The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Whattya Listenin' to Wedensday - 7/22/09

Flying a week at a time, here we are at Wednesday yet again. Hope my readership is all doing well out there. The hits are strong as ever here at The Metal Minute, so bless you all for your ever-continuing support.

Summer's here as is the red hot touring cycle and unfortunately being a daddy means I've lost out on many show opportunities, two just this past weekend, but let me tell you something; building a swingset together with your mate and seeing the look of joy on a child's face for all the aggravation and sacrifice to make it happen... Well, I may be in a concert slump but it's damn well worth it. As I've been invited to cover many shows in the near future, let's hope things open up so I can get out to 'em.

Been making a concentrated effort to catch up on sleep since the physical toll of parenting and working outside every weekend has nailed me to the sheets, but I remain optimistic about the future even when things look bleak or at least stressful. You gotta maintain, you know?

Spin-wise, I just reviewed Bone Gnawer's wild and bloody Feast of Flesh for About.com and it stayed in the player a good bit since it's louder than hell and at times hilarious in roasting zombie and cannibal movies. That always gets my attention quickly. I just nabbed Voivod's Infini and though I have a long list of albums up for review here at The Metal Minute, Voivod has been one of my close-to-the-heart metal bands for eternity, so expect a squeeze-in review for them and perhaps the new Ahab will likewise sneak in. I have to mention bringing out Metallica's Black Album for the purpose of one, hearing how it stands up to my ears after years of non-play, and two, to hear how much recording presence Jason Newsted gets since he's all over Infini like a champ. My findings...well, stay tuned.

Tube-wise, still not much other than Dallas season 11, a couple episodes of VH-1 Classic's Seven Ages of Rock series and I reviewed this movie about Alan Freed, the coiner of the term "rock 'n roll" over at DVD Review.com. Seriously, I think I might've been watching the inside of my eyes more than anything else lately...




Bone Gnawer - Feast of Flesh
Voivod - Infini
Lillian Axe - Sad Day On Planet Earth
Killswitch Engage - s/t 2009
Valkyrja - The Invocation of Demise
Sweet - Desolation Boulevard
Metallica - The Black Album
AC/DC - High Voltage
Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
Tyr - Ragnarok
Leaves' Eyes - My Destiny EP

4 comments:

Metal Mark said...

Doro-Fear no evil
Snail-Blood
Praying Mantis-Sanctuary
Iron Maiden-several
Lizzy Borden-several
Admiral Browning-Magic Elixar
Surfaris-Best of
Ted Nugent-several
Dokken-From Conception:Live 1981
Scorpions-several
The Sentinals-Big Surf/Surfer Girl
Bible of the devil-Freedom metal

DPTH International said...

Memory Garden - Mirage
Suicidal Tendencies - Lights,Camera
3rd and the Mortal - various
Accept - Breaker
Loreena McKennitt-The Visit
Place Of Skulls - With Vision
Feinstein - Third Wish
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder-Living for death, destroying the rest
Furious Barking-theory of diversity
Testament - Souls of Black
Cybergrind - transcend
Screams Of Chaos - genetic war
Nodes Of Ranvier - Defined By Struggle

dschalek said...

That Bone Gnawer album kicks ass.

cjk_44 said...

O.S.I. – Blood
Devin Townsend Project – Ki
Anekdoten – Chapters
Clutch – Strange Cousins from the West
Iron Maiden – Flight 666: Official Soundtrack, Fear of the Dark
Dream Theater – Dark Clouds & Silver Linings
The Gathering – Accessories: Rarities & B-Sides
Souls At Zero – Six*T*Six
Porcupine Tree - Metanoia
Don Caballero – World Class Listening Problem
A Life Once Lost – A Great Artist
Amorphis – Tales from the Thousand Lakes, Tuonela
Barren Earth (Finland) – via myspace
Craig Chaquico – Four Corners

This week’s reading list: “The Ghost Writer” by Philip Roth

Watching: “Burn After Reading”