The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 7/29/09

Hello, readers, as always I hope y'all are doing well outside of cyberspace.

As I prepare for an interview with KK Downing of Priest later this week, I'm giving pause to evaluate everything going on in my life which includes being a daddy to a child at a very demanding phase in his life as well as hungrily seeking time to work on my next novel which I'm pouring my soul and blood into.

I love this business and I love the bands and all the friends I've made acquaintance with in the industry. It's been an honor to accomplish what I have to this point, but I'm starting to collapse under the weight of juggling it all and frankly, seeking upward mobility as a rock journalist has been as much a struggle as people looking for regular employment. I'm more tired than I've ever been trying to keep my clients happy as well as my family, not to gripe. I do it all willingly. Kept in the context of working a full-time job to offset the lack of income from writing (though a great big cheers to my gigs who do compensate me, bless you), it's become more of a balancing act than ever. What do I hope to gain beyond the obvious? That's the big question.

I enjoyed hanging out with a large group of my graduating class this past Saturday, though we had to contend with the sad reality one of our own was killed in a helicopter crash in Maryland last week which made national news. It was a sobering exclamation point that life is indeterminate so you must make everything you can of it while you have the time on this earth to do so.

That being said, I am making decisions about my future which will affect all avenues including this site. Stay tuned for future updates. In the meantime, as my playlist will demonstrate, life has been on such a rapid pace there's been little time to dive into my promo stacks and keep on target. Voivod naturally got the most spinnage as is consistent with anything they've released; I hit them with full obsession.

We'll see how things go from here. As always, I thank you for your support.



Voivod - Infini
Parhelia - Shifting Sands
Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune
Eluveitie - Evocation 1: The Arcane Dominion
Kitchens of Distinction - Strange Free World
Curtis Mayfield - The Very Best of Curtis Mayfield
Knut - Terraformer

4 comments:

DPTH International said...

Voivod - Infini
Manowar - catalogue
Suicidal Tendencies - Lights, Camera, Revolution
Pegazus
Exodus - Impact is imminent
Hospital Of Death
Bill & Ted's bogus Journey soundtrack
Last Action Hero Soundtrack
Savatage - Sirens
Neverland
Skid Row - Slave to the Grind

cjk_44 said...

Devin Townsend Project – Ki
Clutch – Strange Cousins from the West
Novembers Doom – Into Night’s Requiem Eternal
Dysrhythmia – Psychic Maps
Atheist – Live at Wacken
Amorphis – Am Universum
Alice in Chains – Staley-era demos via YouTube
Indigo Girls – Posiedon & The Bitter Bug

This week’s reading list: none

Watching: Major League Baseball

Ray, I will have to check out Parhelia – you’ve been phenomenal in introducing me to great bands that I would otherwise only find out about too late.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

cjk, I'm flattered as hell to hear your compliments...by all means check out that band; real downtempo but quality stuff, and thanks to both you and DPTH for sounding off this week...nice diversity from you both

The Klepto said...

Not a complete list because I forgot to keep track. Some might bleed into last week

Abramis Brama - Nothing Changes
AC/DC - Back In Black
Black In The Mind - Black In The Mind
Dio - Angry Machines
Dio - Killing The Dragon
Dio - Lock Up The Wolves
Dio - Magica
Dio - Strange Highways
Dozer - In The Tail of A Comet
Hawkwind - Quark, Strangeness And Charm
Judas Priest - Defenders Of The Faith
Kyuss - ...And The Circus Leaves Town
Nanowar of Steel - Triumph Of True Metal Of Steel (Demo)
Opeth - Damnation
Pavlov's Dog - At The Sound of The Bell
Pavlov's Dog - End of The World (EP)
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
The Who - Tommy
Whole Wheat Bread - Hearts of Hoodlums
Whole Wheat Bread - Punk Life (EP)
Whole Wheat Bread - Minority Rules