The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 4/22/09

Hi hi hi, little droogies, thank you as always for keeping that mouse clicked here to The Metal Minute!

Though the past couple days have been beyond hectic with a rough way to go at the office but an amazing possible opportunity with my journalism pursuits, it's a been kind of a mind rape, particularly coming out of a very nice and highly productive weekend.

Saturday night after keeping after the little one all day and getting the house organized, I ended up at a local bar with an impromptu Class of '88 reunion, which a friend of mine has been politely after me to come out and hang with her and the gang. Only my busy schedule has kept us from getting together, but I was pleased to go out and find old close friends I haven't seen in 20 years and it's great when you just fall into rhythm like time never passed. The night was loud, crazy, yours truly actually got out and danced just to seize the moment, and it was honestly quite a cool thing to see a lot of people have grown up and matured. Maybe not everyone, but still, a great night getting reacquainted. Considering the rebellious slob I was in high school, I appreciated the nice reception I got this weekend.

Thus I break the midnight hour having knocked out a review of the new Gollum album, which took me five listens before I felt ready to write it up. I love albums that are so challenging you need to really investigate and prod the thing to draw a conclusion. That being said, I definitely recommend The Core by Gollum. I also recommend the new Heaven and Hell album; holy shit, that's hea-vy metal from the true masters.

Otherwise, I've been on a serious Police kick all week as happens to me whenever I pull them off the shelf. I can't just take one or two of their albums at a time; it's always the whole catalog and it's always relentless spinning thereafter. Ghost in the Machine outweighed the others even if I had to back up "Wrapped Around Your Finger" from Synchronicity a number of times, one of the most sensual songs ever written...

Also had a heavy dose of Nine Inch Nails, Prong, Kiss and the Japanese drumming ensemble Kodo. If you're a stranger to Kodo, get familiar at once! They assist Sepultura on a tune from their Against album, which is freakin' thunderous! This group lives on their own island, makes their own drums and instruments and tours the world in the name of unity and peace. As honorable a prospect as I can think of...



The Police - Outlandos D'Amour
The Police - Regatta De Blanc
The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta
The Police - Ghost in the Machine
The Police - Synchronicity
Prong - Cleansing
Prong - Beg to Differ
Prong - Rude Awakening
Kodo - Mondo Head
Kodo - Nasca Fantasy
Nine Inch Nails - The Downard Spiral
Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth
Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
Gollum - The Core
Candlemass - Death Magic Doom
Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know
Edguy - The Singles
Edguy - Tinnitus Sanctus
Great White - Rising
Midnight Oil - Diesel and Dust
Kiss - Kiss
Kiss - Dressed to Kill
Orange Sky - Dat Iz Voodoo
Lenny Kravitz - Are You Gonna Go My Way
The Pretenders - The Singles
Isis - Wavering Radiant

5 comments:

DPTH International said...

Thanks to you, I busted out some Kiss myself with Dressed To Kill, Paul Stanley first solo and The Elder (I think I might be the only one who likes this album)

Also, Voivod (most of catalogue)
Exodus - Tempo and Atrocity
Manowar - mid period
Virgin Black - Mezzo Forte
Blind Guardian - Twist in the myth
Amorphis - Tales and the Karelian Isthmus (My 2 favourites)
Karl Sanders
Woods Of Ypres
Pyramaze
and Blue Oyster Cult

cjk_44 said...

My Dying Bride – For Lies I Sire
Municipal Waste – The Art of Partying
Jag Panzer – Mechanized Warfare
Dimension Zero – He Who Shall Not Bleed
Insomnium – Above the Weeping World
Danzig – s/t, Lucifuge
Megadeth – So Far, So Good … So What!
Maple Cross – Next Chapter
Torchbearer – Yersinia Pestis
Enslaved – Below the Lights
Dream Theater – Score: 20th Anniversary Tour
Novembers Doom – The Knowing
The Stooges – Funhouse
Tree – Our Day Will Come
Ronnie Wood – Slide on Live: Plugged In and Standing
Townes Van Zandt – At My Window

This week’s reading list: slate.com

Watching: NHL playoffs, Red Sox baseball

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Dpth, I don't hate The Elder; in fact, I've listened to it far more times than I expected to in this life. By no means in my favorites category, but only because of who and what Kiss was at the time is it villainized....great list, BTW

cjk, my bane this year is missing out on so much hockey! I've seen a little bit of the cup, but I used to be a hockey analyst for a site, so this is really embarassing for me to be behind on my puck action!

fredcq said...

I've been listening to:

1. Slough Feg: Ape Uprising - Awesome record. True metal! Much better than Hardworlder, which I liked but didn't love.

2. Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Agorapocalypse.

3. Joanna Newsom - Ys

4. Shellac - Excellent Italian Greyhound

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Gonna pull the Slough outta my promo pile since I've loved their last couple albums and people are raving on this one