The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesdays - 9/3/08

Good gravy, Wednesday already, September already, the year is winding down (in some ways, thank God for that), football kicks off this weekend and wowzers, does time speed up the more you acknowledge it.

Hope everybody had a good Labor Day weekend. Casual over here, with a couple of birthday parties over the weekend, a little empty space to myself by watching The Blue and The Gray miniseries on DVD, and trying to keep my ears from smarting by that screaming spud, who's growing so fast and letting us know about it. Such a happy little kid the majority of the time and I feel we've done a solid job in protecting him and preparing him for the next stages of his young life, but when he wants to cry, his lungs are as strong as his legs. I dare any death metal vocalist to take this kid on! Also did a rough draft of a horror story I want to send out for consideration on Labor Day, which felt great to get those creative juices flowing once again. Can't waot to polish the sucker up.

Last Friday I had a terrific chat with Iced Earth's Jon Schaffer. Very talkative, always the gentleman, and I recall originally meeting him in person in Baltimore when I interviewed The Ripper the second time, and Schaffer was so good to his fans he went out of his way to get to a fan in a wheelchair to give him an autograph, knowing he was going to get mobbed thereafter. Jon and I concluded our talk with our thoughts on the Gettysburg battlefield since I live about 15 minutes away, and that to me was the best part of our chat since the dude is passionate about history and Gettysburg especially. Good stuff.

Plenty of music mixed between promos, classic rock and oldies. Baby really seems to love fifties rock 'n roll since he made satisfied coos during Larry Williams and Elvis as he's done with Little Richard and the American Graffiti soundtrack. He's on his way as a rocker, considering he gets a CD full of lullabies every night at bed, which I recommend all parents use because the music triggers the recognition in the baby that it's time to drift off. In our case, the little guy either grabs onto you and settles in, maybe plays sweetly a few times before nodding off, or on the flipside, he'll just tee off in your ear because he's overtired and in refusal mode. And we sign up for this why?

If I had to pick a heavy rotater this week, I reckon it'd be the Misfits-inspired Plan 9. I did get a nice package of DVDs and CDs yesterday after a rough day, and though I have no hope whatsoever of covering everything that gets sent to me on a regular basis, sometimes it's really nice to get a bunch of packages that has Slipknot and Soulfly in one, Bigelf in another, a Tori Amos DVD in another, and so on. It's one thing I never take for granted, the niceties bestowed upon me from my industry reps, and if any of you are reading, please accept my continued thanks...



Plan 9 - Manmade Monster
Master - Slaves to Society
Iced Earth - Crucible of Man: Something Wicked Part 2
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
Motorhead - Rock 'n Roll
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Larry Williams - Bad Boy
Elvis Presley - 30 #1 Hits
Wetnurse - Invisible City
Orange Sky - Dat Iz Voodoo
Hand to Hand - Breaking the Surface
Uli Jon Roth - Under a Dark Sky
The Moody Blues - Best of The Moody Blues

5 comments:

Metal Mark said...

Medieval (yes, now on CD with three new monster tracks)
Extreme-Saudades de rock
Black Stone Cherry-Folklore and superstition
Def Leppard-High-n-dry
Netherbird-The ghost collector
Holy Moses-Agony of death
Tankard-Best case scenario
Helstar-Sins of the past

bob_vinyl said...

Young Widows - Old Wounds
Replacements - Tim
Replacements - Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash
Replacements - Hootenany
Polysics - Karate House
AC/DC - High Voltage
AC/DC - For Those About to Rock

In a week that I didn't listen to a ton of stuff, why did I subject myself to those last two pieces of crap? It didn't help my burnout at all. I suppose I was trying to keep myself honest since I try to spend some time disparaging overrated bands and AC/DC is near the top of that list. I just wanted to make sure I was still right and I am (especially on the latter album).

David Amulet said...

Satisfied coos for the old stuff, eh? I wonder what reaction lullabies get ... those blood-curdling screams? Or maybe those are reserved for when you play your secret Michael Bolton collection.

My six CDs in the car this week:

1. Slayer, South of Heaven. Still my favorite Slayer album.

2. Rush, Rush. I heard the new studio version of "Working Man," with Alex Lifeson's different solo, and so I had to hear the original--and the whole album. "What You're Doing" is one of the most underappreciated Rush songs.

3. INXS, Listen Like Thieves: This is my '80s fix this week. A great guilty pleasure.

4. Mastodon, Leviathan: I heard an old Headbangers Ball interview with Troy Sanders last week, and what he said about the new album--that it will be a heavy classic rock album influenced by King Crimson and Genesis as much as by hard rock/metal pioneers--sounds right up my alley. So I had to pull this out.

5. Steve Hackett, To Watch the Storms. My turn came up to post at Whole Lotta Album Covers, and I chose this cover to follow up on my Dream Theater post.

6. Tool, Laterlaus. Wow. Tool continues to blow me away every time I listen. Not many bands can do that.

cjk_44 said...

my kids when they were young both liked the mellower King's X stuff where Doug does the more soulful vocals.

1. Candiria – 300 Percent Density
2. Pig Destroyer – Phantom Limb
3. Carcass – Heartwork
4. Prong – Prove You Wrong
5. Rush – Roll the Bones
6. AC/DC – Powerage, Stiff Upper Lip, If You Want Blood
7. System of a Down – Steal This Album!
8. Queens of the Stone Age – Lullabies to Paralyze
9. Malfunkshun – Return to Olympus
10. Cult of Luna – Eternal Kingdom
11. Blackfield – Blackfield
12. Metallica – random tracks per my whims

Assorted Tracks:

AC/DC – “Runaway Train” – via band’s official website
Metallica – “My Apocalypse” – via Metallica’s YouTube site

i guess i'm an AC/DC fan at heart - there is something about the simplicity of the chords/riffs that helped me learn to play guitar and i have a soft spot for them because of it.

Ian Aiken said...

1. YES - Close To The Edge, Relayer, Fragile
2. KATAKLYSM - In The Arms Of Devastation
3. EXHUMED - Anatomy Is Destiny
4. KING CRIMSON - Starless And Bible Black
5. S.Y.L. - Alien
6. RUSH - Hemispheres
7. FOO FIGHTERS - The Colour And The Shape
8. URIAH HEEP - The Magicians Birthday
9. CORONER - No More Color, Grin