The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 4/7/10

Howdy, folks, hope everyone's getting a little extra in their hump day however they get it...

Spring's finally here, shorts are out of the dresser (actually, they never really went away for me since I wear them year-round in the house) and that means heavy duty on the outdoor action. Staining, mowing, preening, trimming, running, grilling, chasing the boy around, taking pictures, writing observations about the world for future and current material. That's living life. Amazing there was any time for music, honestly. Well, in my world it's not too hard.

Been quite busy on the phone talking with colleagues and people giving me generous time and advice about marketing my novel, which I'm editing like a demon. To each and every one of them, thank you for shooting straight and helping me stay focused on what's real.

Stephen King issues the wise "kill your darlings" motif in his brilliant mini-manual On Writing and it's served me well chopping pages down, trimming the fat, removing unnecessary adverbs you unconsciously (ha!) spew in a flurry while in creation mode. The first sweep is halfway finished, then I'll be going back to decorate certain spots. I'm ahead of my personal deadline and feeling great about this project.

With that, stay tuned for more reviews and overdue flotsam headed your way this coming week.

Hell, let's make this fun, readers. You pick my next review amongst the following: Dark Tranquillity, Finntroll, Raven, The Ocean, Exodus or Krokus.



Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties
Bob Dylan - Bringing it All Back Home
Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding
Bob Dylan - Desire
Fates Warning - Parallels
Icarus Witch - Draw Down the Moon
Grace Jones - Nightclubbing
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
Beatallica - Masterful Mystery Tour
Orange - Phoenix
Devil's Whorehouse - Blood & Ashes
Brown Jenkins - Dagonite
Patti Smith - Horses
Iggy Pop - Lust for Life
Finntroll - Nifelvind

10 comments:

Metal Mark said...

Krokus-Hoodoo
Behold the monolith
Six Dead Horses
Hollywood Rocks box set
Scorpions-Savage Amusement
War Babies
shEver

bob_vinyl said...

Built to Spill - You in Reverse
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Bad Brains - Rise
Bad Brains - I & I Survived
Jimi Hendrix - Blues
Janes Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
Fine Young Cannibals - The Raw and the Cooked
The Firm - s/t
Thrice - Alchemy Index Vol 1

bob_vinyl said...

Built to Spill - You in Reverse
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Bad Brains - Rise
Bad Brains - I & I Survived
Jimi Hendrix - Blues
Janes Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
Fine Young Cannibals - The Raw and the Cooked
The Firm - s/t
Thrice - Alchemy Index Vol 1

bob_vinyl said...

Built to Spill - You in Reverse
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Bad Brains - Rise
Bad Brains - I & I Survived
Jimi Hendrix - Blues
Janes Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
Fine Young Cannibals - The Raw and the Cooked
The Firm - s/t
Thrice - Alchemy Index Vol 1

Jeff said...

Great selection with Brining It All Back Home - my favorite Dylan album.

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King (DVD-A)
Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
The Beach Boys - Sounds of Summer
Silverchair - Frogstomp
The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
The Sword - Gods of the Earth
Bad Brains - S/T

Jeff said...

Bob - I was in total Jane's Addiction mode a few weeks ago. Nothing Shocking got the most play from me, I can't get enough of "Ted Just Admit It"

Ezra said...

All the untitled mp3s in my collection, since I finally got a mp3 tagging program.

Why oh why do people mess with things so much?

Good job on all the Bad Brains guys! Can't go wrong with that.

The Klepto said...

1. Aerosmith - Pump - New
2. Aerosmith - Toys In The Attic
3. Alice In Chains - Dirt
4. Dropkick Murphys - Blackout
5. Dropkick Murphys - Do Or Die
6. Dropkick Murphys - The Gang's All Here
7. Dropkick Murphys - The Meanest Of Times
8. Dropkick Murphys - Sing Loud, Sing Proud!
9. Dropkick Murphys - The Warrior's Code
10. Flogging Molly - Whiskey On A Sunday
11. Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast
12. Jackdaw - Jackdaw
13. The Offspring - Ixnay On The Hombre
14. Pink Floyd - The Wall
15. The Pogues - Peace And Love
16. Ramones - Ramones
17. Seven Nations - A Celtic Rock Tribute To The Cure
18. Stone Gods - Silver Spoons And Broken Bones
19. Tool - Undertow
20. The Tossers - Agony
21. The Tossers - Long Dim Road
22. The Tossers - On A Fine Spring Evening
23. The Tossers - We'll Never Be Sober Again
24. Twisted Sister - Come Out And Play
25. Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry
26. Twisted Sister - Under The Blade
27. Two Gallants - The Scenery Of Farewell (EP)
28. U2 - The Joshua Tree
29. The Union Underground - ...An Education In Rebellion
30. Young Dubliners - With All Due Respect - The Irish Sessions
31. Young Dubliners - Saints And Sinners

cjk_44 said...

Orphaned Land – The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR
The Dillinger Escape Plan – Option Paralysis
The Gates of Slumber – Conqueror
Dark Tranquillity – We Are the Void
Aborted – Slaughter & Apparatus
Armageddon – Three (reissue)
Guns ‘N’ Roses – Use Your Illusion I
King Diamond – House of God
Davy Knowles & Back Door Slam – Coming Up for Air
George Jones – Burn Your Playhouse Down: The Unreleased Duets

Reading: “Jesus Hates Zombies” (part one of five) and “Robert Altman: The Oral Biography” by Mitchell Zuckoff

Watching: Red Sox

for totally selfish reasons i vote that you do your next review for DT's "We Are the Void"

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

cjk, you got your wish, bro being you were the only one to play along, lol...

Mark, I don't think I've listened to Savage Amusement since the year it came out...I remember it being good overall

I too like all the Bad Brains action and Bob listening to my favorite Maiden album...thanks, Jeff, I love that Dylan album too...it's fierce considering his transition to "Electric Bob" at that point

Ezra, I can imagine what a nice fun headache that was with the MP3s or perhaps joy of rediscovery

Klepto's still on the Irish kick, nice....