The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 10/21/09




How's it hanging, droogies? Welcome to another midweek checkpoint session at your favorite drop-in, The Metal Minute!

Exciting stuff over on this side of cyberworld, most importantly being given the gift of sight, courtesy of a generous gift from my folks. Though I'm still in the sharpening phases, when you've spent 32 of your 39 years in glasses, seeing the world unshackled is one of the most exhilirating life experiences one can have. I've always been one to take time and examine the little details of our world around us, but it's twice the spirit of exploration under healed eyes, I assure you...

This week I had a nice sitdown with Ace Frehley, which is always fun getting to talk to an original member of Kiss. God bless Peter Criss as well, who I'm sure you've read managed to catch breast cancer in time and get it cut out. Take a lesson from Peter, guys; don't think yourself a pussy for squeezing your pecs for lumps. It could save your life.

I'm also pleased to announce I'll be joining the Fangoria.com team in their Musick department, so a big-time thank you to that esteemed crew for the opportunity...

Because I took the weekend out to attend to my eyes, the listening sessions were limited, so my playlist this week is very slack. Doesn't help I got stuck on the new Pelican album for much of the week, either, ha!

More insanity prevails upcoming with dear friends from out-of-town crashing with us and our boy's baptism this weekend. Stay tuned for upcoming goodies and plenty of Halloween Hoardefest as we get into the final ten days of the month.

Unlocking the wolves over here, I am yours as always at The Metal Minute...



Pelican - What We All Come to Need
Naam - s/t
Living Colour - The Chair in the Doorway
Ace Frehley - Anomaly
Depeche Mode - Sounds of the Universe
Anvil - Past & Present: Live in Concert
Fireball Ministry - The Second Great Coming
Black Cobra - Chronomega

10 comments:

bob_vinyl said...

The Beatles - White Album (twice)
The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
Elin Palmer - Postcard
Victor! Fix the Sun - Person Place or Thing
Chad Smith's Bombastic Meatbats - Meet the Meatbats
Blue Cheer Rocks Europe DVD
Jethro Tull - Live at Madison Square Garden 1978 DVD
Balance and Composure - Only Boundaries
Admiral Browning - Magic Elixir
Mott the Hoople - Live at Hammersmith Apollo 2009
Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) - What It Takes to Move Forward

DPTH International said...

Infectious Grooves-discography
Inked In Blood-Lay waste the poets
Nodes Of Ranvier-the years to come
Sorrowstorm-Collected Works
Circle II Circle-Delusions of grandeur
Suicidal Tendencies-Freedumb, free your soul... & How will I Laugh...

cjk_44 said...

Baroness – Blue Record
Paradise Lost – Faith Divides Us … Death Unites Us
Alice in Chains – Black Gives Way to Blue
Swallow the Sun – These Woods Breathe Evil (single)
Kylesa – Static Tensions
Red Harvest – Cold Dark Matter
The Faceless – Planetary Duality
Beyond the Embrace – Insect Song
Primal Fear – Seventh Seal
Slayer – The Sickness Within (live bootleg)
Mindgrinder – MindTech
Bruce Dickinson – Skunkworks
Conor Oberst – s/t
B.B. King – Greatest Hits Live: King Biscuit Flower Hour

Reading: “The Rocket that Fell to Earth: Roger Clemens and the Rage for Baseball Immortality” by Jeff Pearlman

Watching: Vinnie Moore live performances on YouTube

Can’t wait to hear the new Pelican! Congrats on the corrected vision!

The Klepto said...

Another hefty week, I think this is a personal best:

3 - Revisions
AC/DC - Back In Black
Airbourne - Runnin' Wild
Baroness - Red Album
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Alabama Thunderpussy - Constellation
Cream - Disraeli Gears
Cream - Fresh Cream
Cream - Goodbye
Cream - Wheels Of Fire
Deep Purple - Machine Head
Diablo Swing Orchestra - Sing Along Songs For The Damned And Delirious
Disturbed - Believe
Disturbed - Indestructible
Disturbed - The Sickness
Disturbed - Ten Thousand Fists
Dream Theater - Dark Side of The Moon (Official Bootleg)
Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory
The Honeydrippers - The Honeydrippers: Volume One (EP)
The Jeff Beck Group - Truth
Metallics - Metallica (The Black Album)
Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears
Pink Floyd - The Wall (2 Discs)
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Styx - Bing Bang Theory
Styx - Crystal Ball
Styx - The Serpent Is Rising
Styx - Styx
Styx - Styx II
System of A Down - Toxicity
Wolfmother - Cosmic Egg

I loved the new 3 album, great if you like progressive rock/metal (more of a Coheed and Cambria sound, just not as weird)
I was dissapointed with the new Wolfmother, I was expecting so much more

Tommyboy said...

Just came home from the Mastodon show. It was awesome.
Been listening to:
Mastodon-Blood MTN., Leviathan, Crack the Skye
Sleep-Holy Mountain
High on Fire-Blessed Black Wings
Melvins-Chicken Switch
The Sword-Age of Winters
EyeHateGod-Dopesick

Peter said...

I also had LASIK surgery this year. Quite the investment and quite the results! For the first month following the procedure, I found myself reaching for my glasses every morning. That habit has since been broken. Congrats on your new look. You'll get used to it.

Euroboys: Getting Out of Nowhere
Socrates Drank the Conium: On the Wings
Ghost: Hypnotic Underworld
William Sheller: Lux Aeterna
Lyle Lovett: Natural Forces

Metal Mark said...

Lizzy borden-several
On her majestys secret service soundtrack
Van Halen-Fair Warning
The best of Bond
Arrow-The lost soldier
DOA-several
Witch-The hex is on
M-16
Skaterock volume 1
Wino-Punctuated Equilibrium
Pentagram-Show 'em how
Dusted Angel-The thorn

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Bob, only twice for The White Album? You slacker! Is that THE Chad Smith?

Dpth, I'm one of the few defenders of How Will I Laugh even though I prefer the original album... I mean "Surf and Slam?" Come on, what's there not to like?

cjk, thanks, man...you'll like Pelican; it's reaching back slightly towards the old days though still with a downtempo groove overall

Klepto, I bow, my friend, what a list!!! I have that 3 album coming for review at About.com...great band, GREAT interview...Eppard's extremely nice...he even came back to finish our interview after their set...good people


Tommyboy, howdy! Nice 'n sludgy list! I've got that Melvins album for review too...and I thought Pigface was weird! Glad you enjoyed Mastodon...only saw them once but they were great...Cult of Luna opened, so it was cool overall

Peter, thanks, man. I've only reached for the glasses a few times and at night I'm getting all starbursts from electric lighting, but overall, this is a profound experience

Mark, is that Skaterock older or newer?

Metal Mark said...

Ray-It's a new compilation although not all of the songs on it are new, but many are.

bob_vinyl said...

It is THE Chad Smith. I reviewed it if you're interested.