The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween... The Metal Minute is Sojourning to the Crypt For a Spell




A happy and wonderfully creepy Halloween, everyone!

After dozing in and out of The Ghost of Frankenstein last night and turning an hour eight movie into a two hour event from constantly backing it up in a stubborn refusal to miss out, I've come to the realization that I'm just too danged tired these days. Between my day job, which involves an hour commute each way and requires intense concentration at a demanding pace, plus keeping up with the demands of a foster child who until lately has been sleeping soundly, my days are mostly pegged and numbered.

Granted, I had a cool little chat with former Megadeth guitarist Chris Poland last night and Grutle of Enslaved last Saturday, and I should be on the horn with the metal god himself Rob Halford after a reschedule from last week (no matter how many people I've interviewed and how long I've been doing this, there's still a monster thrill hearing the voice of Rob Halford on your voice mail), but that's enough work for the average Joe.

I've always expected more of myself, however, and I've sacrificed sleep, time, and general recharging to accomplish what I have. Unfortunately Papa Bear has been quite grumpy lately in the Van Horn cave now that a little cub is here for an indeterminate amount of time and the baby is simply quite a bit to manage and care for. Thus I need to downtune my frustration and stave the fangs so I can enjoy his charms beyond the hard work.

Of course, like everyone else suffering in this market, the bills pile, the money dwindles, we cut more from the budget, we start selling off things and we apologize to creditors, meanwhile giving our reserves and energy to the new life in our household. Recently someone attempted to pass a counterfeit check in a big purchase we'd conducted, but my suspicions along the way made me investigate it, withhold delivery of the materials and now the feds have been notified. Still, it doesn't help but leave a sour taste in the mouth at the end of the day. Desperate times and all that, but play honorably, you scumbags...

Music is my great healer and let me just say how grateful I am to have parents who understand me so well they showed up with Chinese earlier in the week and for Halloween they brought me a bottle of Merlot (Poe's choice of vino) and the new AC/DC album Black Ice, which has been spun mercilessly. This week I've been uninterested in thinking beyond my required capacity and AC/DC certainly doesn't make you think. Black Ice is all that you've heard and all that you'll expect, with maybe a few Led Zeppelin and Stones twists (you know "Big Jack" has to be in homage to "Jumpin' Jack Flash," particularly Angus Young's melody on the chorus). 15 songs, mostly on repetition but you know what? Damn fucking straight, I need something mindlessly rockin' this week.

A heartfelt rest in peace to my wife's uncle who passed this week. Uncle Allie, you and Uncle Sonny are all class. Give Bing my regards...

Thus, for now, I must briefly retire from The Metal Minute, at least until I can get my affairs into order, my articles turned in, overdue responses addressed and most importantly, my stress level down. Tonight, I hope to not fall asleep on Carpenter's Halloween in my annual holiday tradition and from there, I will move forward.

Please continue to check in; this is not a final death scene. The Metal Minute will continue, only in very sporadic moments until I am back on equilibrium. Look for me in the meantime at Metal Maniacs, AMP, Hails & Horns and Unrestrained magazines, as well as About.com Metal, DVD Review.com and other hidey holes. Be on the lookout for my farewell column for AMP's "Death From Below" at year's end. It's been a hell of a three-year run. A big shout-out to None Louder.com for the affiliation boost; The Metal Minute had a record week of hits last week and you guys are one of the reasons. I'll be back to make ya proud.

To all the labels, publicists, bands, readers and friends who constantly check in with me, you all rule my cruel. Those of you who have already submitted material for The Metal Minute will be given immediate coverage once I can check in, fret not.

My thanks to all of you for reading. Cheers...

7 comments:

David Amulet said...

As you already know from our early back-and-forth, I'm with you on this one. You need to take care of #1, #2, and #3 before this--which is/should be somewhere around #12.

Don't be a stranger. I'm eager to hear how things develop for you.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Right on, amigo. Of course we'll still be regular over at Whole Lotta Album Covers and this joint will still run as I can clean my plate off bit by bit and keep the little man safe and satisfied. Definitely not the end since the readership here has really sprung, but I'm going to get rid of what's been bugging me no matter the cost.

David Amulet said...

Ray: I've decided to honor your long-time dedication to this site--and to tempt you to let me know what new stuff you're listening to--by keeping one of your features alive over at my Musings.

Starting in two days, I'll be running a Whatcha Listenin' To Wednesday post each week on my site. I hope you'll find time to swing by and post what's keeping your motor running.

cjk_44 said...

Ray-

Rock on. You're doing what's right for you and the family. And there is no greater honor than abiding by responsibility and commitment to family.

You're an inspiration and you've been a key part in getting me back to listening critically to metal. I await your return.

Dave-

Count me in on your Whatcha Listening feature. That type of forum needs to keep running and I'm glad you're keeping it going. That feature keeps me honest about what I'm listening to and forces diverstiy into my listening choices which is totally selfish and keeps me in tune with the vast variety of styles out there.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

gents, I'm beyond flattered for your comments this morning and I take them to heart... by all means, David, have a go with that and I'll participate accordingly...this is perhaps the most trying time of my life and I appreciate yours and everyone's support... The Metal Minute is a labor of love but priorities are obviously such...I can't wait for a quieter moment of time to resume regularly

thanks again, guys

Anonymous said...

[url=http://tinyurl.com/getvpn][b]Click here to get VPN service![/b][/url]

[b]Anonymous surfing[/b]
Using our service you'll be fully anonymous in the Internet. Hide your IP address, and nobody will know that strange visitor from Germany ( Great Britain, Estonia and so ), is you.

[b]Full access to network[/b]
You can use any services, access any sites and use any software with us. BitTorrent, Skype, Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, Pocker .. we have no restrictions.

[b]Traffic protection[/b]
Don't worry, from this moment all you data will be protected using 256 bit Blowfish encryption algorithm. Nobody can access your internet data.

[b]Wide variety of countries[/b]
You can choose one of over twenty high speed servers located in different parts of the world, from South America coast to islands in Indian Ocean.

Related keywords:
anonymous surfing review
proxy server vpn
anonymous secure surfing
proxy vpn
anonymous vpn free
internet explorer vpn
vpn dial up
ssl vpn
Traffic protection
anonymous surfing freeware
anonymous surfing software
vtunnel
anonymous surfing vpn
best anonymous browser
surf the web anonymous
best anonymous surfing
anonymizer anonymous surfing review
firefox anonymous surfing
Virtual Private Networks
Free Vpn Client Software
anonymous surfing software
[url=http://dasbmw.ru] anonymous surfing software[/url]
[url=http://seobraincenter.ru] anonymous proxy[/url]
[url=http://carlwebster.com/members/Alexander-Pwnz.aspx]Buy Cheap Zoloft[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://tinyurl.com/getvpn][b]Click here to get VPN service![/b][/url]

[b]Anonymous surfing[/b]
Using our service you'll be fully anonymous in the Internet. Hide your IP address, and nobody will know that strange visitor from Germany ( Great Britain, Estonia and so ), is you.

[b]Full access to network[/b]
You can use any services, access any sites and use any software with us. BitTorrent, Skype, Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, Pocker .. we have no restrictions.

[b]Traffic protection[/b]
Don't worry, from this moment all you data will be protected using 256 bit Blowfish encryption algorithm. Nobody can access your internet data.

[b]Wide variety of countries[/b]
You can choose one of over twenty high speed servers located in different parts of the world, from South America coast to islands in Indian Ocean.

Related keywords:
anonymous surfing review
proxy server vpn
anonymous secure surfing
proxy vpn
anonymous vpn free
internet explorer vpn
vpn dial up
ssl vpn
Traffic protection
anonymous surfing freeware
anonymous surfing software
vtunnel
anonymous surfing vpn
best anonymous browser
surf the web anonymous
best anonymous surfing
anonymizer anonymous surfing review
firefox anonymous surfing
Virtual Private Networks
Free Vpn Client Software
anonymous surfing software
[url=http://dasbmw.ru] anonymous surfing software[/url]
[url=http://seobraincenter.ru] anonymous proxy[/url]
[url=http://carlwebster.com/members/Alexander-Pwnz.aspx]Buy Cheap Zoloft[/url]