The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 3/25/09

Hola, chums, here we are at another midweek check-in, hope y'all are doing good around the globe.

Keeping things rolling as steady as she can although production was slow this week at The Metal Minute. A special thanks to my bro Scott Alisoglu for his contributions here. You can find Scott all over the place in Metal Land including Blabbermouth, so it's been a real pleasure having his words keep the gears cranking.

As a last-minute surprise night out, I ended up downtown with a buddy of mine to catch a Maryland metal and punk festival in Baltimore which featured local bands but was headlined Saturday by Darkest Hour and Sunday by Soilwork. Though I'm sure Soilwork ripped, I have to give Darkest Hour my fullest compliments for an outstanding set. As the group is recording their new album here in Baltimore, it was fabulous they agreed to attend this gig as they were obviously the class elite of Saturday's lineup. A scorcher of a set, I assure you. Don't miss these guys if they hit your town.

Otherwise, trying to stay on course with my life's responsibilities and assignments and hopefully carve out some time to hedge some short fiction in preparation of getting on those two books I've dallied way too long with. Horror News.net has me busy with a big load of Asian horror films which I've started on with the violent Japanese shocker All Night Long and a beautifully done Korean dark version of Hansel and Gretel. Also for you gorehounds, I reviewed Laid to Rest, a very brutal slasher flick with a tech-oriented killer named ChromeSkull and it also has Lena Heady of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Pretty well done and I'm looking forward to an offered future interview with leading actress Bobbie Sue Luther.

I've had my nose in the latest issue of American Short Fiction but as always my reading time is way short, but on the flipside, the music is just flowing all over the danged place. Though I'll be prepping for upcoming interviews with Isis and Scale the Summit, I hope to get out some reviews of the previously-promised Rhino plus the new Mastodon, Cannibal Corpse and Lamb of God albums here at The Metal Minute. Lots of booming tunes out there and I'm excited to talk about these suckas.

Spin-wise, hard to say who led the charge since I dragged out a lot of promo and other stuff but I'd have to say by attrition from keeping a calm vibe at work and on the road with my partner, Thievery Corporation got the most plays. But then I had some MC5, Curtis Mayfield, Tiger Army, Generation X, Thompson Twins, Bob Marley, the Dead Kennedys and Bruuuuuuuuuuuce going in addition to all the metal. Fun--if not a goofy--place to be in my listening world, eh?



Thievery Corporation - The Mirror Conspiracy
Mastodon - Leviathan
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague
Lamb of God - Wrath
Tiger Army - Music From Regions Beyond
Generation X - s/t
Generation X - Valley of the Dolls
Curtis Mayfield - The Very Best of Curtis Mayfield
Thompson Twins - Into the Gap
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Legend
Amon Amarth - Once Sent From the Golden Hall
Derek Sherinian - Molecular Heinosity
Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska
Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On the Edge of Town
Les Claypool - Of Fungi and Foe
Wolf - Ravenous
Filter - Anthems of the Damned
Queensryche - American Soldier
The Dresden Dolls - s/t
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
Lard - The Last Temptation of Reid
MC5 - Back in the USA

8 comments:

Metal Mark said...

Rhino-Dead Throne Monarch
MaelStrom-It was Predestined
Chris Laney-Pure
Laceblack
Seance-Awakening of the gods
Septicflesh-Communion
Tribulation-The Horror
Acid Drinkers-several
Nasty Idols-Boys Town
Iron Maiden-Piece of mind and Killers

cjk_44 said...

1. Fear My Thoughts – Isolation
2. Dimmu Borgir – Spiritual Black Dimensions
3. Candiria – 300 Percent Density
4. Night in Gales – Necrodynamic
5. Iron Maiden – Brave New World
6. Soundgarden – Superunknown
7. Vision of Disorder – s/t
8. Hypocrisy – s/t
9. Bloodbath – The Wacken Carnage
10. Dream Theater – Images & Words
11. Mötley Crüe – Saints of Los Angeles
12. U2 – War, October
13. Chickenfoot – two songs streaming on their myspace page

Ray - I love Darkest Hour and they put on a phenomenal set back at the 8X10 many many years ago that cemented my appreciation of their work in addition to confirming the staggering influence that At the Gates had on metal.

Next Up: the latest efforts from Kylesa (Ray - I hope it is as good as you say it is), Mastodon, God Forbid

This week’s reading list: with the General Assembly coming to a close in three weeks my eyes were figuratively blinded by legislation.

Watching: You Don’t Mess with the Zohan, Tropic Thunder, spring training games on MLB Network

The Mule said...

Kylesa—Static Tensions
Mastodon—Crack the Skye (acquired last night...not sure what I think of it)
Harvey Milk—Life...the Best Game in Town

DPTH International said...

Metallica tribute's - Metallic Assault and Pianotarium.
Believer's - Gabriel
Mechanical Poet's - Eidoline ...
The Crucified - Pillars of Humanity
Lich King - Toxic Zombie Onslaught
Motal Sin - Mayhemic Destruction
Blackguard - Profudis ...
Attacker - The Unknown
Avantasia - Lost In Space 1 & 2

Suidakra - various albums
Tyr- Various albums
Alestorm
~In preparation for the PaganKnights tour last Monday~

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Mark, be looking forward to your take on Rhino. Since we both dig doom a lot I'm sure we'll be unified on this one.

cjk, I'm confident you'll love Kylesa. I'm confident it'll finish in my Top 10 this year...I have yet to procure the new God Forbid...I was really hyped on Darkest Hour a couple years ago and honestly, they were the selling band for me to go on Saturday...truly an outstanding show

Mule, how do you like the new Kylesa? I've spun Mastodon three times but haven't been given the opportunity to be alone with it. I'm astounded (in a good way) with what I've heard, and I'm happy the clean vocals are taking precedence...it appears they're leaning towards more prog than crunch, but we'll see once I review it

depth, HEAVY list, bro...I think Pagan Knights comes our way very shortly Tyr is such a good band

The Klepto said...

3 - The End Is Begun
3 - Paint By Number
3 - Summercamp Nightmare
3 - Wake Pig
Dream Evil - Gold Medal In Metal: Bronze
Great Lake Swimmers - Lost Channels
Hellmouth - Destroy Everything, Worship Nothing
Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death
KoЯn - Follow The Leader
Les Claypool - Of Fungi And Foe
Queen - The Game
Queen - Jazz
Rush - Snakes & Arrows
Seawolves - Dragonships Set Sail
StormWarrior - Heading Northe
Type O Negative - Dead Again

Ian Aiken said...

Well here I am late again, I can't even keep track of what freakin day it is anymore......

1. PESTILENCE - Resurrection Macabre
(YES, this cd RULES! It picks up right where Testimony left.)
2. D.R.I. - 4 of a Kind
3. INIQUITY - The Hidden Lore
4. DECAPITATED - The Negation
5. KING CRIMSON - In the Wake of Poseidon.
6. FRANK ZAPPA - Joe's Garage, Waka Jawaka
7. KREATOR - Hordes of Chaos
8. TORI AMOS - Under the Pink
9. KISS - Ace Frehley solo

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

and I'm late responding, Ian...I have that Pestilence disc on tap in one of the piles...always love seeing Tori in your lists and of course, the Ace