The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 4/15/09

Hope y'all have your taxes done in time today. Can't believe our refund came and went into the wind with things around here breaking down and needing replacement. Good times. Or maybe not.

Well, yeah, there is some good despite some brutal days at the office that's making most of us testy, yours truly especially. However, last Friday I was featured at a poetry venue and I was more than honored to see my high school writing teacher there in attendence, Paul Day. This man is my mentor and as I've been reading in his chapbook he brought for me, he's quite a dandy scribe himself. I would say this moment was surreal, but moreso it was a true privilege getting to read for my old teacher who gave me tremendous support back in my formative years in school. Bless you, Mr. Day...

With continued lack of sleep and that poor lad o' ours continuing to be sick, I push into the wee hours many nights to keep things rolling, but I did take pause to watch a couple of Ingrid Pitt flicks, Countess Dracula and The Vampire Lovers, hubba hubba... I always did love the Hammer studio's sense of visual style...

Spin-wise, I'm still submerged into Isis as I prepare to bring you readers a review of their brilliant new album Wavering Radiant, so be on the ready for that within the next couple of days. Also spending of lot of time with Lenny Kravitz, Prong, Kreator and stuff outta Promoville. Looking forward to hearing the new Depeche Mode album once it drops. Yeah, not so metal, but I've loved that band since college, which now seems two lifetimes ago. Oy, I'm old...



Isis - In the Absence of Truth
Lenny Kravitz - Are You Gonna Go My Way
Lenny Kravitz - Mama Said
Lenny Kravitz - Let Love Rule
Kreator - Coma of Souls
Kreator - Endless Pain
Luna Mortis - The Absence
Grateful Dead - Skeletons From the Closet
Hemoptysis - Who Needs a Shepherd? EP
Gulch - Uphill Both Ways
Iced Earth - Horror Show
Prong - Power of the Damn MiXXXer
Prong - Power of the Damager
Prong - Rude Awakening
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Kylesa - Static Tensions
Ministry - Adios...
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Great White - Rising
IXXI - Elect Darkness

9 comments:

Metal Mark said...

Stone Axe-s/t
Gulch-Uphill both ways
Corpus Christi-The darker shades of white
Redliner-Vengeance
Panzer Princess-Oh, no it's Panzer Princess
Acid Drinkers-Dirty money, dirty tricks
Animal-Virus
Black Sabbath-Volume 4
Sir Lord Baltimore-all three albums
WASP-s/t
Iron Maiden-several
Hanoi Rocks-several

The Mule said...

Wobbler—Afterglow
Diagonal—s/t
V/A—This Comp Kills Fascists
Neil Young—Broken Arrow
Jucifer—L'Autrichienne

Reading:
Rock-a-Rolla (Jan/Feb 09)
Unrestrained! #39 :)

DPTH International said...

Cathedral - Cosmic Funeral ep
King Of Kings
Middlesex (local group)
Testament-Formation of Damnation
MOD - Gross misconduct,Usa for MOD, rythm of fear
SOD - all
Believer - Gabriel

Ian Aiken said...

1. PESTILENCE - All
2. HAIL OF BULLETS - Of Frost and War
3. BLACK SABBATH - Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath
4. KISS - Ace Frehley solo, Rock and Roll Over, Kiss
5. VAN HALEN - Diver Down
6. JOHN CONNLEY THEORY - Back to Basics
7. HAROLD BUDD - Abandon Cities, The Serpent(In Quicksilver)
8. ONSLAUGHT - The Force
9. KING CRIMSON - In the Court of the Crimson King
10. JOURNEY - Escape
11. TRAUMA - Determination
12. BLOODBATH - The Fathomless Mastery

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

hello, droogs, always glad to see you...

Mark, did you like Gulch? I was really into it.

Mule, good pick on the anti-fascism and of course, you have fine reading taste! :)

Dpth, when I finally got to see MOD live on that last go-round it was like everyone showed for Crisis and it really wasn't a big crowd. Once Crisis was done, so was the crowd. I shit you not, there was only 11 people there for MOD, myself incuded. Crazy. I headbanged in front of Billy's brother and we made a little party of it during the show...Billy gave me a great intie months later...strange cosmos how things turn

Ian, you're on time, bro! I don't believe I know Harold Budd, though

cjk_44 said...

Wolves in the Throne Room – Black Cascade
Mastodon – Crack the Skye
James LaBrie’s Mullmuzzler – 2
Murder Squad – Murderous Ravenous
bloodsimple – Red Harvest
Between the Buried and Me – The Anatomy of …
Underoath – Lost in the Sound off Separation
Karma to Burn – Wild, Wonderful Purgatory
Stuck Mojo – Snappin’ Necks
Enslaved – Ruun
Nocturnal Rites – New World Messiah
Walls of Jericho – With Devils Amongst Us All
Led Zeppelin – How the West Was Won
ZZ Top – Deguello
Sugar – File Under: Easy Listening

This week’s reading list: finally finished “The Lottery and Other Short Stories” by Shirley Jackson

Watching: Metallica’s HoF Induction Ceremony

Metal Mark said...

Ray-Gulch was decent. I think they need to flesh out some of their ideas more though.

DPTH International said...

That's pretty sweet Ray! Billy always seemed like a cool guy to me.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Yeah, Billy was really funny when we interviewed, but he had a slightly moody tone when we spoke and I knew it was certain things about the business that had him down.

Mark, I'll have to wait for further comment until I spin Gulch again. I listened to it on the road from Exodus/Kreator so I naturally had some speed freak left in me at the time. :)