The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 2/24/10

Greetings, faithful, hope everyone's doing fine as we come to another playlist checkpoint!

Status quo on this end. I enjoyed a nice weekend out, catching the Benecio Del Toro Wolfman remake and hanging with an editor friend of mine on Saturday. Also nice to note I found some of my old lunch buddies from back in the day at an impromptu high school reunion at a local bar, and it was nice to hear I have some Metal Minute readers amongst them. A special big ol' horns up to Robert (and still the diehard Priest fan I knew in the eighties) for keeping it real.

The ending of the new Wolfman is pretty bad, but overall I thought it was a generally stylish film with nice retro Chaney Wolfman masks courtesy of the modern master, Rick Baker. Caveat, though; it's a bloody mess, so gorehounds will be delighted. Trad horror fans, probably not so much. It's the world we live in.

The novel's taking shape in the remaining handful of chapters I have left and I'm excited to complete this journey so I can begin the editing and get this sucker sprung upon the masses.

I owe y'all some reviews down the immediate paths, but I will say you can expect another installment of the 2003 Headbangers Interview Sessions this week. Our guest: former Overkill shredder Bobby Gustafson.

And with that, pumping down the black pearl tea and running with my ass on fire. Cheers...



Fast Times at Ridgement High Soundtrack
Dark Tranquillity - We Are the Void
Icarus Witch - Draw Down the Moon
Fear Factory - Demanufacture
The Pogues - Dirty Old Town
New Order - Get Ready
Prince - Sign O' the Times
Prince - Come
Free Reign - Tragedy EP
Nocturnal Fear - Code of Violence
Coalesce - Ox EP
Brown Jenkins - Angel Eyes
Architects - Hollow Crown
Slick Rick - The Great Adventures of Slick Rick

11 comments:

Jeff said...

King Crimson - Islands
King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black
King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic
ELP - In Concert
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Regina Spektor - Soviet Kitsch
Regina Spektor - Far
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Is Is
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!

bob_vinyl said...

Prince - Purple Rain
Dirt Mall - Pacifuego
Prince - Parade
Prince - Lovesexy
Prince - Controversy
Kiss - Rock and Roll Over
v/a - Punk Goes 80s
Jesse Malin - Love It to Life

I spent a lot of time watching the Olympics, so I didn't get as much listening in this week.

The Klepto said...

1. Alestorm - Captain Morgan's Revenge
2. The Black Keys - Magic Potion
3. The Black Keys - Rubber Factory
4. The Black Keys - Thickfreakness
5. Billy Joel - Glass Houses
6. Core - The Hustle Is On
7. Core - Revival
8. Last Minute To Jaffna - Volume I
9. Leeches of Lore - Leeches of Lore
10. Kansas - Kansas
11. Kansas - Masque
12. Kansas - Song For America
13. Mozergush - Mozergush
14. Pink Floyd - The Wall (2 Discs)
15. Rush - A Farewell To Kings
16. Rush - Hemispheres
17. Rush - Moving Pictures
18. Rush - Permanent Waves
19. S:T Erik - From Under The Tarn
20. Sasquatch - Sasquatch
21. Sasquatch - II
22. Serpentcult - Trident Nor Fire (EP)
23. Tank 86 - Ariba
24. Tank 86 - Behold
25. Van Halen - Diver Down
26. Van Halen - Fair Warning

Ezra said...

High on fire-Snakes for the Divine
Into Another-Ignarus
Bad Brains-s/t
Bad Brains-Rock for Light
Crescent Shield-last of my kind
Gods and Queens-Untitled
Refused-Shape of punk to come

Klepto,
How the hell do you pronounce
S:T Erik?

cjk_44 said...

Dark Tranquillity – We Are the Void
Fear Factory – Mechanized
Immortal – All Shall Fall
Joe Satriani – Live in Paris: I Just Wanna Rock
Riverside – Anno Domini High Definition
Amorphis – Silent Waters
Spiral Architect – A Sceptic’s Universe
Sepultura – Arise
At the Gates – With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness
H.I.M. – Love Metal
Anberlin – New Surrender
The Cult – Dreamtime
Craig Erickson Project – Shine

Reading: The Capital’s story on the closing of the Glen Burnie location of Record & Tape Traders, “Why Shit Happens: The Science of A Really Bad Day” by Peter Bentley

Watching: Olympic Ice Hockey

The Klepto said...

Ezra: No clue.
But they were pretty decent. Another one-release-only band, but good in the Stoner/doom

dschalek said...

Sorry that I haven't stopped by in awhile...

1) Overkill- Ironbound
2) Blood Cult- We Are The Cult of the Plains
3) Armour- Self titled
4) Rotten Christ- Aealo
5) Heathen- The Evolution of Chaos
6) Voodoo Merchant- Demo
7) Charred Walls of the Damned- Self titled

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

Metal Mark said...

Tunnel-s/t
Iron Maiden-Piece of mind
Judas Priest-Defenders of the faith
shEver-demo
Surtr-demo
Uriah Heep-Celebration
Gamma Ray-To the metal
220Volt-Mind over muscle
Motley Crue-Shout at the devil

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Bob, the only tube I watched outside of Dallas reruns on DVD was the Olympics and I had to record much of them to watch later

Jeff, Bob and I were having a fun chat about Topographic Oceans...was just playing the first Yes album...ought to grab Top. off the shelf for the other end of the spectrum, shall we say

Klepto, once again I bow, holy smokes, brother...and I thought I was on a tear for the upcoming week

Ezra, cool list...BB always a must and I've always loved that Refused album; it's had such a tremendous impact on today's hardcore, metal and noise punk it's underrated

cjk, didn't get to catch as much hockey as I wanted to since I was checking out as many events as I could except curling...at least a lot of the hockey games are On Demand...interesting article about the R&TT closing?

Dave, glad to see you, bud! Getting ready to post my review of Heathen...I've played that one tons...I went really high on Overkill too...it's the best stuff they've done in ages

Anon, glad you dig...come on back and throw your list out there, eh?

Mark, glad you're still crawling out there...hope the school's going well...Gamma Ray just came to me on Saturday

cjk_44 said...

the article on the R&TT closing in Glen Burnie was typical - bitterness and resignation on the part of the staff. a few shoppers interviewed for the story praised the staff for their knowledge and generally were positive about the selection and variety on the shelves.

the Olympic hockey games were fun to watch - good skills and good competition. i didn't know some of those games were OnDemand - i'll have to check out the games i missed.