The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 1/14/09

Howdy, faithful lot... As my good friend David Amulet was keeping this segment alive over at his site The Musings of David Amulet, it was left in limbo over here with my usual chaotic schedule, which has only gotten nuttier with a sick foster baby, a wife with an arm badly sprained while on-the-job and yours truly battling an upper respiratory infection for more than three weeks and trying to keep the household together.

I've been happy to keep steadier than expected here at The Metal Minute though with nowhere near the same regularity. Still, things maintain and I've been slowly pecking at my magazine work and review gigs from my side music clients. Having left my cell phone behind today, I missed an opportunity to cover a government meeting for a local newspaper, drat it. Then again, my little family's in such a floundered state only the cats Neo and Anubis are healthy.

Wifey and I sacked out last night in front of What Happens in Vegas. Of course, I have a Living Colour DVD to get written up, plus Lair of the Minotaur's War Metal Battle Master DVD, complete with the gory uncensored video for the title track. Hell, after reviewing the espionage thriller Traitor for DVD Review.com I passed out on Righteous Kill with DeNiro and Pacino, though I dug what I saw when I was awake. Then there's Tripping the Rift Season 3, also recently sent to me for review. I have Metalacalypse Season 2 in the DVD review pile, not to mention others for Pink Floyd, Pigface, Melvins & Fantomas, Gamma Ray, Kraftwerk, Patti Smith and Nickelback.

So anywho, 2009 is already revved up fine and dandy at The Metal Minute as Sean Yseult of White Zombie and Dan Lorenzo of Hades have checked in and later in the week expect a Take 5 interview with Tyr. Metal Maniacs currently has my interview with Gary Holt of Exodus, while the latest Hails & Horns magazine is running my pieces on Trivium, Nachtmystium and Hatchet director Adam Green. SPLAT!

Stay tuned for upcoming reviews here of Scott "Wino" Weinrich's solo debut album Punctuated Equilibrium, plus new stuff from Scale the Summit, Grave Digger and Spylacopa (which features members of Isis, Candiria, Dillinger Escape Plan and Made Out of Babies). Also be on the lookout for another Album You Can't Live Without in the very near future.

In the meantime, I've been pounding out my gift certificate acquisitions from the holidays, The Cure's latest, a lot of Beck, some red hot jazz with Art Blakey and I can't seem to shake myself loose of Chinese Democracy. Fortunately the baby is nearly as much of a music junkie as me, so the tunes are always flowing around here.

So step on up peeps! It's been awhile since this function's come to light, but bring out yer dead...



The Cure - 4:13 Dream
Art Blakey - Drum Suite
Art Blakey - Mosaic
Guns n' Roses - Chinese Democracy
Beck - Mellow Gold
Beck - Odelay
Beck - Modern Guilt
Deep Purple - Burn
Deep Purple - Who Do We Think We Are?
Blood Sweat and Tears - Greatest Hits
Duran Duran - Rio
Death Cab For Cutie - Plans
Asmegin - Arv
Eighteen Wheels Burning - Tweak'd Out Strung Up & Redlined
Dirtfedd - s/t
Metal Church - s/t
Metal Church - Blessing in Disguise
Aretha Franklin - Lady Soul
Sepultura - Nation
The Who - Tommy
Entombed - Wolverine Blues
Hank Williams - The Ultimate Collection
Common Rider - This Is Unity Music
The Mooney Suzuki - People Get Ready
The Blue Aeroplanes - Swagger
Dan Freedman - Art Attack
Eddie Cochran - The Best of Eddie Cochran
Fats Domino - My Blue Heaven: The Best of Fats Domino Volume One
Desmond Drive - I Called I
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
Cradle of Filth - Damnation and a Day
Lynard Skynard - Endangered Species

4 comments:

Metal Mark said...

Deathstar-The Triumph
Juliet's Vice-Decadence and Romance
Screamer-What excites you
Bloodsword-All hyllest to satan
Cowboy Prostitutes-Swingin' at the fences
Sepultura-A-Lex
Anthrax-Fistful of metal
Black Tide-Light from above
Tigertailz-Thrill Pistol and Wazbonez
Steel Assassin-War of the eight saints

cjk_44 said...

Ray, welcome back and Happy New Year to you!

It’s been a month or so since I posted to this feature. Late 2008 was dedicated/dominated by anything/everything heavy metal for my 2008 “best of” list. So a slight change in listening choices was in order; music in my ears this past week or so:

1. Levon Helm – Dirt Farmer
2. U2 - various
3. Metallica – Kill ‘em All (to honor their forthcoming HoF induction)
4. Clutch – Robot Hive/Exodus
5. Riverside – Rapid Eye Movement

Currently reading: Crank magazine anthology. Recently finished books: David Sedaris’ “When You’re Engulfed in Flames” and Sal Palotonio’s “How Football Explains America.” And I’m still reading “Boom! Voices of the Sixties” by Tom Brokaw, imagine that.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Mark, are you liking the new Sep at all?

cjk, I was also wondering on how to write a book about the psychology of football and Americans since I've always thought our country is so f'en diehard it's like this: "One Nation Under God, so long as my team isn't playing yours..." Given where I live, who I support and how the playoffs are finishing this year, this weekend will obviously be filled with a lot of that neanderthal "We" mentality where people think they're actually a part of the football team and it's "their" victory or loss and how "they're" gonna kick "your" ass on the field

I love football with all my heart but detest football fans in general

and I have a book called "Hippie" I never finished but want to

cjk_44 said...

Sal Palotonio’s “How Football Explains America” is more like a history lesson than an exploration of the football fan's psyche, although it definitely touches on that subject. regardless it's a good read.

baseball is what i live/die with. football is something i watch on Sundays .... and Mondays, Thursdays and the ocassional Saturday, but I don't think about football much the rest of the week. since baseball is a slower game it doesn't bring out the same kind of we v. them mentality (and/or mental violence).