The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 1/6/10

Greetings and welcome to a new year, a new decade and new mode of positivity...

Your continued support during my brief layoff has been inspirational and though I've made some key decisions how to operate my writing life this year with my increased obligations, I am pleased to keep The Metal Minute afloat. Truly, it's due to each and every one of you taking your valuable time to return here as regularly as you do.

2010 is bringing a sense of optimism for many people around the world and I'm no less enthusiastic by the possibilities this year offers me on a personal level. I have a lot of my strategies in place and I'm eager to push everything to the max and make this a successful year.

During the break, I've been working as steadily as I can on my second novel and I managed to get a few reviews knocked out for Fangoria.com, i.e. the new Overkill, Ihsahn and Katatonia albums, so check 'em out if ya please.

Last night I had the sincere pleasure of spending considerable time on the phone with Full Metal Jackie in an interview for Fango. Conversing with this sister was like talking to one of my best buds in the day. Truly the lady knows this genre through every crevice and not only does her book Full Metal Jackie Certified (which you can read a review of here) take me back to the old days, the memories Jackie and I shared was already for me a metal moment to beat this year.

I'm already booked for four more upcoming interviews as 2010 literally launches from beneath my feet and as I await to hear how other potential opportunities pan out, I'll be pounding away on the novel, pieces for Fangoria and Dee Snider's House of Hair plus, of course, The Metal Minute.

Though it's been out a bit, the latest U.D.O. album just hit my mailbox, so let's consider a review of Dominator the next order of business here at the site, along with some other upcoming goodies.

Let's make this a mutually exciting and prosperous 2010...as the classic Priest song would invite, let's put ourselves in the proverbial hands so our voices can be heard, and together we'll take on all the world...



Katatonia - Night is the New Day
Ihsahn - After
U.D.O. - Dominator
Megadeth - Risk
Death - Human
Halloween III: Season of the Witch expanded soundtrack
ZZ Top - Afterburner
ZZ Top - Deguello
Nick Drake - Bryter Layter
Blue Oyster Cult - Fire of an Unknown Origin
Don Henley - American Pie
Berlin - Pleasure Victim
The Smiths - Strangeways Here We Come
Roberta Flack - The Very Best of Roberta Flack
Tori Amos - Abnormally Attracted to Sin

7 comments:

Metal Mark said...

U.D.O.-Dominator
Accept-Balls to the wall, Restless and wild, Breaker
Mean Streak-Metal Slave
Midnight Priest-Rainha Da Magia Negra (babelfish said this translates as "Queen of the black magic")
Dawnrider-Two
Monster Magnet-Dopes to Infinity
Rob Gee-Says...
Lucid Wake-demo
Fu Manchu-Start the machine

bob_vinyl said...

Buzzcocks - A Different Kind of Tension
Buzzcocks - Love Bites
Stiff Little Fingers - Inflammable Material
The Ruts - Live and Loud
* Loudness - The Birthday Eve
* AC/DC - If You Want Blood (for about 30 seconds or so which is when I couldn't take how crappy they are anymore)
Girls - Album (poseur, hipster crap that wants to be Elvis Costello, but I don't believe them)

That's about it. I've been bored with music lately.

* recorded for Mark, not for my own pleasure

cjk_44 said...

Ray, welcome back and Happy New Year!

Blut Aus Nord – Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars
Shadow Gallery – Digital Ghosts
Baroness – Blue Record
Animals as Leaders – s/t
Nightrage – Wearing A Martyr’s Crown
The Gathering – Nighttime Birds (2009 reissue)
Sepultura – Against
Jerry Cantrell – Boggy Depot
Pearl Jam – Yield
The Susan Tedeschi Band – Better Days

Reading: “Zoom: The Global Race to Fuel the Car of the Future” by Vijay Vaitheeswaran and Iain Carson

Watching: “The Blind Side”

DPTH International said...

Savatage - Most of their discography
Manilla Road-Voyager
Cauldron Born-Born Of The Cauldron
Vektor-Black Future
Twisted Tower Dire-Isle of the Hydra & Curse of the twisted tower dire.
Voivod-Negatron
Meliah Rage-Masquerade
Haggard-Tales of Ithiria
Trans-Siberian Orchestra-Lost Christmas Eve & Beethovens Last Night
Chris Caffery-Pins & Needles & House Of Insanity
Jon Oliva's Pain-Global Warning & 'Tage Mahal
Doctor Butcher-S/T

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Greetings, gents, happy new decade to you! I'll be as regular as I can with new things upon me this year....always happy to have my regular posse here on the Wednesday shuffle...

Mark and Bob, what are your takes on the new Fu? Never got it in the madness of the last third of the year.

Bob, you can quit posing; you know you were jamming to AC/DC when the house was empty...then again, I can't imagine you in an empty house, so scratch that...I too was listening to SLF the week prior

cjk, how was "Blind Side?" My folks raved on it

Dpth, heavy dose of the 'tage and its affiliates! I've not seen a copy of the latest Caffery but dug his other solo albums...also dug Oliva's Pain albums...both guys are fun interviews as well

cjk_44 said...

ray, my sister thinks "The Blind Side" is the greatest movie ever made. i assure you it is not the greatest movie ever made. it is a safe treatment of an all too close and recent real life story. that said it is entertaining, touching, and a bit too long. worth seeing, but worth waiting for the DVD/cable showing.

how is Ihsahn's "After"? i've been revisiting "angL" and looking forward to "After."

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

cool, I can wait, then, thanks, bro... I gave the new Ihsahn 3.5 out of 4 skulls at Fangoria (as I did the new Overkill and Katatonia)... After is fabulous, a little more mature songwriting (but then, he's the epitome of mature) and there's a ton of sax amidst the infernos, so be ready to have your headspace invaded...great stuff