The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 3/17/10

Slainte, all you Irish and wannabe Irish! To all of my readers in the homeland, a hearty cheers and let's raise the Smithwicks from both sides of the pond! My ancestry is comprised of Irish-British-German-Dutch, aka your typical American mutt, but of course just about everyone in the Yoo-Ess-Ayy turns Irish today as they turn Mexican on the 5th of May...up the pints!

Production continues on the novel and I'm two chapters away from the first draft, which means things ought to pick a little here at The Metal Minute. To all of you bands who've written me over the past few months requesting coverage, my non-response isn't purposeful, nor do I wish to come off like a snot. I'll be with you asap. My head is simply buried in getting my book finished so I can edit and be ready to show it for representation. Calling all agents!

Anyone out there get a hold of the new Jimi Hendrix product Valleys of Neptune? I've been dealing with a very sore and grouchy wife the past week who presented me with Valleys of Neptune as a peace offering (ha ha), and what a peace offering, holy smokes... Perhaps you fine folks out there will be reading about it here. As it is, I'll issue a hearty recommendation along with the new Exodus and Armored Saint albums. Even the return of Raven is a mostly welcome venture, while the reportedly final Scorps album just arrived in my box yesterday.

This year is the revenge of the old school, mark it!



Jimi Hendrix - Valleys of Neptune
Beck - Sea Change
Beck - The Information
Fear Factory - Mechanize
Armored Saint - La Raza
Exodus - Exhibit B: The Human Condition
Raven - Walk Through Fire
Cinderella - Heartbreak Station
Go Gos - Vacation
Crosby Stills Nash and Young - box set
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Flogging Molly - Float
Charred Walls of the Damned - s/t

7 comments:

Metal Mark said...

Motley Crue-Shout at the devil, Too fast for love
Titan-Steps
Iron Maiden-several
Metal Church-s/t
Dio-Dream evil
Uriah Heep-Celebration
Surtr-demo
Dusted Angel-The thorn
Helloween-KOT7K pt.1

bob_vinyl said...

I used to wear orange on St Patrick's Day just to be adversarial, but I really have no sympathy for the British. However, I also have no interest in a holiday that's been twisted into a celebration of drunkenness and meat, two things I can't stand. So, I just wear something other than green.

I need to get down to Sound Garden to pick up Valleys of Neptune. I just haven't had the time.

Here's what I listened to:

Midnight Oil - 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
Midnight Oil - Red Sails in the Sunset
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Southern Accents
Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell
Jim Steinman - Bad for Good
Plan 9 - Keep Your Cool and Read the Rules
Benton Falls - Fighting Starlight
REM - New Adventures in Hi-Fi
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf

Metal Mark said...

"I used to wear orange on St Patrick's Day just to be adversarial,"
Bob-Do you really need a reason to be adversarial?

bob_vinyl said...

Mark, you would be amazed by how much restraint I actually show.

cjk_44 said...

High on Fire – Snakes for the Divine
Dark Tranquillity – We Are the Void
Cynic – Traced in Air
Vinnie Moore – To the Core
Swallow the Sun – New Moon
Boris – Akuma no Uta
Vanden Plas – Beyond Daylight
The Allman Brothers Band – Eat A Peach
various artists – The Runaways Soundtrack
Johnny Cash – Ain’t No Grave

Reading: “Fly by Wire: The Geese, The Glide, The Miracle on the Hudson” by William Langewiesche

Watching: “Hoosiers”

i'm half Irish/half German, but i got away from wearing green on 3/17 "just because" about a decade but now i have to wear green because the kids goad me into it.

Ray, i'm not a big fan of Raven but it seemed like i saw them about 7 or 8 times in the late '90s and early '00s.

The Klepto said...

1. Accept - Balls To The Wall
2. Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies
3. Alice Cooper - School's Out
4. The Allman Brothers Band - At Filmore East (2 Discs)
5. Artimus Pyledriver - Artimus Pyledriver
6. BlackFoot - Strikes
7. Blacktusk - Passage Through Purgatory
8. The Dead Weather - Horehound
9. Deathbeds - No Funeral (EP)
10. Eagles - Eagles
11. Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (')
12. Frank Zappa - Overnite Sensation
13. Funkadelic - Cosmic Slop
14. Giant Squid - The Ichthyologist
15. Giant Squid - Metridium Fields
16. The Offspring - Conspiracy Of One
17. The Offspring - Splinter
18. The Original Slowhand And The Evil Minions - Bring The Funk Back. Please.
19. Porcupine Tree - On The Sunday of Life
20. Queen - Queen II
21. Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
22. Rage Against The Machine - Renegades
23. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium
24. Scorpions - Love At First Sting
25. The Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle
26. The Who - Who's Next?

Ezra said...

Triptykon-Whatever the hell it's called
Ludicra-the tenent