The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Friday, December 04, 2009

The Metal Minute's 25 Immaculate Receptions (and Honor Roll) for 2009

A little early on this, sure, but it's already that time in the industry where metal journalists are asked in advance for their year-end picks. Since I was already in process for my top 20 at About.com Heavy Metal, I went ahead and rounded out my 25 Immaculate Receptions, plus a generously-filled Honor Roll of albums that didn't make the cut yet most definitely deserve mention.

The 25 Immaculate Receptions of 2009




1. MastodonCrack the Skye
2. IsisWavering Radiant
3. Between the Buried and MeThe Great Misdirect
4. KylesaStatic Tensions
5. CandlemassDeath Magic Doom
6. ChthonicMirror of Retribution
7. MegadethEndgame
8. SepulturaA-Lex
9. ZombiSpirit Animal
10. VoivodInfini
11. Slough FegApe Uprising!
12. PelicanWhat We All Come to Need
13. SlayerWorld Painted Blood
14. Brown JenkinsDeath Obsessed
15. SkyfireEsoteric
16. Sunn O)))Monoliths and Dimensions
17. The Black Dahlia MurderDeflorate
18. HacrideLazarus
19. Shadows FallRetribution
20. TyrBy the Light of the Northern Star
21. Mantic Ritual - The Executioner
22. My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire
23. Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know
24. Wolves in the Throne Room - Black Cascade
25. Ahab - The Divinity of Oceans


Honor Roll of 2009:

Lamb of God - Wrath
Arise - The Reckoning
Vader - Necropolis
Behemoth - Evangelion
Ancestors - Of Sound Mind
Leeches of Lore - s/t
Nocturnal Fear - Metal of Honor
Dream Theater - Black Clouds and Silver Linings
Leaves' Eyes - Njord
Static-X - Cult of Static
God Dethroned - Passiondale
Job for a Cowboy - Ruination
Living Colour - The Chair in the Doorway
Ace Frehley - Anomaly
Warbringer - Waking Into Nightmares
Mudvayne - s/t
Novembers Doom - Into Night's Requiem Eternal
Bone Gnawer - Feast of Flesh
Assjack - s/t
Luna Mortis - The Absence
Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague
Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest
Shrinebuilder - s/t
Wino - Punctuated Equilibrium
Lillian Axe - Sad Day On Planet Earth
W.A.S.P. - Babylon
Killswitch Engage - s/t
UFO - The Visitor
Powerman 5000 - Somewhere On the Other Side of Nowhere
Nihilitia - Nihilist Militia
The 11th Hour - Burden of Grief
The Amenta - Non
Psyopus - Odd Senses
Gollum - The Core
Conspiracy - Concordat
DYSE - Lieder sind Bruder der Revolution

2 comments:

Metal Mark said...

I'll be doing mine as a top 25 countdown the week of the 13th. I will say that surprisingly we have the same number one again. Crack the skye wasn't what I was expecting or even what I was hoping for, but it's great nonetheless.

You obviously didn't get to hear Admiral Browning's Magic Elixar and you really need to hear it.

I am surprised at two on your list. The first is Mantic Ritual. I didn't get to hear it, but most reviews I read on it were average or below. The other is Heaven and hell which was above average, but certainly disappointing.

I have that Luna Mortis disc, but have never gotten around to hearing it. Guess I should play it. I almost forgot about Gollum. I heard it and liked it, but I guess it was so early in the year that I almost forgot about it being in 2009.

Anonymous said...

Rather interesting site you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to them. BTW, why don't you change design :).