The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 5/27/09

Hola, readers, best wishes for a faboo shortened workweek after the holiday weekend. An extended moment of silence for time's soldiers not only of American descent but around the world for laying down their lives under the conviction of protecting their own. Such a sacrifice cannot go unsaluted no matter your rank or where you hail from.

Production came skidding to a halt with the Memorial Day weekend as we were on the go and cleaning up the joint when we were actually home. A good, long weekend with junior going berserk after a happy day at a town festival on Saturday, though he took his first hard spill and scraped up his nose pretty horrorshow. Starting to clear up and he's been taking it like a little man though getting otherwise rambunctious as be inches closer towards the dreaded Terrible Two's. Pray for me, willya?

Spin-wise, I just set up my father's old turntable which he passed down to me along with about 70 albums. A lot of sixties and seventies rock, pop and soul, so I found myself enamored with CCR belting out of those medium-sized speakers and remembering how booming they sounded to my ears 30-35 years ago. Still quite a joy to see it all working quite well and I'll be looking forward to spinning those records for nostalgia sake if not in some cases for historical value.

Megadeth's Peace Sells...But Who's Buying was certainly my rock of the week during a very hard work week coming into the three-day weekend. That album always lifts my spirits like therapy, as I told my friend Bob Vinyl as we drove back from seeing the Anvil movie on Friday.

Stay tuned in the upcoming days for reviews of the new Jon Mikl Thor album as well as Tim "Ripper" Owens and other goodies. The new Pelican and Doro Pesch albums just arrived yesterday, plus the 25th anniversary edition of Twisted Sister's Stay Hungry, boss! Ya'll stay tuned...



Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?
Air - The Virgin Suicides soundtrack
Van Halen - Women and Children First
Van Halen - Fair Warning
Ministry - Adios...
Prong - Power of the Damager
Prong - Power of the Damn MiXXXer
Danzig - Circle of Snakes
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Green River
Steely Dan - Aja
Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God
Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side
Step On It: The Best of The Ska Parade Radio Show
Jon Mikl Thor - Sign of the V
Gary Wright - The Dream Weaver
Diana Ross & The Supremes - The Ultimate Collection
James Brown - The CD of JB (Sex Machine and Other Soul Classics)
Bob Dylan - Together Through Life
Brian Setzer - 13
Earth Crisis - To the Death

14 comments:

JP said...

I haven't been listening much to new albums this week, for some reason.

Danzig 4
Spirit Caravan: The Last Embrace
Master Of Reality: Blue Garden
Acid Bath: Paegan Terrorism Tactics
New Keepers Of The Water Towers: Chronicles
Napalm Death: Time Waits For No Slave
Abdullah: s/t
Celtic Frost: To Mega Therion

And a whole mess of jazz bought cheap from the used bin in a local store.

Taylor said...

John Mikle Thor just played here in San Francisco last night. Unfortunately I had to miss. You have me wondering how it sounds.

New albums for me...

Isahn: Angle
Portal: Outre

Both not really new, but I hadn't given them a proper listen until now. The Isahn is way deeper than I originally thought and Portal just boggles the mind.

Cheers.

Metal Mark said...

watching-
Big Bang Theory season 1
Star Trek the animated series

reading-a bunch of children's books for work and school visits

IQ-Frequency
Stratovarius-Polaris
Midnite Social-s/t
Sian Alice Group-Troubled, shaken, etc.
Whiplash-Power and pain, Ticket to mayhem
Zoetrope-A life of crime
Boneshaker-Union
Sacred Oath-s/t
Cyndi Lauper-True Colors, A night to remember
Warbringer-Waking into nightmares
Subhumans-all those re-issues

The Mule said...

IQ—Frequency
Steven Wilson—Insurgentes
Madking Ludwig—Seven Stairways
Cheap Trick—In Color (1997 Steve Albini recording)
Henry Cow—Western Culture
Jesu—Silver EP

I just learned yesterday that Madder Mortem have a new album, so I have to check that out very soon.

Reading: Comedy at the Edge by Richard Zoglin

bob_vinyl said...

John Coltrane - Live at Village Vanguard
Elvis Costello - Secret, Profane and Sugarcane
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Uplift Mofo Party Plan
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus
Art Tatum/Ben Webster - The Album
Anvil - Hard n Heavy
Anvil - Strength of Steel
(both in preparation for the movie)
Anvil Bitch - Rise to Offend (it was next to Anvil on the shelf)
Sound & Shape - The Love Electric
Dirty Sweet - Of Monarchs and Beggars
A bunch of dance 12 inches

DPTH International said...

I've been listening to:

AC/DC - various albums
Fairyland - A Score to a new beginning
Iron Angel
Iron Clad
Rue The Day - The Machine
Sword - Sweet Dreams
Lumsk
Mastodon - Crack The Skye
Eluveitie's new acoustic album

Also some Anvil and Life In Your Way.

fredcq said...

What do you think of those new Prong records? I can't get into their new stuff. I used to be a huge fan. Rude Awakening was one of my favorites.

Genesis - Nursery Cryme

John Fahey - Blind Joe Death

Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know

They Might Be Giants - Here Come the 123s (since we're being honest, this gets played in the car daily when the little one is around)

Death - Symbolic

cjk_44 said...

My van was in the shop for most of the last 7 days – the loaner I got only had a tape deck. That fancy little fact explains some of the listening choices this week.

Enslaved – all
Dream Theater – A Change of Seasons
Prong – Force Fed
Rush – Roll the Bones
Iron Maiden – Piece of Mind
Diamond Head – Am I Evil?: The Diamond Head Anthology
Nazareth – Expect No Mercy
Laaz Rocket – Know Your Enemy
Voivod – Angel Rat
Brutal Truth – Need to Know
Fates Warning – Perfect Symmetry, Night on Brocken
Chris Duarte and the Bluestone Company – 396

This week’s reading list: “Iggy Pop: Open Up and Bleed” by Paul Trynka

Watching: Opeth/Enslaved at the 9:30 Club, Monty Python – Season One, Episodes 1 – 3

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

LP, yup, slim list for you, lol... I know what you mean about getting the new stuff worked in when there's so much other stuff to listen to as...it takes discipline to stay on track with the promos and admittedly some weeks I am more interested in comfort zone music to keep my head clean

Taylor, welcome! I love both of the Ihsahn solo albums. Too bad you missed Thor, I understand he's quite the performer. He's also one hell of a generous guy. Stay tuned for the review of Sign of the V

Mark, I can't help but notice the Cyndi Lauper sticking out of a very fine list of stuff. Do you like her or is it for some other purpose? Just asking out of curiosity. I always preach listening to other genres to keep your favorite one fresh

Mule, I'll have to scratch around for that Jesu. Thought I have it somewhere.

Bob, I remember us listening to the Costello album in your car and I liked it. He's Country Costello now! Dance slabs? Hmmm...

Glad you and Dpth are pimping the Anvil...it's amazing, they even have a street team now. Can it possibly be they're going to do it?

Dpth I haven't listened to the new Fairyland yet but I remember the first one being quite heavy, which I thought, if you're going to call your band Fairyland and expect to be taken seriously in a metal crowd, you'd better go balls-out!

Fred, I like the new Prong albums well enough and they're a little better than Scorpio Rising...the remix album is inventive at times, particularly Rob Caggiano's house mix...somehow it works nicely

cjk, got your email but it's been a little insane this week as usual so I missed the Opeth/Enslaved show, which pissed me off since I'd had that one checked on my must-see list. I should be going to Isis and Pelican this Sunday at Sonar. I think I may have less than a handful of cassettes not including my interview tapes...I'd say you were hurting but at least your old school selections were cool!

bob_vinyl said...

The dance 12 inches come from a big batch that Chuck bought and gave to me as long as I recorded them for him since he doesn't have a turntable. I recorded like nine of them over a few days and that was about all I could take. It's mostly house stuff. I can appreciate it now that I understand it and even enjoy it in small doses, but it gets old fast.

My prediction for Anvil is that they will have some short term success that revolves around the movie, but in a year, they'll be back where they were before. They're just not that good and I don't think they can capitalize on this opportunity by churning out second-rate metal at a time when the genre seems to be headed in either a more experimental direction.

Metal Mark said...

Ray-I got several of her CDs free and decided to check them out.

rossfan said...

If you are not listening to Diana Ross, you're missing out on one of Motown's greatest legends with and without The Supremes (Mary Wilson, Florence Ballard and Cindy Birdsong)

For more on Diana, check out Dick's Diana Ross Website at http://raketler.angelfire.com/

Thanks!

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Hahaha, Rossfan, if you saw my statuses at Facebook you'll see the Supremes came up a bit and I inherited a couple of her seventies albums on vinyl, so I'm in the good :) Thanks for coming by

Mark, that's cool. My wife loves Cyndi and I like a handful of songs, though I will give her monster credit for her live take on "Strawberry Fields" in Central Park...unbelievable

Bob, as a former review of electronic music even I say it can wear on you after awhile if you're exposed for too long. Hell, as much as I love metal and punk above other genres, I have take short breaks from those as well

cjk_44 said...

Enslaved were great. some of their songs didn't translate as well live as i'd hoped, but it was simply awesome to see them get the love and respect they deserve.

Opeth were cool as always. the best parts of the show were "Karma" (a rarely played and late addition to the set to vary things for the band) and a nice, extended version of "Closure".

that having been said i would have liked to have seen Isis/Pelican, too.