The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesdays - 2/18/09

Greetings, brothers and sisters and all the ships at sea...

A little slack in production this week, apologies. The hit count at the site meter had a considerable spike, so I need to get my slackass moving with some material for you generous reading folk. Those of you who check in regularly know my insane schedule. I had intended to have a review of the amazing new Kylesa album yesterday, but baby, bill writing, insomnia and a short story I'm working on--not to mention a little farting around at Facebook have stymied my output here. Fret not, as Chuck Barris would say on ye old Gong Show, stay tuned, we'll be back with more STUFF...

Yesterday morning while rushing to beat the clock getting those dratted bills out the door, I received a very special email from one of the leading magazines of our genre. It turns out The Metal Minute, along with a nice helping of fellow blogs and websites has been nominated for a web publication award. To be even considered by this prestigious periodical leaves me speechless. I can't even get my head around winning said award since there are bigger and better places in cyberspace, but it goes to show you never know who's reading out there and for all of the aggravation and the argumentation inside my head whether to keep rolling this site, that, along with the continued reader feedback is the judgment factor to keep me moving. Thank you committee, whoever you are...

So only a little bit of promo got spun, although the new albums are filtering in at ramming speed, so I better get a move on, eh? The new Isis album just arrived and that's going to be my geek-out album following Kylesa's Static Tensions, I can just feel it. Iron Maiden's Powerslave wins top-spinner of the week as I continue to obsess over its absolute perfection as I did in the mid eighties. Is this the most perfect metal album ever recorded? A bold statement, considering everyone else would take Number of the Beast over Powerslave, but I'm feeling pretty solid on this statement. For now, anyway...

Also upcoming here at The Metal Minute will be some guest writing from one of my bros and favorite writers in metal journalism, Mr. Scott Alisoglu. Be on the lookout for his articles on Cenotaph and Willowtip in the immediate future. Thanks for gracing the Metal Minute with your work, bud... Everyone else, please keep coming by for more goodies here and look me up at Facebook and MySpace if you haven't already. I'm easy to find.



Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death
Psyopus - Odd Senses
Kylesa - Static Tensions
Kylesa - To Walk a Middle Course
Love - Forever Changes
Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace
Foo Fighters - s/t
Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape
Nashville Pussy - From Hell to Texas
Ephel Duath - Through My Dog's Eyes
Thin Lizzy - Still Dangerous: Live at the Tower Theatre, Philly 1977
The Cure - Boys Don't Cry
The Cure - Disintegration
The Cure - Wild Mood Swings
Yes - Symphonic Live
Korn - See You On the Other Side
Lynard Skynard - Street Survivors
INXS - Kick

10 comments:

Metal Mark said...

Dark Heart-Shadows of the night
Skitzo Calypso-Burning down an empire
Thin Lizzy-Still Dangerous:Live at the Tower Theatre Philadelphia 1977
Necroblaspheme-Destination: Nulle Part
Van Halen-Fair Warning and 1984
Iron Maiden-Somewhere in time and Powerslave
Twisted Sister-Stay Hungry
Jaguar-This time
Diamond Head-Canterbury
Budgie-In for the kill
Poison-first three albums

The Klepto said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Klepto said...

Awesome about the potential award. Just being nominated means you're doing something right.

AC/DC - Back In Black
Baroness - The Red Album
Big Boss - Doomy Ballads - New
Boston - Boston
Bruce Springsteen - Working On A Dream
Crooked X - Crooked X
HammerFall - Masterpieces
Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell
Orange Sky - Dat Iz Voodoo - New
Queensr├┐che - Operation: Mindcrime
Styx - The Grand Illusion
The Tossers - On A Fine Spring Evening
Wizard - Thor

This week I've been listening to mostly classic albums of my favorite bands, hence the strong classic rock. I also keep track of my listening monthly, not weekly, so I might start over lapping week to week. Check out my previous lists:
http://thekleptosgtm.blogspot.com/search/label/Albums%20Listened%20To

Metal Mark said...

I got one of those award nomination e-mails the other day too. I figured it just some sort of form letter sent to like everyone they could track down.

cjk_44 said...

1. Lamb of God – Wrath
2. Cave In – Until Your Heart Stops
3. The Season Standard – Squeeze Me Ahead of Line
4. Burnt by the Sun – The Perfect Is the Enemy of the Good
5. Dream Theater – Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
6. The Kris Norris Project – Icons of the Illogical
7. Cynic – Traced in Air
8. Counting Crows – Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings
9. Passengers – Original Soundtracks Volume 1
10. My Morning Jacket – Evil Urges

This week’s reading list: more legislation

Watching: Lost – Season One

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Oh well, Mark, if your theory prevails, then so be it. On the other hand, if our blogs are getting some love across the way, then hell yeah to us all... Nice, diverse list. I had two Thin Lizzys and was going to ask if you wanted one for review. Good score, isn't it?

Actually, Klepto, that's a very slick and well-balanced list. I've yet to grab some Tossers but I of course love the Celtic punk thing like Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys. Thanks for the good word. Hopefully it isn't bullshit like Mark suspected. If it is, then hey, joke's on me.

cjk, so how's the new Lamb of God? My usual contact for them is late on the gun with that for me, lol... I have that Cynic album in my pile of didn't get tos but want to.

And as far as reading goes, I just finished Peanuts' Guide to Life and am still in the middle of Stephen King's latest. Watching Friday the 13th Part 2 and Dallas Season 9

cjk_44 said...

LoG's "Wrath" is decent. better than "Sacrament" that's for sure. not quite sure at this early stage how it will stand up to "As the Palaces Burn" their best album IMO.

The Roxy Theatre said...

CHELSEA GIRLS FEATURING COREY PARKS OF NASHVILLE PUSSY WILL BE PERFORMING THURSDAY FEBRUARY 26 AT THE ROXY THEATRE. TICKETS ARE AVAILABLE NOW TROUGH TICKETMASTER.
http://www.ticketmaster.com/search?tm_link=tm_homeA_header_search&q=CHELSEA+GIRLS&search.x=0&search.y=0

DPTH International said...

Congrats Ray!

I've been listening to:
Savatage - mid period
Primordial
Odds - Neopolitan and Bedbugs
Tierra Santa
Wolf (SWE)
Possession
Powermad
Powerful
and Once Dead

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

thanks, dpth, I honestly forgot about since this week's been crazy brutal so far...we'll see about it...you're hitting the P's hard this week, eh?

cjk, I agree wholeheartedly about As the Palaces Burn...they're a very solid and consistent band, but they've yet to touch that one's sheer brilliance

Roxy, while I don't care to have unsolicited advertising here, I do dig the Nashville Pussy, so right on, then!