The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 3/11/09

Cheers, faithful rowdies, an exciting week personally and for The Metal Minute as the site's recent Metal Hammer nomination has produced a generous outpouring of support from the community. As I stated in a press release related to the nomination announcement, The Metal Minute was originally designed as a side project, namely existing as an overflow for the tremendous amount of promotional material coming across my desk. To see where it's gone to since going live has left me at a loss for words.

Then this week my wife and I learned the foster child we have been caring for is going to be offered to us for adoption. Amazing news, to say the least. Makes this past weekend worth the fight when I spent three days straight caring for the little man during his illness, only to catch his stomach virus myself with loss of sleep, 14 hours huddled around the bowl and still tending to the boy with my wife working most of the duration. You might say I've earned my daddy stripes now.

Thus I battled the shakes in bed after he went nite nite with Scanners, Mystery of the Wax Museum and Bubba Ho-Tep and one of the stories out of Stephen King's Just After Sunset, but then I came out a new man after a good night's sleep on Sunday. Considering I'd been invited to come out the Pentagram show on Saturday and had to bail, plus renege on a drinking outing Friday with an old comrade as well as family dinner for my wife and mom's birthday, I had a bit of an edge that was purged by my ralphing. Hey, at least my ladies gained little Troy as their birthday gifts!

Coming out of the raw determination of last week, I turned to some old angry friends to rejuice and get my fires back up, which called for some Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Ministry, Death and Bathory. I'm still chawing on Zombi and I had to turn to the working class laureate Bruce Springsteen for some writing inspiration.

This week I had a review of Mantic Ritual's thrash-erific debut Executioner up for About.com Heavy Metal, so we'll give them honors as the week's top spin. Check these dudes out if you haven't already. Steeltown has the Lombardi again, they have the coolest synth prog duo around with Zombi, there's my boys Icarus Witch (hails, guys) and now Mantic Ritual.

Coming up here at The Metal Minute stand by for upcoming reviews of the new Wolves in the Throne Room album Black Cascade as well as Yes' double-disc Symphonic Live. Also be on the lookout for an upcoming Take 5 session with with Ruyter from Nashville Pussy. Get some!

Metal Hammer is running a new feature at their website called The Horse's Mouth where journalists are posed an open-ended topic for brief commentary. This week the question was posed as to whether or not Nine Inch Nails' announced hiatus is a good or bad thing. Drop by for mine and my colleagues' responses here:

Metal Hammer's The Horse's Mouth: Nine Inch Nails Hiatus - Good Thing/Bad Thing

Thanks as always to you badass readers of The Metal Minute. You're why I'm still here.



Mantic Ritual - Executioner
Zombi - Spirit Animal
Zombi - Surface to Air
Minor Threat - Complete Discography
Bad Brains - I Against I
Death - Leprosy
Type O Negative - Dead Again
Yes - Symphonic Live
Dol Theeta - The Universe Expands
Idols Are Dead - Mean
Revolting Cocks - Sex-O Olympic-O
High On Fire - Death is the Communion
Bathory - Blood Fire Death
Wolves in the Throne Room - Black Cascade
Static-X - Cult of Static
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low-End Theory
Ministry - The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste
Bruce Springsteen - Greetings From Astbury Park, NJ
Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA
Bruce Springsteen - The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle

6 comments:

Metal Mark said...

Listening to...
The Eruptors-Microwave Massacre
The Rattlebones-Ready to bite
Within the ruins-Creature
Men at work-Business as usual
The Answer-Everyday Demons
Iron Maiden-Killers and Piece of mind
Sleep-Dopesmoker
Billy Idol-Idolize yourself
Greenleaf-Agents of Ahriman
Executioner-The storm after the calm
The Police-Anthology
WASP-s/t
Twisted Sister-Stay Hungry
Rhino-Dead throne monarh

Reading..
The Puppy Bomb
some cook books
lots of Dr. Seuss books

Watching..
Severed Ways
The Dark Knight
Freaks and Geeks

cjk_44 said...

1. Lamb of God – Wrath
2. Scorpions – Blackout
3. Jerry Cantrell – Degradation Trip, Vol. 1 & Vol. 2, Boggy Depot
4. Megadeth – Countdown to Extinction
5. Steven Wilson – Insurgentes
6. U2 – No Line on the Horizon, The Unforgettable Fire
7. Tori Amos – Boys for Pele

This week’s reading list: “Tales from the Impossible Dream” – Rico Petrocelli and Chaz Scoggins

Watching: World Baseball Classic, U2 Live in Paris (The Joshua Tree reissue box set)

The Mule said...

Tony Williams — Spring
Napalm Death — Time Waits for No Slave
Rush — Snakes and Arrows
Lord Mantis — Spawning the Nephilim
Thinking Plague — In This Life

Reading: John Hodgman — More Information Than You Require

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Mark, I like the wide variety here. I just listened to most of Rhino yesterday. Pretty heavy.

cjk, I just caught up with the new U2 and at first I was like, 'Wowzers,' but it grew on pretty quickly, kind of like U2 reformatted by Radiohead

Mule, how'd you like that Lord Mantis? I'll be reviewing it here in the upcoming future. Chaotic stuff.

Ian Aiken said...

1. HYPOCRISY-The Arrival
2. LAIR OF THE MINOTAUR-War Metal Battle Master
3. NAPALM DEATH-Time Waits for No Slave
4. CANNIBAL CORPSE - Eviseration Plague
5. DEVIN TOWNSEND - Ocean Machine
6. KREATOR - Hordes of Chaos
7. RUSH - Power Windows
8. TORI AMOS - Boys for Pele
9. YES - The Yes Album
10. YES - Tormato
11. YES - Going for the One
12. STEVE HOWE - Turbulance
13. JUNGLE ROT - All
14. CYNIC - Traced In Air
15. SLAYER - All

I'm so glad you brought back the wednesday playlists. I've been away for a while. Been laid off, doing school, and VERY slowly been recording my new CD.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Ian! Wazzup, buddy? Glad to see you and your always killer playlists. Sorry to hear about the layoff; I've had my share of 'em, trust me, none harder than June of last year, four days after the kid was brought to us. My then-boss could've given me a little courtesy warning, eh? You talk about having to man up in a hurry, no matter how scary the situation. Hope things get better for you, man.