The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 12/2/09

Cheers 'n yabbas, everyone. Anyone see where the past week went, Jesus? Four days through the holiday stretch on the go and here we are, the following Wednesday already. Hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving and didn't lose any limbs during the Black Friday stampede. Ever since I stood in a freezing line at a Wal Mart at 4:30 a.m. about 7 or 8 years ago to get a DVD player and saw a bunch of cretins jump out of their cars before opening time, run behind the store and emerge with their hidden carts to try and bulldoze their way past the line, I've lost my taste for the whole Black Friday phenomenon. I'm always up for a good sale, but you know, after buying the boy some new shoes in a buy-one-get-one-free special the following Saturday, screw it. The deals are still there, you've just gotta be patient. Of course, so many people now are simply sitting in their jammies and clicking away for holiday shopping it's really changing the dynamic of consumerism.

Besides, now that this fucked-up tech society is already trying to squeeze DVD into oblivion by forcing people into Blu Ray and of course, the necessary hi-def t.v. and associated accoutrements, I doubt I'll ever stand in the cold again on Black Friday, not unless they're open already. The corporate evil has bankrupted America; no wonder we all hit a crash; who the fuck can keep their credit cards from maxing when the Tech Lords dictate impulse buying and triggering the "keep up" ethos? Second mortgages emerge to counter those purchases and the vicious cycle starts again soon thereafter. You're being exploited, America! Wake the fuck up!

Then again, I do have a kid now, so my chump ass might be forced back into the death trap, assuming I ever climb out of the one I'm in already.

K, enough of that.

Because this was a high-energy kind of week wonderfully spent amongst family and Christmas decoration fiestas, the playlist is a big shy. Of course, you can find my review of the new Mudvayne album over at Fangoria.com along with my look at the reissue of King Diamond's Voodoo. At About.com Heavy Metal this week, I gave high praise to the new Brown Jenkins album, Death Obsessed. This one's pretty amazing. I've always stuck to my guns that alternative rock and "shoegazer" bands have had a direct influence upon today's black metal, and Death Obsessed is heaped with those vibes along with Burzum and Bathory. I'm pleased to report this morning that Brown Jenkins mastermind Umesh Amtey dropped me a very cool line about the review and confirmed what I was hearing. A well-recommended album...

Production was sluggish here for the obvious reasons, however, the goodies are coming including the Age of Evil Take 5 interview, the Death Angel DVD review and album reviews including the latest from Black Dahlia Murder (yeah, I'm late, sorry)and more.

Now comes the time of year where metal journalists are being prodded for their year-end lists. I have an album of the year winner in mind, though I wish that incredible Gonin Ish album had been released this year. I will soon be jotting down categories and such for The Metal Minute's 2009 Up to the Minute Awards, so be ready for that little gala later in the month.

Until...thank you as always.



Brown Jenkins - Death Obsession
Mudvayne - s/t
King Diamond - Voodoo
Bruce Kulick - BK3
The Cure - 4:13 Dream
Voivod - Angel Rat
System of a Down - Mesmerize
System of a Down - Hypnotize
Elis - Catharsis
Saturday Night Fever soundtrack

10 comments:

Metal Mark said...

Listening...
Strike Twice-s/t
Witchmaster-Trucizna
DOA-Kings of punk, hockey and beer
WASP-Babylon
Wolfmother-Cosmic egg
Admiral Browning-Magic Elixar
Dusted Angel-The thorn
Slayer-World painted blood

Reading...
Books for class
Cookbooks

Watching...
Chips
Hellboy 2:The Golden Army
Star Trek
Dodgeball
MIB2

bob_vinyl said...

I'll come back and post my play list later, but in light of your anti-consumerism rant, check this out:

http://www.adventconspiracy.org/

Metal Mark said...

Actually I thought the hiding the shopping cart idea was brilliant. Although if you go to a 24 hour Wal-mart you can at least wait in lines inside rather that out in the cold.

bob_vinyl said...

Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) - What It Takes to Move Forward
WASP - Babylon
Ox - Burnout
Thin Lizzy - Are You Ready? DVD
Dead Weather - Horehound
Government Issue - Crash
Government Issue - You
Government Issue - s/t
Higher Giant - Al's Moustache
Mad Tea Party - Zombie Boogie

cjk_44 said...

Generally:
Any metal album released in 2009 (set to random)

Specifically:
Swallow the Sun – New Moon
While Heaven Wept – Vast Oceans Lachrymose
Sunn O))) – Monoliths & Dimensions
Wolves in the Throne Room – Black Cascade
The Gathering – The West Pole
Johnny Cash – American Recordings II: Unchained
Portishead – Dummy

Reading: “Haunted Heart: The Life and Times of Stephen King” by Lisa Rogak and “The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger” by Stephen King

Watching: “The House of Mirth”

Ray, I’m jealous – I can’t wait to hear the new Brown Jenkins.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Mark, yeah the cart hiding was brilliant, however, they were no match for the cops that year, who blocked them until the line, the sorry fuckers. :) How do you like the new WASP?

For that matter, Bob, do you like the new WASP? Minus the fact it has two cover tunes, it's same 'ol same 'ol with Blackie songwriting-wise and I dig it pretty good

cjk, that Brown Jenkins album is faboo...I know what you mean about sweeping through the remnants of 2009...I just created two stacks of albums...one from my shelf for pleasure sake, the other, a bunch from this year that I want to address before time's up

Metal Mark said...

That idea took some creativity for sure. Shame it didn't work.

I like the new WASP. It's kind of a blending of sounds from some of their better past albums like the Last Command, Headless Children and Unholy Terror.

DPTH International said...

Hey Ray. Nice consumerism rant! There is nothing I need that will get me to line up early or days in advance for. My brother did an overnight with a few friends for a charitable reason and he had a blast.

Anywho ... This week:
Metal Church - S/T
Sword-Sweet Dreams/Metalized
Damien-Stop the war/Every Dog Has its Day
Mithotyn- all 3 albums
Slechtvalk-At the dawn of War
Twin Obscenity-Bloodstone
Skylark-After The Storm/Belzebu/Divine Gates Part 3-The Last Gate
Ensiferum-From Afar
Ex Deo-Romulus
Blackguard-Profugus Mortis

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I hate to disagree with you, Mark, but I have no respect for cheaters and scumbag maneuvers like that, inventive as they might be. It shows a lack of personal integrity one is so desperate they would literally ram others with a shopping cart as these slobs were hell-bent on doing--evidenced by those who DID make it past the cops. But then I'll go on another needless rant, so...

Dpth, there was a certain charm in getting up early and scouting for concert tickets which I didn't do frequently, but they were somewhat fond memories, particularly the frightened looks of the department store employees to see us dirtbag metalheads tramping single file through the store to Ticketmaster at 8:00 a.m.

Metal Mark said...

"But then I'll go on another needless rant,"

Too late.