The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 6/3/09

Seriously, it's Wednesday?

How goes with y'all out there? Hope The Metal Minute is keeping everyone entertained out there; I always aim to please when I'm on a roll! Be ready for more "stuff" like Chuck Barris of the old Gong Show would put it, with upcoming reviews of new releases by Tim "Ripper" Owens, Pelican, Doro, Nihilitia and the vinyl release of the new Sunn O))) album, Monoliths & Dimensions. I've listened to three sides so far and holy shite, is this one superfreakout evil record...

Upcoming changes in my life as I gave notice at my current job in preparation of a new one. I'm ecstatic to be able to pull this off in the type of market we're in these days, needless to say. It was done in the interest of my family so hopefully this new post will be "the one," shall we say...

Still in awe from the Isis/Pelican show the other night; if they hit your town, do not miss it! With Tombs opening in impressive fashion, chalk this tour up as priority one!

As such, I've been spinning a lot of Pelican including their upcoming EP Ephemeral as well as that Nihilitia album which was the perfect vibe coming home from the show on Sunday night. Brian Setzer is the top flight runner of the week, however, with his Sun Records tribute, Rockabilly Riot Vol. 1. My folks had the chance to visit Graceland and Sun Records recently (I am way envious), so out this fantastic covers album came off the shelf and stuck with me throughout the week. Get rhythm, kiddos...

I hope to bury myself in Joel McElver's Cliff Burton book for future review here at The Metal Minute, while I've managed to carve out a little tube time with the Stanley Cup finals, which is getting real good now, plus I had a mini horror marathon featuring Gothkill, 30 Days of Night, Hostel and Pulse, not to mention The Great Kat's Beethoven's Guitar Shred DVD and half of From the Underground, a cool indie rock DVD featuring Sonic Youth, Radiohead, The White Stripes, Beck and others in a loose-fitting live environment. Well-recommended...

K, storm's a-brewing and my head's a stewing...



Brian Setzer - Rockabilly Riot Vol. 1: A Tribute to Sun Records
Pelican - Ephemeral
Pelican - Austrailasia
Pelican - The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw
Pelican - City of Echoes
Doro - Fear No Evil
iwrestledabearonce - It's All Happening
Crescent Shield - The Stars of Never Seen
Sunn O))) - Monoliths and Dimensions
Drop Dead, Gorgeous - The Hot 'n Heavy
Bob Dylan - Love and Theft
Bob Dylan - Modern Times
Bob Dylan - Together Through Life
Bob Dylan - Hard Rain
Steely Dan - A Decade of Steely Dan
Dolly Parton - Backwoods Barbie Collector's Edition
Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry 25th Anniversary Edition
Pestilence - Resurrection Macabre
Jimi Hendrix & The Experience - Axis: Bold as Love
Heavy Metal movie soundtrack
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Jon Mikl Thor - Sign of the V
Anvil - Strength of Steel
Demented Are Go - Hellbilly Storm

15 comments:

The Klepto said...

Alabama Thunderpussy - Rise Again
The Atomic Bitchwax - TAB 4
Baroness - The Red Album
Ben Folds Five - Ben Folds Five
Blind Dog - Captain Dog Rides Again
Blind Dog - Last Adventures Of Captain Dog
The Doors - The Doors
Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Flogging Molly - Alive Behind The Green Door
Hermano - ...Only A Suggestion
Monster Magnet - 4-Way Diablo
Nocturnal Rites - New World Messiah
Robot Lords of Tokyo - Robot Lords of Tokyo
Robot Lords of Tokyo - Whiskey, Blood & Napalm
Traveling Wilburys - Traveling Wilburys Vol. 3

bob_vinyl said...

Rachel Taylor Brown - Susan Storm's Ugly Sister and Other Saints and Superheroes
Return to Forever - No Mystery
The Police - Outlandos D'Amour
Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds
Operation Ivy - Energy
Avail - Dixie
Avail - Over the James
Gaslight Anthem - Senor and the Queen (on 10" rather than double 7", which is really the same, but I just bought the 10" version too)
more dance 12 inches (which I've now had enough of)
New York Dolls - Because I Sez So

Ian Aiken said...

Since I didn't post last week here's my list for last week and this week.

1. BLOODBATH (of course)- Breeding Death, Resurrection Through Carnage
2. OZZY OSBOURNE - Diary of a Madman
3. RUSH - Roll the Bones, A show of Hands
4. INFESTDEAD - Hellfuck, JesuSatan
5. KATATONIA - Tonight's Decision
6. AMORPHIS - Elegy
7. FRANK ZAPPA - Joe's Garage, Hot Rats
8. A.B.W.H. - S/T
9. THE EVERDAWN - Poems Burn the Past
10. S.Y.L. - Alien
11. CELTIC FROST - Into the Pandemonium
12. IMMOLATION - Unholy Cult
13. CATHEDRAL - Supernatural Birth Machine.
14. MERCYFUL FATE - Don't Break the Oath, Into the Unknown
15. BILL NELSON - A Catalogue of Obsessions
16. DEF LEPPARD - High 'n' Dry
17. GOD DETHRONED - Passiondale
18. RISE - Divine Aeternum
19. CYNIC - Traced In Air
20. METALLICA - Kill'em All, Ride the Lightning
21. FOO FIGHTERS - There Is Nothing Left to Lose
22. Mixes of my new cd.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Klepto, great mix, heavy on the sludge, dig it

Bob, thanks for posting Avail, I forgot we saw them so now I can them to the list, though the year might be off when I run that

Ian, how goes on your new project? Killer double list; I just pulled off Kill 'em All as I'm ready McElver's book. I am beginning to think Burton was the glue on those original three considering the radical differences thereafter...a large part of them went to the afterlife, proverbially and literally

bob_vinyl said...

Who did we see Avail with? I was thinking it was Ann Berretta, but Now I'm thinking it was with the Draft. Do you remember?

cjk_44 said...

Isis – Wavering Radiant
Pig Destroyer – Phantom Limb
The Haunted – Versus
Nachtmystium – Assassins: Black Meddle
O.S.I. – Office of Strategic Influence
Sepultura – Revolusongs
Arch Enemy – Stigmata
Pink Floyd – The Final Cut
Blackfield – Blackfield II
Stevie Ray Vaughan – The Sky Is Crying
Steely Dan – The Royal Scam
Johnny Cash – American V: A Hundred Highways

This week’s reading list: “Droidmaker: George Lucas and the Digital Revolution” by Michael Rubin

Watching: “Up” in 3-D, Monty Python – Season One, Episodes 4 – 6

Ian Aiken said...

Ray,
the new cd sound better than I thought it would. Mixing is a pain in the ass though. I can't wait until it's all done and mastered.
I think that Cliff was a major influence in the band then. I think the three records he was on are still their best three.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Bob, it was The Draft, because I remember you getting their merch after show.

cjk, I always anticipate your list each week, and I'm so envious you devour books as quickly as you do...I want my time to scale back so I can get through the massive library of unread books I have...you'd think I was a true literati with all the books I possess

Ian, I'm sure the final output will be cool since you a nice job (considering it was singlehanded) on the first one...I'm just about convinced Cliff gave Metallica all the magic they had on those three...not to take away from their musicianship on after, but no Metallica album since Master has had that special aura and I believe Cliff deserves the credit on bass and for his songwriting contributions

Metal Mark said...

Exilia-My own army
Oscape-The growing ground
The Seven Gates-Angel of suffering
Innocent Rosie-Bad Habit Romance
UFO-several
The Exploited-several
Subhumans-several
Electric Wizard-several
Boneshaker-Union
Twisted Sister-Stay Hungry anniversary edition
Schoolhouse Rock
Sacred Oath-s/t
Metal Church-s/t
Whiplash-Power and pain/Ticket to mayhem

reading-children's books for work

watching-Logan's Run, Star Trek season two and Speed Racer the complete series

DPTH International said...

Folkodia
Folkearth
Minhryiath
Warbringer - Waking into Nightmare
Alestorm - Black Sails at Midnight
Dragonland - catalogue
Dragonheart - Vengeance In Black
Megadeth - Peace Sells, Rust In Peace.
Deceased - various
October 31

JP said...

Helstar: Burning Star, Remants Of War
Morrissey: Years Of Refusal
Code: Resplendent Grotesque
Tyrann: Shadows Of Leng
Stone Axe: s/t
Dark Castle Spirited Migration
Amorphis: Skyforger
Komgh: Shadows Of The Sleepless
PJ Harvey & John Parrish: A Man A Woman Walked By
Celtic Frost: Morbid Tales, To Mega Therion, Monotheist
Disbelief: Protected Hell
Judas Priest: Stained Class
ZZ Top: Rhythmeen

cjk_44 said...

Ray, your diverse listening habits have inspired me to go through my catalog and re-absorb the variety of bands/genres that have interested me over the years.

trust me when i say that it takes special effort at this point in my life to carve out time for books. i've enjoyed revisiting the past musical and otherwise through biographies and filling in the gaps of my knowledge.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

cjk, that flatters me big-time bro...I preach diversity in music because there is so much going on out there outside of our favorite genre and you only have one life to drink it all, so get it now, I say

Mark, nice list and I was watching Logan's Run a few months ago and thought it was fairly revolutionary for its time...a better movie than it's given credit for

JP, I'm always digging your lists as well...how is the new Amorphis? I haven't had the time to go pull it off the NB site...is it like the video I posted here?

Dpth, do I detect a theme, brother? :)

JP said...

The new Amorphis is really melodic, maybe a bit too much so at times, and leans a bit towards prog. Think Am Universum, without the sax?

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

That's the direction I predicted they were heading towards particularly after posting their video here...I don't think I'd want to see them back in the days of Isthmus, but Elegy wouldn't be so bad. They're a good band, just perhaps very indecisive on what they want to be.