The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Sunday, December 28, 2008

25 Immaculate Receptions of 2008



It's that time of year, gang. In case you're interested, here's The Metal Minute's (and "Death From Below" column in AMP magazine originally) 25 Immaculate Receptions for 2008. I am also including a few honorable mentions as this list was originally compiled to make press time for AMP and some highly worthy candidates trickled in after-the-fact.

Please also note The Metal Minute is participating in a joint venture with other rock and metal blogs for a weekend Year-End-Best fiesta. A roll of these fine blogs are listed beneath the album picks. Please take a few minutes and visit them as well; it's fun to see what other folks are selecting as their best of choices.

Cheers...


Ray Van Horn, Jr.’s 25 Immaculate Receptions of 2008



1. ByzantineOblivion Beckons
2. BigelfCheat the Gallows
3. BorisSmile
4. EarthThe Bees Made Honey in the Lion’s Skull
5. Cavalera ConspiracyInflikted
6. EnslavedVertebrae
7. Keep of KalessinKolossus
8. NachtmystiumAssassins: Black Meddle Pt. 1
9. MasterSlaves to Society
10. Bullet For My ValentineScream Aim Fire
11. Trivium - Shogun
12. Alice CooperAlong Came a Spider
13. Iced EarthThe Crucible of Man: Something Wicked Part 2
14. WetnurseInvisible City
15. OpethWatershed
16. Amon AmarthTwilight of the Thunder God
17. The SwordGods of the Earth
18. Exotic Animal Petting Zoo I Have Made My Bed In Darkness
19. The Acacia Strain - Continent
20. The RottedGet Dead Or Die Trying
21. CatastrophicPathology of Murder
22. Dead to FallAre You Serious?
23. Bison B.C.Quiet Earth
24. TaintSecrets and Lies
25. WhitesnakeGood to Be Bad

Honorable Mentions:

Granted, these runner-ups are better than Whitesnake's Good to Be Bad and probably deserved inclusion in the final cut, but again, press time for this list dictated and I suffered the guilty pleasure syndrome with Whitesnake. Can't help it, period, the end. Of course, Motorhead and Testament get honorary nods because of who they are and how much balls they still put into their music. Hails!

Unearth - The March
Guns n' Roses - Chinese Democracy
Boneshaker - Start the Race
Jucifer - L'Autrichienne
Bloodbath - The Fathomless Mastery
Motorhead - Motorizer
Testament - The Formation of Damnation


Other Blogs Participating in Year End Picks:

Heavy Metal Addiction -- Heavy Metal Addiction


Hard Rock Hideout -- Hard Rock Hideout


Heavy Metal Time Machine -- Heavy Metal Time Machine


Bring Back Glam -- Bring Back Glam


Rock And Roll and Meandering Nonsense -- Rock 'n Roll and Meandering Nonsense


All Metal Resource -- All Metal Resource


Imagine Echoes -- Imagine Echoes


Metal Excess -- Metal Excess


The Ripple Effect -- The Ripple Effect


Rock Of Ages -- Rock of Ages


Layla's Classic Rock -- Layla's Classic Rock


Hair Metal Mansion -- Hair Metal Mansion

9 comments:

Metal Mark said...

We had four in common. I also considered Iced Earth and Taint.
G-n-R made my list and Boneshaker was a consideration. Bullet for my valentine strike me the same way as Shadows Fall in that they are kind of metal, but very forced. So I have problems taking them seriously.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I was tickled you and I have the same top two and you, me and Bob all got Bigelf at # 2

There's far too many metalcore bands ala Shad, etc. but I went for style points and that "bigger than life" sound that's missing in metal's forerunners, so BFMV and Trivium made the cut out of all of the rest, most of which I can't take too seriously, so I see where you're coming from, but I thought BFMV and Trivium were huge standouts from their ilk, as well as Unearth

The RIpple Effect said...

Nice list, I popped Bigelf in at #1 simple because of the grand ambition of that disc.

Fred "C" said...

Ray, how are ya? Been a while.

Nice list. More than a few of those would be on my list, if I actually made one. My problem is that I can never remember what came out that year. Maybe I will keep track of what I buy starting January 1st!

Hope all is well with you and your family.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Thanks, guys!

Bigelf would've been number one had Byzantine not been so stellar and an advancement of current metal, can't blame you for taking Bigelf at the top, Ripple!

Fred, glad to see you, man! What's new over your way?

Fred "C" said...

Not much new. Been playing a lot of guitar the last few months. I also just started a guitar-related blog. Other than that, I'm enjoying some time off for the holidays.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

there ya go, sounds like quality downtime, Fred!

Kerry JWB said...

Hey so glad we made the list!!!! It was one of the best reviews we received this year!

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Damn skippy, I said it before to you offsite, your album put me in such a good mood...anyone else reading this exchange, go look up John Wilkes Booth on MySpace or follow the links from my review... Thanks for the nice word, Kerry, keep that shit coming!