The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 10/7/09

Hola, compadres...

As always, here's hoping life is going good for all of my readers. Love you all, even the hecklers.

Daddyhood keeps me on the run and the general schism continues to grind in a preventive manner so I get slowed down from a steady diet of posting, but your continued support of The Metal Minute--which has not dwindled one iota looking over the recent hit figures from last month--keeps me invigorated. I must prioritize between my obligations and some very hot leads, which inflates the production slowdown, but well know I'll be keeping y'all busy here in the upcoming days.

Halloween Hoardefest will resume, of course, and as I get my agenda board (yes, I really have one) cleared, be looking for more metal fun and frivolity in the immediate future. At the moment, I've posted motivation notes all around the house to keep me focused. I have a vivid picture of the future. Like Prince sings, "I've seen the future and it will be...I've seen the future and it works..."

Because of the mad dog pace of last week, my playlist is obscenely short, but those are the breaks. I was watching the MTV channels while working in the man cave this past weekend and I do have to say even though Pink is hardly metal, I was very impressed by her trapeze performance at this year's MTV Video Awards. Even Lady Ga Ga, who is a bit robotic in her gesticulations managed to get my attention with her blood smearing at the same event. Of course, such antics inspired me to get the latest Novembers Doom album fired up...

A hefty word of praise for the new Ancestors album Of Sound Mind, holy smokes. Grab that sucker, as it just dropped yesterday. Gimme some Floyd, gimme some Hawkwind, gimme some King Crimson, gimme some Neurosis, all in one organ-drenched stew, ahhhhh... My review of the album should be running this week at About.com Heavy Metal.

K, time to bounce. Cheers, gang...



Melvins - Chicken Switch
Ace Frehley - Anomaly
The Boo Radleys - Giant Steps
Kitchens of Distinction - Strange Free World
Novembers Doom - Into Night's Requiem Infernal
Ozzy Osbourne - No Rest for the Wicked
Ancestors - Of Sound Mind
Powerman 5000 - Somewhere On the Other Side of Nowhere
Kurtis Blow Presents The History of Rap Vol. 2

12 comments:

Metal Mark said...

Lizzy Borden-several
WASP-S/T
G-n-R-several
UZI-Madhouse
Overkill-Feel the fire
GBH-A fridge too far
The Exploited-Punks not dead

bob_vinyl said...

Charles Mingus - Pithecanthropus Erectus
Coleman Hawkins - Hollywood Stampede
New Model Army - The Ghost of Cain
Billy Bragg - Life's a Riot with Spy vs Spy
Grant Hart - Hot Wax
Balance and Composure - Only Boundaries
Sleeping Giant - Al's Moustache
INXS - Shabooh Shoobah
Love - Out Here
The Pretenders - Get Close
Tokyo Blade - Midnight Rendevous

Ian Aiken said...

Been away for a couple of weeks......

1. PORCUPINE TREE - The Incident
2. SINISTER - Afterburner
3. SCOTT MOSHER - Virtuality
4. CATHEDRAL - The Ethereal Mirror
5. SLAYER - South of Heaven
6. PINK FLOYD - Animals
7. YES - Relayer
8. BLOODBATH - The Fathomless Mastery
9. RAZOR - Violent Restitution
10. SACRIFICE - Soliders of Misfortune
11. STEVE HOWE - Turbulence
12. HATE - Morphosis

countshockula said...

silly Ray,
you can't actually LISTEN to "chicken switch"!

Baroness-Blue
Gates of slumber-blood and thunder
Om-god is good
Dethklok-dethalbum II
Devo-duty now for the future
Shadows fall-retribution
Wargasm-why play around
ok, fine, Melvins-Chicken Switch

cjk_44 said...

Alice in Chains – Black Gives Way to Blue
Black Bonzo – Guillotine Drama
Devin Townsend Project – Ki
Porcupine Tree – The Incident
Candiria – Surrealistic Madness
The Black Dahlia Murder – Deflorate
The Bakerton Group – s/t
Dark Tranquillity – The Gallery
Katatonia – Forsaker (single)
Buddy Guy – Stone Crazy!
Widespread Panic – ‘Til the Medicine Takes
T-Bone Walker – The Complete Imperial Recordings, 1950 – 1954
The Derek Trucks Band – Already Free

Reading: “The White Book” by Ken Mansfield

Watching: MLB playoffs

can’t wait to hear Baroness’ “Blue”

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Count, you made me laugh. It's a freakin' weird slab, even by Pigface standards.

Bob, I've always meant to replace my dead cassette of Shabooh...pretty decent album

Mark, did you get an email about new Lizzy management which I hope means more touring? Halloween 2007 with Lizzy remains one of the best Halloweens I've ever spent

Hey, Ian, glad to see you, bud...how's the recording coming? I just got the advance of the new Slayer today...can't wait to spin


cjk, I always salute your courage to play diverse music, considering you could probably get shot for it around here, judging by past anon comments...what are your impressions of the new Black Dahlia Murder? I've heard differing things, but haven't yet downloaded and played it...I loved their previous three

DPTH International said...

Epica - The Classical Conspiracy
Eluveitie-Ven,Spirit
Nox Arcana-Blackthorn Asylum,
Blood Of Angels, Blood of the Dragon

Gates Of Slumber-Blood & Thunder
Suicidal Tendencies-Suicidal For Life, Art Of Rebellion
Thousand Foot Krutch-Welcome To the Masquerade.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Holy hell, I forgot I own Nox Arcana, dpth...if I remember to visit it, I certainly will

DPTH International said...

I only stumbled onto Nox Arcana just recently and can't remember how.

*I technically don't own any at this point as I was just checking them out, but I plan on ordering some CD's soon. They have a lot.

The Klepto said...

A little late but here it is

Austrian Death Machine - Double Brutal (2 Disc)
Beaver - 13eaver
Blind Dog - Captain Dog Logs Out
Blind Dog - Captain Dog Rides Again
Blind Dog - Last Adventures Of Captain Dog
Blink 182 - They Came to Conquer... Uranus (EP
Five Horse Johnson - Fat Black Pussy Cat

This week has been alot of Kiss

cjk_44 said...

Ray, at the risk of repeating myself it can only be said that variety is a good thing. folks that disagree can "fire away" if it makes them feel better.

the new TBDM is solid. TBDM raised their game with "Nocturnal" a few years back and "Deflorate" seems on par with that given the few chances i've had to listen to it so far.

Ian Aiken said...

Ray,
I'm done with the recording and mixing. I'm just waiting for some cash to get it mastered and manufactured. I can send you a copy of the unmastered cd now for you to check it out if you want.