The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Whatyya Listenin' to Wednesday - 4/29/09

Okee dokee, so production is down here at The Metal Minute, my apologies, readers. It's that time of the month at the office where you never leave and tempers are way up and I'll just leave the drama out of my monologue this morning since it's chaotic enough.

Been up since 5:00 a.m. getting an overdue review of the new God Dethroned album for About.com cranked out, then hustling the kid to school only to find I need to drop back there again this morning with overdue paperwork and extra provisions for the squirt. Second occurence this week, Jesus, and as I heard The Bangles' yummy take on Prince's "Manic Monday" this morning, I thought, yup, dead on, but what about the rest of the week? Every day is a day I wish my bed was already made, lyrically speaking...

Thus it's been absolute lunacy and falling flat on my face with things due left and right and interviews being rescheduled from both ends. It's fun, I tells ya! At least we had an enjoyable Sunday with friends, food and hiking, but that vibe was dashed the minute I set foot into my work shoes the next day.

So as a result, I've been stuck on the new Depeche Mode album which I can't get enough of and it's like alternative rock week for me with a lot of Candlemass wedged in there, repeat plays of Spiritual Beggars and a couple of promo slides including the new CKY album. Not very productive but I hope things can ease slightly enough to get on track here, so stayed tuned, everyone. The hits are still steady and I thank you all; I'll be getting some new material generated immediately...



Depeche Mode - Sounds of the Universe
Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith and Devotion
Depeche Mode - Black Celebration
Depeche Mode - Playing the Angel
Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward
Depeche Mode - Violator
The Cure - Japanese Whispers
The Cure - Head On the Door
The Cure - 4:13 Dream
Candlemass - Death Magic Doom
Candlemass - Nightfall
Candlemass - s/t
Candlemass - King of the Grey Islands
Spiritual Beggars - s/t
God Dethroned - Passiondale
CKY - Carver City
Luna Mortis - Absence
Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know

8 comments:

Metal Mark said...

Reading
Some book by one of the Starbucks guys

Watching
Speed Racer the complete series
Andy Griffith season 2
Gremlins 2

Listening
Knyght-Bet Everything
Mindbreaker-s/t
X-terra-X-Nihilo
Black Label Society-Skullage
Crescent Shield-The Stars of never seen
Iron Maiden-The number of the beast
Heaven and hell-The devil you know
Funhouse-Generation Generator
Prong-Power of the damn mixxxer
Hanoi Rocks-several

The Mule said...

Sacred Blade—Of the Sun + Moon
Madking Ludwig—Seven Stairways
Diagonal—Diagonal
Big Black—Songs About Fucking

reading: Martin Amis—London Fields

DPTH International said...

In preparation for last nights PaganFest 2009 I spun through the Korpiklaani catalogue and some early Moonsorrow.

Looking forward to Swashbuckle's "Crewed by the damned" which I finally picked up, but have yet to hear.

Blind Guardian - Nightfall...Middle-earth, Imaginations ... & Forgotten Tales

Thyrfing's - Hels Vite
Elvenking's- Two tragic Poets
Watch Tower - Energetic Disassembly

Furious Barking - Theory of Diversity.
Xentrix - Kin

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

After finishing my high school teacher Paul Day's chapbook, I started the first ten pages of Joel McIver's Cliff Burton bio To Live is to Die. Watching-wise, not much save for a little bit of hockey and this flick called "Look" I'm reviewing where the thing is told through surveillence cameras

Mark, how are you digging Heaven and Hell? I have Crescent Shield on deck after listening to the new Slough Feg three times today. I got to spin the CD of Skullage a few weekends ago but haven't seen the DVD yet

Mule, I think I need to hear any album that's called "Songs About Fucking" :0

Dpth, how was the PaganFest? It came through here but I missed out. Tough schedule as you've read, lol...

cjk_44 said...

My Dying Bride – For Lies I Sire
3 Inches of Blood – Fire Up the Blades
Cobalt – Eater of Birds
Volbeat – various tracks via YouTube
Evile – various tracks via You Tube
Ozric Tentacles – The Yumyum Tree
ZZ Top – Eliminator
Bill Frisell – The Intercontinentals
Classic rock random mix via iPod

This week’s reading list: “Behind Sad Eyes: The Life of George Harrison” by Marc Shapiro

Watching: NHL playoffs (Ray, the strike really made me angry and it's only been this year that i've begun to watch hockey again)

Ian Aiken said...

I was SO ill last week that I wasn't able to post so this list is for last week and also this week.

1. PESTILENCE - (of course) Resurrection Macabre
2. VADER - Impressions in Blood
3. DAYS OF THE NEW - I, II, III
4. YES - Tales From Topographic Oceans
5. EDGE OF SANITY - Unorthodox
6. OPETH - Watershed
7. JOURNEY - Departure
8. PINK FLOYD - Dark Side of the Moon
9. BLOOD RED THRONE - Affiliated With the Suffering, Altered Genesis
10. DARK ANGEL - Darkness Descends
11. HAROLD BUDD - The Serpent in Quicksilver, Abandoned Cities
12. CELTIC FROST - Monotheist
13. VAN HALEN - I, II, Diver Down
14. KISS - Destroyer
15. VOIVOD - Killing Technology
16. COMECON - Converging Conspiracies
17. GRAVE - You'll Never See
18. BLOODBATH - The Fathomless Mastery

DPTH International said...

Paganfest was pretty cool this year. I enjoyed it more so then last years. Swashbuckle were a hoot, Canadian band Blackguard was solid.

Moonsorrow blew me away. I'm impressed with the fullness of sound from these 4 dudes.

Primordial was intense, but suffered a little with a muffled sound quality.

And Korpiklaani were ... well just fun. The band certainly were enjoying themselves and that was translated through the crowd.

So, overall a solid line up and performances.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

cjk, all over the place as always! That Volbeat is fun little band...I used to be part-time hockey analyst for a site ages ago so even though the strike angered me as well, the sport's too much in my blood, I guess, considering I never played professionally or anything

Ian, likewise all over the place...sorry to hear you were so under the weather, bro...obviously you're on the ups!

Dpth, Korpiklaani was one of the reasons I kicked myself for not making it...love love love that band. I remember getting an invite from them to come over and drink dark ale with them when we interviewed about 4 albums ago, lol...sounds like a good time