The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 7/23/08

Guttentag, readers, a bit slow on production here at TMM, but my personal time is equally slowed down, all for the obvious reasons, although I've taken a half hour here or there to gnaw on the novel and last night I had a quick ten minute interview with Sound and Fury vocalist Luke Metcalf. Otherwise, it's work, baby, a little bit of sleep, repeat the cycle, get a lot of chores and errands done on Saturday, relax with the entire family on Sunday.

Not a ton of new listening either, but Alice Cooper's latest is the top spinner of the week. As I mentioned in my review, it's just a fun album to sink your teeth into and it'll nibble back at you a little, so by all means, have a go with it. I also got to spin the new Mouth of the Architect album Quietly while running errands last Saturday and these guys just continue to mature. Not sure it delivers the same impact as Ties That Blind, but I'll spin it a few more times before making that judgment. And I've continued to spend time with the classics in the Dio-era Sabbath box set The Rules of Hell, so that basically rounds out the extensiveness of my listening patterns this past week, outside of a little visit to the eighties with Men at Work and and of course some stays at Underground Garage, Punk and Left of Center on Sirius radio. Hope y'all are well; please check in and drop me your spin lists!



Alice Cooper - Along Came a Spider
Mouth of the Architect - Quietly
Sound and Fury - s/t
Men at Work - Contraband: The Best of Men at Work
Black Sabbath - The Rules of Hell

7 comments:

David Amulet said...

I haven't given Alice a listen yet, but I'm looking forward to it. My car's six:

The Sword, Gods of the Earth
Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here
Alice in Chains, Greatest Hits
Metallica, Ride the Lightning
System of a Down, Toxicity
Robert Plant, Now and Zen (which I cite this week @ my site)

Rhodeislandrock said...

It's a quiet day here in Pawtucket, the only music playing right now is 101.9 (Cool 102) the classic rock station on Cape Cod.

Last night at work was good listening.....

Motorhead - Motorizer
TKO - Let It Roll reissue
TKO - In Your Face reissue
Judas Priest - Priest In The East

Steve
Heavy Metal Addiction

cjk_44 said...

i am not a big fan of Alice Cooper but i am happy to see the positive reaction to "Along Came a Spider".

1. The Absence – Riders of the Plague
2. Lizzy Borden – Appointment with Death
3. Cult of Luna – The Beyond, Salvation, Somewhere Along the Highway
4. Daath – The Hinderers
5. Dark Fortress – Eidolon
6. Job for a Cowboy – Genesis
7. Torche – Meanderthal

Tracks via YouTube:

Vader – “Choices”
Robert Plant & Tinkara Kova─Ź – “29 Palms”

Ian Aiken said...

1. DEVIN TOWNSEND - Synchestra, Accelerated Evolution
2. VOIVOD - Katorz, Dimention Hatross
3. FRANK ZAPPA - You Are What You Is
4. KATAKLYSM - All......
5. KREATOR - Terrible Certainy
6. HAIL OF BULLETS - Of Frost and War

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

David, nice balance as always! Hope you dig the new Alice.

Steve, at least you have the opportunity to play your own music at work. I used to at my old job, but now I share a room with two other people and one likes having music on (not metal though) and the other wants silence. Argh! Fortunately the job is so busy and complex it's really not the end of the world, though I do miss having my selected music to keep me calm

cjk, it's a cool album for sure; not positive how many people it can covert, but it's cool...very cool playlist

ian, as always, you have a nice 'n heavy list countered by something random...love it

Metal Mark said...

Alice Cooper-Along came a spider
War of ages-Arise and conquer
Big Elf-Cheat the gallows
David Bowie-Live Santa Monica '72
Billy Idol-Idolize yourself
Tona-1,000
Grave Robber-Be Afraid
Acid King-Busse Park
and watching
Artillery-One foot in the grave and other one in the trash

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Mark, haven't listened to the new War of Ages yet, but they progressed greatly on the previous album