The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Whattya Listenin' to Wedneday - 7/15/09

From the crypt I rise, or so it feels, even with a concentrated effort on getting more sleep than I used to in the past. Being a parent of over a year now and recently changing day jobs I can honestly say the latter move has presented more manageability, while the former may be even more hustle and go despite how the kid mercifully sleeps through the nights.

On the other hand, it's been one project after another related to that boy as we're currently in the middle of building him a swingset, which was halted this past weekend due to rain. The running joke around here is if little man ever dares asks "What've you done for me lately?" it's not gonna be purty... Like the Discharge song goes, never again will I voluntarily go through this since this one's all the work we can handle and still have a shot at making other avenues of our lives happen.

So it continues here at The Metal Minute and so it continues as I work on my second novel, which is really starting to blossom after nine chapters. Last night I was out reporting on a local government meeting and taking another step closer to the lifestyle I was born to lead. Look out world, Van Horn's on the move!

Music-wise, I spun the crap out of the new Killswitch Engage album all day yesterday, a very pleasant surprise as it has muscle, testosterone and a pleasingly stripped cadence. No wonder it struck so high on Billboard. Be on the lookout in the immediate future for a review on the self-titled Killswitch album.

Been also spinning The Fixx and a homemade double-disc of tunes related to my novel project to stay focused, plus that new Arkaea album is pretty booming stuff. Check out my review at About.com Heavy Metal.

Firing up the caffeine, packing my gear including the little one for another Wednesday as part of the working class, keeping my mini notebook handy for bursts of inspiration and daydreaming of both Manhattan and The Outer Banks to the tune of Parhelia, a lighter Irish version of Pelican, and whom you can read about in the upcoming days here at The Metal Minute. As always, thank you for your valuable support!



Killswitch Engage - s/t
The Fixx - Reach the Beach
Arkaea - Years in the Darkness
Lush - Spooky
Ex Deo - Romulus
Axel Rudi Pell - Best of Anniversary Edition
Destroyer 666 - Defiance
All That Remains - Overcome
George Michael - Patience
Parhelia - Shifting Sands
Delain - April Rain

4 comments:

Metal Mark said...

Wretched-The exodus of autonomy
Uzi-Madhouse
Artillery-When death comes
The Hell Candidates-Bring to war
Iron Maiden-Seventh son of a seventh son
Battlefields-Threshholds of imbalance
Lizzy Borden-Deal with the devil
Whiplash-Power and pain
Cirith Ungol-Frost and fire

DPTH International said...

I was on vacation last week. A road trip with my Dad and brother, exploring the maritime provinces here in Canada. It was my Dad's van so he got most dibs on the stereo. Lots of Country.

George Jones - greatest hits
Kris Kristofferson - greatest hits
Johnny Horton - Greattest hits
Willy Nelson - greatest hits

I threw on some Hayseed Dixie to keep the country theme, blue grass covers of AC/DC, Kiss, and Aerosmith as well as other classic rock anthems.

I checked out the Ex Deo - Romulus album, based on your review. It's pretty cool.

Amorphis - Skyforger
Artillery- When Death Comes

cjk_44 said...

Clutch – Strange Cousins from the West
Metallica – Death Magnetic
Entombed – To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth
Samael – Eternal
King Crimson – Discipline
Borknagar – Origin
Joe Satriani – Super Collosal
Led Zeppelin – III
Jeff Kollman – Into the Unknown
Saxon – Lionheart
Prince – LotusFlow3r
Steve Earle – I Feel Alright
Buddy Guy & Junior Wells – Last Time Around: Live at Legends

This week’s reading list: “Outliers” by Malcolm Gladwell, “Dynasty” by Tony Massarotti (yes, another Red Sox book.)

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Mark, have you seen the new(er) Lizzy video? It's the 2nd one from the latest album...you can probably hit it at YouTube

dpth, sounds ideal, my friend...one day I'll get into Canada...lots I want to see and do...I've made my peace with country for the most part (except today's modern junk)

cjk, I'm impressed with how quickly you absorb books...I only just finished James Patterson's Double Cross, which most people read in a day...ahh well...in times of less obligation I read Roses Are Red in two...I don't have the new Clutch yet but I'm sure it rips as always