The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 2/11/09

Greetings from the slowly-warming banks of the Mason-Dixon line...

We'll keep things brief once again as this proves yet another challenging week with the loss of a friend I used to roll with on Friday nights in our posse of poets and performers. Seems like now is the time where people young and old are suddenly departing this life and it's hard to make sense of it other than to try and mentally wrap your head that it might be you one day soon, so you take the best measures possible to stay Death's hand as long as you can. Cheers to you, Chris, hit them some mean bass licks up there...

Trying to catch up on sleep as little man is now 14 months old and sleeping quite well, praise the Lord. Though he's not ours per se, he is a part of the household and the house wins, as my daytime partner would say. I recommend all you wannabe parents to consider your age as you make your choices because this isn't easy. My hats off to all the single parents and all the couples keeping watch over their flock. I have a full appreciation of the parenting experience now. I will be enjoying my first Friday night out since the kid arrived this coming week, thank God! I never used to be home on Fridays before him.

With the magazines folding left and right out there, I am starting to court new periodicals, but I am also looking towards the horror genre which I've always loved. I just recently joined Horror News.net as an interviewer. I just completed a chat with Stevan Mena, director of the horror spoof Brutal Massacre. I was also given wonderful encouragement from an esteemed director in the genre and I feel this is an avenue best suited for me. Thank you for your offer of assistance and the motivation to put in play, my friend.

I am also happy to say an old friend of mine in the mortgage industry was falling on hard times I learned and she was facing possible jail time. I knew of an opening somewhere and gave her the contact. I'm pleased to hear she got the job and I pray she gets her life on track from here on out.

Okay, not so brief, but music-wise, I'm full-on for the new Kylesa album Static Tension. This one's a danged smoker! Some more Thin Lizzy, some Kyuss, some Peter Frampton, some 400 Blows, some Thievery Corporation, you know how I roll...



Kylesa - Static Tensions
Thin Lizzy - The Ultimate Collection
Peter Frampton - Frampton
Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun
Kyuss - And the Circus Comes to Town
The Cure - Faith
Thievery Corporation - The Outernational Sound
400 Blows - Black Rainbow
400 Blows - Angel's Trumpets and Devil's Trombones
Metal Church - s/t
Jeff Beck - Performing This Week... Live at Ronnie Scott's
Flogging Molly - Float
Seizure Crypt - Under the Gun
Evile - Enter the Grave special edition
Nashville Pussy - From Hell to Texas
Krokus - Hellraiser
Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich - Krupa and Rich

6 comments:

Metal Mark said...

Reading-some cookbooks
Watching-
Season 2 of Night Court
Season 1 Tales from the darkside

Listening to-
Robot Lords of Tokyo-Whiskey, blood and napalm
S.E.X. Department-s/t
Jaguar-This time and Power Games
Skitzo Calypsyo-Burning down an empire
The Inner Party-Honky Heretics
Iron Maiden-Piece of mind and Powerslave
Motley Crue-first three albums

The Klepto said...

3 Doors Down - 3 Doors Down
Alestorm - Captain Morgan's Revenge
Alestorm - Leviathan EP
The Answer - Everyday Demons
Empylver - Wood Woud Would
Holy Martyr - Still At War
Orange Sky - Dat Iz Voodoo
Regina Spektor - Soviet Kitsch
Stone Gods - Silver Spoons & Broken Bones
A Tribute To The Voice of Metal: Ronnie James Dio
Nativity In Black I: A Tribute To Black Sabbath
Nativity In Black II: A Tribute To Black Sabbath
We're A Happy Family: A Tribute To Ramones

cjk_44 said...

1. My Dying Bride – A Line of Deathless Kings
2. Samael – Solar Soul
3. Enslaved – Vertebrae, Isa
4. Riverside – Voices Inside My Head (ep), Rapid Eye Movement (2nd disc)
5. Haste – When Reason Sleeps
6. Rush – various tracks, “Moving Pictures” through “Hold Your Fire”
7. Porcupine Tree – Recordings
8. Bob Dylan – Love and Theft

This week’s reading list: more legislation, attempting to start “The Gang that Couldn’t Write Straight”

Watching: no time for TV or DVDs

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Very little time for t.v. myself, but have been working through Metalocalypse Season 2. Man, that crap's funny.

Mark, I ended up grabbing Powerslave and A Matter of Life and Death off the shelf for this week

Klepto, welcome and thanks for checking in your playlist! I understand Alestorm is coming through the US with Tyr on the Pagan Knights tour

cjk, been wanting to check out the new MDB...good?

cjk_44 said...

A Line of Deathless Kings is the 2006 release from MDB - the new one is For Lies I Sire, but it's not out yet nor do i have a promo to review. listening to A Line of Deathless Kings is getting me in the mood for the newest MDB. i'll let you know how it is.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Ahh, I have too many albums, lol... I have a couple of MDB's earlier albums and just knew a new album was coming out