The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 4/8/09



Just crawling back from the Kreator/Exodus gig tonight in Baltimore with bleeding ears even with plugs! Suffice it to say, both bands brought it old-school style; Exodus was spot-on aggressive, while Kreator was astonishingly thunderous. An amazing night of thrash though not without its adversities; however, those were overcome and as you can see in the pic above I managed to cross paths and chat with Exodus' Gary Holt for a quick minute as we'd interviewed together twice in the past for Metal Maniacs. I'd have to say yours truly looks like he stepped out of the proverbial cuckoos' nest in that shot, oy.

Stay tuned this Thursday for my photos of the Exodus and Kreator gig which will be running here at The Metal Minute. Pretty snazzy stuff, considering I wasn't aware my memory card had been pinched by wifey and I had very little space on the internal memory, thus I had to be on my game with only 35 available shots to me. Good times! I think you fine folks will pleased nevertheless...

Also want to give a shout to the young brothers from WIXQ 91.7 FM I met at the gig tonight. These dudes run their own metal station where they pimp "Fifteen hours of metal in one day" on Wednesdays. Check 'em out: www.wixq.com

This Friday I have an open mike poetry feature performance where I'm on for about two hours minus time for a break. If you're in the Westminster, Maryland vicinity and want to attend, drop me a line and I'll give you details.

So needless to say, things are getting back on track life-wise. The boy is growing so quickly and he's a joy to have around and to watch him be so happy in our presence. He brings a certain love to the house that I'm sure all parents feel, no matter the hardships and the occasional combativeness kids have within their chemical makeup. This kid'll be moshing in no time!

As I was on a marathon to get seven assignments turned in within the timeframe of last Friday to this Monday, I'd have to say there was only time to watch this insane Japanese sex and gore flick, Cruel Restaurant for Horror News.net, which has a punchline you'll have to see to believe. Honestly, that's the only tube time I've had since last Thursday.

Spin-wise, heavy doses of My Dying Bride, Rush, Mastodon and Isis with a bunch of review albums that needed to get out of here pronto, plus I'm still way stuck on that Heavy Metal film soundtrack, so let's give that one top spinner of the week, eh?

Hope everyone's well out there. I just want to thank all the people who wrote in about The Metal Minute winning the Metal Hammer award last week. I hate to sound like a broken record, but you all are the reason I keep this thing going so you have every bit to do with the award as myself. Cheers to all of you and bless you for sticking by this site. As Dio would say, we rock...



Heavy Metal motion picture soundtrack
My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire
My Dying Bride - Songs of Darkness Words of Light
My Dying Bride - A Line of Deathless Kings
My Dying Bride - The Light at the End of the World
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans
Isis - In the Absence of Truth
Isis - Wavering Radiant
Isis - Celestial
Isis - Oceanic remixes
Isis/Aerogramme - In the Fishtank 14
Arise - The Reckoning
Mastodon - Remission
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Kylesa - Static Tensions
Psychostick - Sandwich
Rush - Hemispheres
Rush - Permanent Waves
Cream - Fresh Cream
Bulletmonks - Weapons of Mass Destruction
Thin Lizzy - Still Dangerous: Live at the Tower Theatre Philadelphia 1977
Gnaw - This Face
Hellsaw - Cold
The Funeral Pyre - December EP

7 comments:

Metal Mark said...

The Chelsea Smiles-s/t
Gomorah-By the means of violence
Fetid Zombie-Abort the messiah
Masterpiece-W.A.F.E
Acid Drinkers-several
Persona Nongrata-Shade in the light
Arctic Flame-Declaration
Hanoi Rocks-several
Schoolhouse Rock
Dokken-Back for the attack
Iron Maiden-The number of the beast
Motley Crue-Shout at the devil and Dr. Feelgood

The Mule said...

Mitochondrion—Archaeaeon
Cobalt—Gin
Mastodon—Crack the Skye
The Jesus Lizard—Head/Pure
Beck—Sea Change
PJ Harvey and John Parish—A Woman a Man Walked By

cjk_44 said...

Wolves in the Throne Room – Black Cascade
Mastodon – Crack the Skye
Pain – Rebirth
By Night – A New Shape of Despair
Devian – Ninewinged Serpent
The Faceless – Aleldama, Planetary Duality
God Forbid – Live at the Starland Ballroom
Sothis – De Oppresso Liber
Fates Warning – FWX
Fear Factory – Obsolete
Michael Lee Firkins – s/t
Burn Halo – s/t
Oxes – Oxxxes
Loving the Lie – Legends of Charm City
Jeff Beck – Truth
Michael Hedges – Taproot

This week’s reading list: “The Lottery and Other Short Stories” by Shirley Jackson

Watching: baseball!

Ian Aiken said...

Here I am late again......

1. PESTILENCE - Resurrection Macabre
2. ALANIS MORISSETTE - Under Rug Swept
3. DAWN OF AZAZEL - Sedition
4. STEVE HOWE - The Grand Scheme of Things, Turbulence
5. BLOOD RED THRONE - Affiliated With the Suffering
6. RUSH - Power Windows, A Show of Hands
7. RAZOR - Violent Restitution
8. NUCLEAR ASSAULT - The Plague
9. S.Y.L. - City, Alien

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Mark, eventually I'll request those Acid Drinkers. I can't wait to play Schoolhouse Rock again for Troy. Right now he care less about anything other than walking and exploring and doing things we would do as adults, plus listening to music, so I'll eventually slip that DVD on again since he paid attention to 4 of the songs the first time I ever tried it on him.

Mule and cjk, what are your impressions of the new Mastodon?

Ian, as you can see,I'm late posting a response, so no worries. Cool on the Nuclear Assault. I saw two people wearing their shirts the other day at the Kreator/Exodus gig...lots of old schoolers at that one

cjk_44 said...

Ray, the new Mastodon is great. it's got a lot of layers and colors to absorb. helluva a story line, too. definitely an early frontrunner for best album of 2009.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Agreed. A total masterpiece. I still favor Leviathan, but this album's unbelievable.