The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 5/13/09

Happy Wednesday, metalheads!

Quite an eventful week over here as yours truly took one step closer to official middle age yesterday hitting the 39 mark. It was a quiet birthday save for some nice celebration from the office marketer and good friend of mine who brought in cake and the new Prince and Bob Dylan albums for me. You rule, Gail... Then Mommy and the spud came home with Hawaiian pizza and the Super Bowl XLIII DVD for me. You rule, family!

The reason for this low-key birthday is due to outpatient surgery I had on Monday which I had two lesions removed my head and then a mass from my neck which turned out to be non-cancerous fatty tissue, so huzzah to that! The pain is starting to go over and the birthday has been pre-empted to the weekend and a little dinner get-together with my Daddy-O this evening. Mother's Day went off without a hitch (save for a very wild and reckless toddler exerting his anger, lol) as I made my best ladies chicken parm and in the same weekend we got to catch up with longtime friends we haven't seen in forever. Good times.

As you can tell if you've been keeping current with The Metal Minute this week, the Subhumans ruled my world music-wise, but I was very impressed with the new Hacride album as well, of which you can find my review at About.com. Prince's Sign O' the Times got a lot of spinnage in preparation of the new stuff Lotusflow3r. From what I've heard of the new album, Prince sings with more youthful exuberance and dirties up the guitars. Shit yeah to that...hope the rest lives up as it's a 3-disc album with some new protege of his named Bria Valente getting her own disk. Plus I was quite happy to see this set being offered for $12-14 in various places, good man, Prince. Let's see, the Stones' Aftermath got heavy doses, as did The Clash's Combat Rock, even if the latter is barely above Cut the Crap on the value factor, it being relative crap itself. Oh well, we all have our vices.

But this is The Metal Minute (even with a less heavy spin list for the week), so with that being said, expect a duel of the tusks in upcoming reviews of Rhino and Rhinobucket and if I can heal myself quickly, we'll get that Luna Mortis interview up and running. Thanks as always, faithful lot. Mad love for each and every one of you worldwide...



Subhumans - Worlds Apart
Subhumans - The Day the Country Died
Subhumans - From the Cradle to the Grave
Subhumans - Time Flies/Rats
Subhumans - EP-LP
Subhumans - 29:29 Split Vision
Prince - Sign O' the Times
Prince - Lotusflow3r
Hacride - Lazarus
GBH - No Need to Panic
Rolling Stones - Aftermath
The Clash - Combat Rock
Beck - Guero
Rhinobucket - The Hardest Town
Marvin Gaye - Great Songs and Performances
Robert Johnson - King of the Delta Blues Singers Vol. 2
Beastie Boys - The Mix-Up
Air - The Virgin Suicides Original Motion Picture Score
Black Label Society - Skullage

9 comments:

Metal Mark said...

Magica-Wolves and witches
Blind Fury-Out of reach (re-issue)
Nihilitia-Nihilist Militia
Burial Hordes-Devotion to unholy creed
Wyldsky-s/t
Assemble head in sunburst sound-When sweet sleep returned
Witch-Damnation
Scopions-Humanity Hour
The Exploited-Punks not dead
Breaker-Get Tough

cjk_44 said...

Isis – Wavering Radiant
Volbeat – Guitar Gangsters & Cadillac Blood
Dream Theater – A Rite of Passage (new single)
Pain of Salvation – One Hour by the Concrete Lake
The Aurora Project – Shadow Border
Queens of the Stone Age – Songs for the Deaf
Municipal Waste – The Art of Partying
Clutch – s/t
The Clash – London Calling
Buckethead – Monsters & Robots
Acid Bath – When the Kite String Pops
Green Day – American Idiot
The Robert Cray Band – Midnight Stroll

This week’s reading list: finishing up “Passion is Fashion: The Real Story of the Clash” by Pat Gilbert

Watching: NHL playoffs, Wilco’s “Ashes of American Flags”

ahhh.. the rigors of facing the aging process and the health issus that go along with it. continued good health and good cheer to you as always.

bob_vinyl said...

How can you say that Combat Rock is only a little better than Cut the Crap?!?!? Combat may be the worst of the true Clash albums, but it's still outstanding. I could live without "Rock the Casbah" as it's been playing into the ground, but you get Should I Stay...," "Straight to Hell," "Atom Tan," and the stellar "Straight to Hell." The Clash were still very muc at the top of their game on that one. Cut the Crap is the Clash in name only and probably only has one track ("We Are the Clash") that is even remotely acceptable. Combat Rock is an easy 8/10 while Cut the Crap would struggle to get 4/10. It's really a shame that it was ever released under such a proud name.

Anyway...

The Clash - Cost of Living EPThe Clash - Black Market ClashThe Clash - Give 'Em Enough RopeCharles Mingus - Pithecanthropus ErectusGaslight Anthem - The '59 SoundSunday Cannons - Red to the RindSpirits of the Dead - s/t
All Mighty Senators - Spit Fire WhyGood Old War - Only Way to Be Alone

FredCQ said...

1. Slough Feg - Ape Uprising: This will be on my list until the next one comes out.

2. Wilco - Wilco (The Album): Not released yet, but it's streaming at their site. My favorite American rock band.

3. Dinosaur Jr. - Tarpit 7-Inch

4. Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know

5. My band's rough demos.

6. Those two new Voivod songs.

Ian Aiken said...

1. INIQUITY - The Hidden Lore
2. VORE - All......
3. IRON MAIDEN - Somewhere In Time
4. DEF LEPPARD - High & Dry, Pyromania
5. FRANK ZAPPA - Sleep Dirt
6. OBSCURA - Cosmogenisis
7. GOD DETHRONED - All......
8. PINK FLOYD - Animals, The Final Cut
9. BLACK SABBATH - Paranoid
10. GOJIRA - The Way of All Flesh
11. MESHUGGAH - Nothing
12. IMMOLATION - Harnessing Ruin

JP said...

Glad the operation went well!

Recent listens:

Black Pyramid: s/t
Cobalt: Gin
Mastodon: Crack The Skye, Remission
Vomitory: Carnage Euphoria
1349: Revelations Of The Black Flame
Kylesa: Time Will Fuse Its Worth
Blut Aus Nord: Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue With Stars
Gortal: Blasphemous Sindecade
Lion's Share: Dark Hours
Entombed: Clandestine
SOlitude Aeternus: Through The Darkest Hour
Blood Tsunami: Grand Feast For Vultures

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Interesting, Bob, did you ever dislike Combat Rock? I thought that was on shit list at one point. I dug it off the shelf to re-evaluate since indeed "Casbah" is always on but I still love that damn song and sang it to the baby over the weekend in the car. There's definitely some goodies on there and some spotty ones. I'll let you know how I think as I spin it some more as it's been ages since I've played it. Looks like you, me and cjk are in a Clash kinda mood, though. :)

Mark, I've yet to hear the new Assemble but really dug the last one.

cjk, I too have been checking out the NHL playoffs but still not with the regularity I'd prefer...eclectic list as always...glad you're on top of Isis...they're coming here with Pelican and I'm on that one, definitely! thanks for the good wishes

Fred, Slough Feg will win next month's album of the month, so I can understand your enthusiasm. I've yet to listen to those Voivod tracks, shame on me!!!

JP, thanks, buddy! I've not heard Blood Tsunami yet, though the one they did on Galy Records was quite good.

Ian, how's the songwriting going ,dude?

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

okay, I will soften my stance a hair and retract the "crap" statement on Combat Rock; lyrically it does stand for something and as always The Clash were looking to push the mold and bridge genres, but I couldn't go as high as 8/10...the songs I still love are "Know Your Rights," "Casbah" (can't help it; it was too well done despite being overplayed) "Should I Stay" (ditto) and "Overpowered by Funk." "Funk" could've dangerously become a disco disaster but I think they were so intelligent with the external instrumentation they ended up helping future bands like English Beat find their way

bob_vinyl said...

"Straight to Hell" is one of the best songs they ever wrote. "Red Angel Dragnet" is powerful. "Atom Tan" is cool too. As well as the ones you mentioned (with the possible exception of "Casbah"). The last four tracks get a little confused with some good ideas that either don't get developed or just get off-track, but otherwise it's fantastic. "Overpowered by Funk" is clearly funk and not disco as it avoids all the slickness that separates the two genres.

I looked up some reviews just to see what it got and it was generally in 3.5 to 4 out of 5 range (and a B+ from Christgau), so it seems that some people are on the same page as me and some feel, as you do, that it's too high at 8/10. Either way though, there's no need to apologize for or explain yourself for listening to Combat Rock. Cut the Crap you kinda have to explain. It's pretty messy.