fast buck.

When you think of the great movie soundtracks like American Graffiti, Pulp Fiction, Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, Forrest Gump, Six Feet Under, High Fidelity, Fast Times at Ridgemont, Purple Rain, Pump Up the Volume, The Virgin Suicides, The Graduate, Dirty Dancing, A Clockwork Orange and sorts like that, the music filling and moreover, adorning those films can actually be heard in the movies themselves, albeit usually in small dashes carefully cut to accent a 20-30 second scene, but strung together, the pulse of the music in relation to the film cannot be denied.

Being the overambitious forward-thinking-to-a-fault chap that I am, I have a fiction project I've been tapping at and I keep coming back to it to write in spurts. It's already outlined and I constantly draw new bits of inspiration with which to add to it, but even more so, I've had a hypothetical soundtrack to the as-of-yet unfilmed adaptation of this project in my mind for months. This past weekend I went ahead and tugged out 60-plus albums from the wall and really gave them a once-over to organize a two-disc pool of songs that tells the majority of my story through music. Having ripped them into a reasonable succession and played it all back, I'm very pleased with the effect I'm hearing, and even more possibilities and inspiration has trickled through, as I'd hoped would happen.

Though the "soundtrack" isn't quite as metal as I'd thought it would be, I let instinct be my guide and it's more punkish with a hefty portion of eighties nostalgic pop, as well as a few scores a romantic tunes, ending with a morose funereal chant by Dead Can Dance and then the melancholic "Heartbreak Station" by Cinderella. In-between are songs by Circle Jerks, Redd Kross, Eagles of Death Metal, Duran Duran, The Go Gos, The Fixx, Down By Law, Black Flag, Joy Division, New Order, Prince, Suicidal Tendencies, Boris, Thievery Corporation, Paris Combo, Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution and many others. I'm loving the overall pump of the two discs and can picture most of them where they'd fit into my hypothetical film version. I've always wanted to be a Hollywood film music director (amongst my many ambitions), and so this is a small taste of it on my own terms.

Suffice it to say, I've spent the past few days wrapping my head around these discs and drawing strength from them in what's already been a tough week. Of course, before that, I got a few discs reviewed and I couldn't get enough of the new Keep of Kalessin album, thus that one's the official spin winner of the week. The new Alice Cooper album just arrived, as did the new Mouth of the Architect, which I can't wait to spin. Mouth is one of those bands who've progressed with each album and they are amazing live, so I'm anxious to hear what direction they've gone this time. I also discovered that the baby loves the synth rock of eighties electro pioneers OMD, thus that is getting some love around the house, suffice it to say. So my playlist is very short by my standards, but the music has been my kindred nonetheless...



Keep of Kalessin - Kolossus
Alice Cooper - Along Came a Spider
Cataract - S/T
Equilibrium - Sagas
Marduk - Those of the Unlight
MSG - In the Midst of Beauty
Tyr - Land
Ascend - Ample Fire Within
OMD - Live Architecture & Morality & More

7 comments:

Metal Mark said...

Warpath-Damnation
Cult of Luna-Eternal Kingdom
TKO-Let it roll and In your face re-issues
Laaz Rockit-Left for dead
Vamps -n- Gypsies-Wine stains and smashed glass
Reino Ermitano-Rituales Interiores
Gama Bomb-Citizen Brain

Rhodeislandrock said...

Judas Priest - Nostradamus: I put this down for a week but I listened to it this AM

Benedictum - Uncreation (2006) & Seasons Of Tragedy (2008): Female-fronted Traditional Metal by Veronica Freeman.....she has a huge voice. I'm digging the first album more than the new one.

On deck.....
Pride Tiger - The Lucky Ones
TKO - Let It Roll reissue
TKO - In Your Face reissue
Revmatic - Cold Blooded Demon

Steve
Heavy Metal Addiction

David Amulet said...

My car's six CDs:

Motley Crue, Dr. Feelgood (concert last Sunday)
Sixx AM, s/t (same)
Huey Lewis and the News, Sports
Black Sabbath, Paranoid
Collective Soul, s/t
Yes, Fragile

cjk_44 said...

I went heavy on progressive metal this week.

1. Opeth – Watershed
2. Riverside – Second Life Syndrome
3. Cult of Luna – The Beyond, Salvation, Somewhere Along the Highway
4. Pain of Salvation – Be
5. Mayadome – Near Life Experience
6. Black Bonzo – Sound of the Apocalypse

Mark, I have Eternal Kingdom but as you can see I’m prepping for it by re-listening to Cult of Luna’s previous albums. I hope Eternal Kingdom is as good as I’ve heard.

Ray, it’s been years since I’ve dug out my Keep of Kalessin discs – you’ve got me intrigued about their latest. You’re a brave, daring soul - I find it hard to write and I’d bet I’d find it damn near impossible to actually pick a *soundtrack* to go along with my writing.

Tracks via YouTube:

Trey Gunn – “Sozzle”
Secret Oyster – “Mind Movie”

bob_vinyl said...

I'm listening to the Vans Warped Tour!

Ian Aiken said...

1. BOLT THROWER - Mercenary, Those Once Loyal
2. KATAKLYSM - Prevail
3. HAIL OF BULLETS - Of Frost and War
4. KING CRIMSON - Discipline
5. RUSH - Moving Pictures, Grace Under Pressure
6. MERCYFUL FATE - Melissa
7. MACABRE - Sinister Slaughter
8. EXODUS - Bonded By Blood
9. STRAPPING YOUNG LAD - City

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Oh wow, Mark, I didn't know Cult of Luna had a new album out! Did they open up for Mastodon or somebody else? I forget already Cool band, either rate.

So, Steve, how are doing with Nostradamus, obviously the most controversial metal album of the year? I know Benedictum and have two of their albums; pretty good band. Both you and Mark have refreshed my memory banks to go hunt down TKO

David, did the Crue tour already come through here? I swear, with the baby and new job I feel like I don't know anything that's going on, other than The Dark Knight is out today and I must see it!

thanks, cjk, I've been compelled to write since I was 15 and I have my share of supporters and naysayers over the years, though plenty more supporters and the naysayers have proven themselves wrong; the "soundtrack" is partially dedicated to those naysayers who've helped me get at least to where I'm at if not beyond

Bob, your description of Vans and running press sounds like my experiences covering festivals; very hectic; luckily Sounds of the Underground was well-organized and I missed maybe one or two bands total, which gave me time to interview Gwar and In Flames and still get a shitload of pics of most of the bands

Ian, wazzup? Hope your project's going well. I always dig looking at your lists as much as everyone else's