The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesdays - 9/10/08

So, peeps, hope everyone's hanging in there. Glad it's Wednesday already, though I'm so smoked it feels like Thursday already. I've kept a mad dog pace between work, baby, music assignments and now I'm a part-time reporter and photographer for a small local paper. Covered a steam engine show event and then a town meeting last night that was actually quite animated from the locals who were pressuring the council to re-route traffic that has just been ushered through their neighborhood. Small town politics can be interesting from time-to-time...

Had an interview with Paul Speckmann of the old school death metal unit Master. If you haven't had the opportunity to check out Master's Slaves to Society, this one's a goodie; classic death and thrash with no bullshit. May be a top 10 finisher at year's end. Paul, who has been residing in the Czech Republic after leaving the U.S. to join Krabathor, had a lot of interesting comments about life in both countries, as well as a few anecdotes about his former job in a storage place in Hollywood that put him in connection with Philthy Phil and Mikkey Dee of Motorhead, amongst others. Be on the lookout for that piece in an upcoming ish of Metal Maniacs.

Sad to report I've had numerous friends in the mortgage industry inform me they've been let go, even as the stock market jumped in reaction to the federal takeover of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. My opinion, too late to help the industry in the immediate future, and there's been a lot of irreparable damage to families in foreclosed homes as well as those working in a dying industry. Glad I'm employed, though life is a constant struggle in that respect. So it goes, as Kurt Vonnegut would've said.

Spin-wise, I couldn't enough of Bigelf, especially now that I've been assigned an interview with Damon Fox, which should be fun. Did a fair amount of reviews while the baby took his naps on Saturday and have crammed what I could here and there. Tripping on the new Soulfly, which is beastly, and I'm still snickering over the Austrian Death Machine album. The new Acacia Strain album is also very brutal, so have a go with that one. The baby and I watched the new God Forbid DVD together and he was excited beyond words, which makes me a proud foster papa, though I had to turn his back to the t.v. and keep him playing while I ran some Dario Argento horror films that I'm overdue reviewing. The things you do to make it all work...

Speaking of horror stuff, yours truly will be turning into a zombie this Saturday as an extra for an upcoming film called Bane that is shooting locally. I've always wanted to be a film zombie, so I'm stoked to say the least...



Bigelf - Cheat the Gallows
Master - Slaves to Society
Slipknot - All Hope is Gone
Soulfly - Conquer
Austrian Death Machine - Total Brutal
Uli Jon Roth - Under a Dark Sky
Bahimiron - Southern Nihilizm
Wetnurse - Invisible City
The Acacia Strain - Continent
Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis vs. The Earth
Chrome Division - Booze, Broads and Beelzebub
Dead Man - Euphoria
Blackmore's Night - Secret Voyage

13 comments:

Metal Mark said...

If you keep listening to that Austrian Death Machine then it may turn you into a zombie. I got the new Uli Jon Roth, but have not listened to it yet. I have seen about half of that God Forbid DVD and liked what I saw.

Here is my list...
DOA-Northern Avenger
Witch-The hex is on
Damaged Dolls-demo
Johnny Burning-Get up, get loose, get off!
Medieval
Walls of Jericho-The American dream
Iron Maiden-Powerslave
Trashcan Darlings-Real fucking make-up
Glyder-Weather the storm and Playground for life

bob_vinyl said...

DOA - Northern Avenger
Baseball Project - Vol 1: Frozen Ropes and Dying Quails (This might be the best album I've heard this year)
The Silents - Sleepwalker
Matthew Sweet - Altered Beast
The Dark Romantics - Heartbreaker
Elvis Presley - The Complete '68 Comeback Special 40th Anniversary Edition
The Treat - Phonography
Hüsker Dü - Flip Your Wig
Hüsker Dü - Land Speed Record

DPTH International said...

Good luck with the Zombi shoot! that sounds fun.
I've been spinning:

Discovery
Heathen
Chrissy Steele
Blackmore's Night - earlier work
Virgin Black's - Fortissimo

dschalek said...

Bahimiron- Southern Nihilizm
Nadja- Desire In Uneasiness
Empire Auriga- Dying Auriga
Impiety- Dominator

Sorry that I haven't dropped by in awhile. Hope you're well, Ray!

cjk_44 said...

Ray, please add Big Elf to the list of bands that you've so expertly turned me onto. i've sampled their songs and i will likely be purchasing their ablums soon.

1. Cryptopsy – The Unspoken King
2. Aborted – Strychnine.213
3. In Flames – A Sense of Purpose
4. Misery Index – Retaliate
5. Low Pop Suicide – On the Cross of Commerce
6. Primordial – To the Nameless Dead
7. Rolling Stones – Tattoo You
8. Camel – Pressure Points
9. Bad Company – Burnin’ Sky
10. Eric Clapton – Money and Cigarettes

Ian Aiken said...

1. KING DIAMOND - Give Me Your Soul...Please, Abigail, Fatal Portrait
2. BLOODBATH - The Wacken Carnage
3. MALEVOLENT CREATION - Doomsday X
4. WILLY PORTER - Falling Forward
5. TONIC - Lemon Parade
6. CELTIC FROST - To Mega Therion
7. THE WHO - Who's Next

David Amulet said...

Big time congrats on the part-time reporting gig. Steady is good--and that should be interesting enough to keep you motivated.

Whitesnake, Slide It In
Iced Earth, Tribute to the Gods
Finger Eleven, s/t
Tesla, Psychotic Supper
Yes, Drama
Godsmack, IV (I gave it one more shot--I shouldn't have)

Fred Charles said...

Gotta check out that BigElf.

Since Metallica Day is tomorrow, will give them the benefit of the doubt and slip them into my list:

1. Metallica-Death Magnetic
2. Cathedral-The Garden of Earthly Delights
3. Neil Young-Greatest Hits
4. Electric Wizard-Witchcult Now
5. Loads of Death Metal

Joel said...

The new Metallica - streaming

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=601231

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

good to see everybody!

Mark, too funny. GF is one of the more respected and respectable kinds of their kind.

Bob, for some reason I wasn't surprised to see Husker Du in your playlist given a lengthy web debate I saw you in

dpth, thanks, I'm excited for it...Heathen, yeah!

Dave, what is up, my man? Very glad to see you!

cjk, if anything I write hips you or anyone else to music, then I'm flattered

Ian, crushing as always. I never spun Tonic all the way but I used to have a cassingle that I played over and over back in the day

David, thanks, bro. The assignments have thus far been interesting, no doubt; very cool list; I can only listen to the first two Godsmack albums

Fred and Joel, what are your impressions of the new Metallica? I haven't had a confirmation that a copy is coming, but I was told one was, so we'll see

joel said...

Ray the stream of the entire album is in my last post - I like it. Long songs, instrumental song, good Kirk leads = good in my book.

The RIpple Effect said...

It's taken me four or five listens, but I'm finally wrapping my ears around the Bigelf CD. Not instantly infectious for me, but captivating as it wormed into my brain like a hungry amoeba searching for soft grey matter to digest.

Racer

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Joel, is that a legal stream, bro? I'll have to take it down if not, since I got hit by an attorney once when someone posted a stream. Appreciate it in any regard.

Racer, you may have outdone me in that one sentence, mang!