The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 4/1/09

As of tomorrow, The Metal Minute will change its name and format to The Playa's Post...

Psych!!! Happy Idiots Day!

Man, 3/4 of a year down already! Sad but true what they say about time as you grow older; I never did take my grandfather's advice, which I'm sure he's chuckling at me from the afterlife for being such a disobedient sprat.

Good vibes in the making as we are officially going to adopt the baby, huzzah! Despite my wife getting laid off last week, a monster prospect is in her hands and we're awaiting final confirmation this week of a possible new job which will give her an emotional boost and yours truly a bit more personal freedom in the upcoming months as I reconcile daddy responsibilities with my side work here in Music Land. Nevertheless, the three of us enjoyed our first Saturday out as a threesome since November, which was as wonderful as it gets, truthfully.

I managed to conduct interviews with Aaron Turner of Isis and Chris Letchford of Scale the Summit for an upcoming ish of Hails & Horns, so be on the lookout for those pieces plus an interview with Time Flies When You're in a Coma: The Wisdom of the Metal Gods author Mike Daly.

Also check out my review of the new Queensryche album American Soldier at Dee Snider's House of Hair Online as well as my write-ups of the new Derek Sherinian and Wolf albums at About.com Heavy Metal.

Spin-wise, I'm absolutely meserized by the new Mastodon album and of course the new Isis disc. Also spinning the Heavy Metal movie soundtrack a good number of times and changing things up with other assorted vibes as you can hedge from my crazy-ass playlist of the week. With deadlines coming up in a hurry, my reading and viewing time has been relegated to my review pile of Asian horror flicks for Horror News.net, as well as Strangeland.

Stay tuned for more mayhem at The Metal Minute. I've lined up a big 'ol nasty stack o' stuff to review exclusively here at the site (My Dying Bride will be on tap with an EP from an unsigned band called Hemoptysis thereafter) and I've reached out to the Kylesa camp for a future Take 5 interview; my thanks in advance to those cool cats. So need I say, keep that mouse clicker and favorites menu tuned...




Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Mastodon - Leviathan
Isis - Wavering Radiant
Scale the Summit - Monument
Scale the Summit - Carving Desert Canyons
Heavy Metal motion picture soundtrack
Queensryche - American Soldier
Shakuhachi - The Japanese Flute
Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague
Rush - 2112
Buddy Holly and The Crickets - The Chirping Crickets
Killing Joke - s/t
Killing Joke - Night Time
Thin Lizzy - Still Dangerous
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans
The Time - Ice Cream Castle
The Time - Pandemonium
Dazz Band - Greatest Hits
My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire
Paria - The Barnacle Cordious
Dolly Parton - Backwoods Barbie
Cream - Fresh Cream
The Donnas - Bitchin'
Hemoptysis - Who Needs a Shepherd? EP
Darkest Hour - Undoing Ruin
Iced Earth - Horror Show

7 comments:

Metal Mark said...

Quest for fire-s/t
Ministry-Adios Putas Madres and The Last Sucker
Tragik-Outlaw
Hammered-Gut Rot
Iron Maiden-The number of the beast and Somewhere in time
Heart-Dreamboat Annie
The Temptations-The Ultimate Collection
Saturday Morning Cartoon's Greatest Hits
Nelson-After the Rain
Warrant-Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich
King Kobra-Ready to strike
Electric Wizard-Witchcult today

cjk_44 said...

Kylesa – Static Tensions
Mastodon – Crack the Skye
God Forbid – Earthsblood
Becoming the Archetype – Dichotomy
Gallhammer – Ill Innocence
Converge – Jane Doe
Guns N’ Roses – Chinese Democracy
Adrian Belew – Side Two
Green River – Dry as a Bone/Rehab Doll
Queen – The Game, Sheer Heart Attack
The Dead Milkmen – Eat Your Paisley!
Pearl Jam – Ten, Vitalogy
Various Artists – Clerks: Music from the Motion Picture

This week’s reading list: with the end of the legislative session near I’ve been reading more arcane law and bills

Watching: managed to take my kids to see “Aliens Vs. Monsters” in 3-D

Ian Aiken said...

I'm actually on time this week.

1. PESTILENCE - Resurrection Macabre
2. NAPALM DEATH - Time Waits for no Slave
3. RUSH - Hemispheres
4. LES PAUL - Boxset
5. DEATH MENTAL - My rough mixes of the stuff I have so far
6. JON ANDERSON (of YES)- Olias of Sunhillow
7. D.R.I. - Dealing With It
8. KREATOR - Hordes of Chaos, Terrible Certainty, Pleasure to Kill
9. AMORPHIS - Tales From A Thousand Lakes
10. INIQUITY - The Hidden Lore, Grime
11. FRANK ZAPPA - The Grand Wazoo
12. OPETH - All

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Mark... Nelson? Warrant? I smell a Lesser of Two Evils in the making! GREAT call on the Temps and of course Heart with all of that metal

cjk, nice list as always, man...sooooo, what's yer take on Kylesa?

Ian, I am hoping to be at the Kreator show next week, we'll see. Can't wait to hear the new stuff outta you, bud

cjk_44 said...

Ray - I'm loving the new Kylesa. You played a role with your review having stuck "Static Tensions" in my head as something to hear. Often the highest praise for a band is when you hear them once and then want to get their entire catalog. Kylesa are like that.

Metal Mark said...

Ray-
Lesser of two evils it is. Now complete with it's own logo.

http://metalmark.blogspot.com/2009/04/lesser-of-two-evils.html

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

LOL, that's awesome, Mark. See if you can get a copyright on it!

cjk, we've gotten to know each other well through cyberspace, but I still feel greatly warmed to hear what I wrote made an impact...glad you dug it, I love it too and as soon as I can get it together, I should be having Laura Pleasants as a Take 5 guest here