The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 6/10/09

Howdy do, readers! Another Wednesday is upon us and since there's no "Wicked Wednesday" or "Wacky Wednesday" courtesy of Prince and The Bangles, you can make up your own ditty accordingly.

Holding it down as best we can in Casa del Van Horn as I prepare to start a new job and as luck always seems to go, my wife is bitten by the unemployment bug immediately within. There's far worse situations, considering the unnerving pleas for help I see on a constant basis within the industry I work full-time, but... Seems like there's a yin and yan to everything, and with a broken weedeaster and hacked electric cord within the same hour, you've gotta wonder who controls the spinning of the karma wheel. I could really use a drink right about now, but I'm outta Guinness. Oh well, it's always better to hit the booze when you're happy than when you're not.

On the nice side, the little man's been with us an entire year now and hopefully wifey will be gainfully employed again shortly so we can move forward with his adoption. To celebrate we took him up to Gettysburg, had a family picnic, strolled the battlefield including a re-enacted Union camp and then the refurbished cyclorama. Little man's too young to appreciate it all, but he certainly loved everything he could take in. I've been there almost 30 times now since we live so close, but it's like re-experiencing it all with a new set of eyes.

Listening-wise, it's been another mega cluster with a lot of Isis, Quicksand, Black Crowes and Talking Heads. Talk about your opposite sides of the spectrum! Happy the Stanley Cup finals are heading for a Game 7 despite the atrocious behavior of the Penguins in Game 5, albeit they looked Cup-ready in the sixth game. Come on, Friday, let's crown a winner!

Otherwise been hanging with The Three Stooges and the Pittsburgh Steelers' recent Super Bowl victory on DVD and I'm plugging quietly along with the Cliff Burton bio. Of course I needed to spin Kill 'em All a couple times just to put myself into McElver's writing mind.

Stay tuned in the next couple weeks for upcoming exams of new shite from Gulch, Hammerfall, Paul Gilbert & Freddie Nelson, CKY, Devil's Whorehouse, Warbringer, Gonin-Ish, Sunn O))) and the Devin Townsend Project. If I can get enough time to hit the tape, I'll serve up the overdue Take 5 with Mary Zimmer of Luna Mortis.

Cheers to yer ears...



Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food
Talking Heads - Talking Heads: 77
Pelican - Ephemeral
Pelican - City of Echoes
Doro - Fear No Evil
The Black Crowes - Warpaint Live
Tim "Ripper" Owens - Play My Game
Nihilitia - Nihilist Militia
Twisited Sister - Stay Hungry 25th Anniversary Edition
Ian Gillan - One Eye to Morocco
Metallica - Kill 'em All
Metallica - Death Magnetic
Depeche Mode - Playing the Angel
Guns 'n Roses - Chinese Democracy
Isis - In the Absence of Truth
Isis - Panopticon
Isis - Wavering Radiant
Quicksand - Slip
Descendents - Milo Goes to College
Tomahawk - Mit Gas
Green Carnation - The Acoustic Verses
Midnight Oil - Blue Sky Mining
Bauhaus - The Sky's Gone Out
Queensryche - Promised Land
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Ritchie Valens - The Ritchie Valens Story
Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man: Something Wicked Part 2
Peccatum - Lost in Reverie

10 comments:

Metal Mark said...

Twisted Sister-Stay Hungry 25th anniversary edition
Axis Powers-Marching towards destruction
Dogs of winters-From soil to shale
Bone Shaker-Union
Sword-Metalized
G-n-R-several
Crumsuckers-B.O.M.B
Ventures-Best of
Zoetrope-A life of crime
Animal-Virus
Vindicator/Metalwitch-split disc
IQ-Frequency
Circadian Rising-demo

The Mule said...

Reverend Bizarre—In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend
Reverend Bizarre—Harbinger of Metal
The Modern Genius of Ray Davies (Mojo Mag tribute album)
Musk Ox—s/t
Hawkwind—In Search of Space

DPTH International said...

Damien-Every Dog .. Stop This War
Iron Angel
Mechanical Poet - Woodland Prattler
Living Sacrifice-S/T and Hammering Process
Hyades- Abuse your Illusions
Winterfylleth-The ghost of heritage
Falkenbach - various
Viking - Do or Die & man of straw
Wintersun.

Ian Aiken said...

1. VOIVOD - Katorz, Killing Technology
2. OZZY - Bark at the Moon, No Rest for the Wicked
3. BLACK SABBATH - Sabotage
4. JUNGLE ROT - What Horrors Await
5. IMMOLATION - Unholy Cult
6. NAPALM DEATH - Time Waits for No Slave
7. STEVE HOWE - Skyline, Spectrum
8. DECEASED - The Blueprints for Madness
9. YES - Relayer

Hey Ray, is Metal Maniacs done or are they going to print any more issues? It seems like it's been a few months since the last issue.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Ian, Maniacs is dead. The publisher folded all of their imprints including Maniacs. The editors aren't sure if it'll ever resurface but right now, RIP.

More later, guys, storm's crushing us right now

Fredcq said...

My Slough Feg Ape Uprising vinyl just arrived from Germany! I'll be spinning that a lot.

Other than that...the doom patrol is marching:

1. Cathedral - All
2. Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
3. Sleep - Holy Mountain
4. Fu Manchu - Go For It...Live!
5. Dinosaur Jr. - Farm
6. Black Sabbath - Mob Rules

Checking other folks lists out...Thumbs up to The Mule for the Reverend Bizarre CDs and Metal Mark for the Crumbsuckers. I had BOMB on tape...I wonder what happened to it.

cjk_44 said...

I visited Massachusetts for the first time this year and managed to make it to the new (and very large!) Newbury Comics in Norwood. My listening time was limited, but I did manage to spin most of the just released stuff I acquired at least once upon my return home.

Chickenfoot – s/t
Vinnie Moore – To the Core
The Gathering – The West Pole
Ohmphrey – s/t
Rancid – Let the Dominoes Fall
Samael – Above
Audioslave – Revelations
Isis – Panapticon
Metallica – Ride the Lightning
Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks – Pig Lib

This week’s reading list: “Brainiac” by Ken Jennings

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I too say yay to Crumbsuckers, my copy of BOMB was also on tape and hence eating alive, dammit...saw a young dude wearing a Crumb shirt and I passed him compliments...also yay to Zoetrope and The Ventures, Mark...nice list in all

Mule, Hawkwind is one I've unbelievably never chased down despite mentally always scouting for used copies to buy...eventually I'll get them

Dpth, cheers on Damien...I'd interviewed Johnny and one of the other guys for my book ages ago...I should listen to those chat tapes


Ian, I'm looking forward to the final Voivod project as I've always loved them with all my heart...I can always count on you for not only Sabbath but also Yes and Jungle Rot! :)

Fred is hereforth on doom patrol with J. Mascis flanking him


cjk, I'm definitely looking to get up to the Noreast and I'd heard Newbury Comics was pretty massive. I'm actually looking to sell off a portion of my collection (I have about 4000)...I have Vinnie Moore on tap myself and so how is the Chickenfoot? Nice alliance of players, but I'm skeptical

cjk_44 said...

Ray, Vinnie Moore's latest is sort of a mix of "The Maze" and "Meltdown" - basically the neo-classical thing muted with solid rock riffing. i think his time with UFO has really sharpened his songwriting skills.

Chickenfoot is not bad at all. it definitely takes a few spins to absorb. as a *supergroup* it has its limitations, but the debut is a fairly strong record from top to bottom. the performances are a bit derivative in places, but well played.

make sure you go to the Newbury Comics in Norwood, MA - it's sounds like it is good place to sell used stuff.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Good, I'm looking forward to Vinny's solo stuff and the UFO album just hit me yesterday for review at About.com, sounds like both will be fun listens. Chickenfoot I'll wait on before scrambling to get but it's been awhile since a "supergroup" has surfaced in the mainstream, Velvet Revolver and the Cornell-Rage union