The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 5/12/10




The Batjerk "dies" on the Exorcist steps...

Hullo, Metal Minute devoted!

Today your happy host turns the big 4-0 and it's surreal in a fashion but I'm examining what I've done right to this point and what I might not've, as people usually do on a landmark birthday. What I can say in relation to this site is what I always say; The Metal Minute exists to serve you and the industry and your allegiance is a gift unto itself.

As today is crazy busy, I celebrated over the weekend with a road trip into Virginia and a sit-down with Ratt's Bobby Blotzer, one of the most rewarding interviews I've done. The show afterwards was insane and Ratt was in fine gear. Yours truly was flashed by a pair of drunken ladies like it was the eighties and before I could say "what the hell happened?" the show turned up a notch onstage and the crowd with it. If that stunt with the girls had happened before I got married I might've appreciated it more.

Then a haunt into Georgetown in Washington, DC for a stop at the nefarious stairwell used in The Exorcist. Nothing has changed at that location since 1973, except the graffiti. Quite an experience.

And with that, the Batjerk is throwing his Catwoman and Robin into the Jerkmobile and asking y'all to stay tuned to this Batjerk channel...



Rosetta - Determinism of Reality
Ratt - s/t EP
Ratt - Infestation
Judas Priest - British Steel 30th Anniversary edition
Sodom - Agent Orange reissue
Fantomas - Suspended Animation
Mouth of the Architect - The Ties that Blind
Weezer - Maladroit
Doug Wamble - s/t
Bruce Springsteen - Working On a Dream
Prince - Lotusflow3r
Run-DMC - s/t

13 comments:

Metal Mark said...

Listen...
Van Halen-1984
Led Zeppelin-3
Kani-Rockabeast
Chillihounds-Welcome to the show
Judas Priest-British Steel 30th anniversary edition, Hell bent for leather
D.O.A-Let's wreck the party re-issue
Methusalem-Unite and conquer
Flashfalcon-Voracious appetite, venomous bite
Iron Maiden-A matter of life of death
Enforcer-Diamonds

Watching...
Tales from the darkside season 3

Reading...
Lunatic Express

bob_vinyl said...

Fela Kuti - s/t 10"
Genesis - Wind and Wuthering
Ludlow Lions - No Stories
Everyone Everywhere - s/t
Prince - Lotusflow3r
Rum Diary - Retrospective 2000-2007
Captain Beyond - Sufficiently Breathless
Surfer Blood - Astro Coast
Yeasayer - All Hour Cymbals

DPTH International said...

Flatfoot 56 - Knuckles Up, Jungle of the Midwest, Black Thorn.
Heathen - The Evolution Of Chaos
Communic - Payment of Existence
Carcass - Necrotism-descanting the insolubrious
Frosthardr - discography
Led Zepplin - IV
Crimson Moonlight- In the depths of Dreams Unconscience
Frost Like Ashes - Pure as Blood covered Snow
Frank's Enemy - S/T
Gryp - S/T
Ritual-Widow, Valley of the Kings
Mantric - The descent
As I Lay Dying- Rise of the powerless

Jeff said...

The Beatles - Meet the Beatles
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe
Pink Floyd - Animals
Deftones - Diamond Eyes
Genesis - Selling England By the Pound
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Radiohead - OK Computer
Radiohead - The Bends
Radiohead - Kid A
Radiohead - Amnesiac
The Clash - London Calling

bob_vinyl said...

Jeff, where do you stand on the Radiohead catalog?

Jeff said...

Bob, I think Radiohead is one of the best bands EVER! Their sound is constantly evolving, and none of those evolutions sound bad - in fact, they all sound incredible. If I remember correctly, you are a Radiohead hater, right?

bob_vinyl said...

Actually, I loved Radiohead up through OK Computer. To me, Kid A was one of those Emperor's New Clothes albums. Everybody says you should like it, but it's not good. I think they kinda thought they could be Brian Eno or something and they're not. Once they got back to a more traditional sound on Hail to the Thief, I thought they'd lost too much momentum and I haven't been able to get into the subsequent stuff. But The Bends and OK Computer are two of the finest albums of the 90s.

Jeff said...

I can understand that. I'm not as big of a fan of Kid A and Amnesiac as others. Didn't Rolling Stone rate Amnesiac as the best album of the decade? I think they're great albums, but not as good as the rest of their work. I think The Bends, OK Computer, Hail to the Theif and In Rainbows are masterpieces though. Depending on my mood, I think In Rainbows may actually be my favorite.

bob_vinyl said...

Hail to the Thief was a bit of a relief, but it wore thin pretty quickly. In Rainbows just never grabbed me. I don't think either had that sense of exploration that the Bends and OK Computer had. Neither were bad records. They just felt more like they went through the motions than the earlier records.

cjk_44 said...

The Ocean – Heliocentric
Borknagar – Universal
Agalloch – Ashes Against the Grain
Candlemass – Death Magic Doom
Daylight Dies – Lost to the Living
Lothlorien – The Primal Event
Jimi Hendrix – First Rays of the New Rising Sun
Arcade – s/t
J.J. Cale – Closer to You

Reading: “Inherent Vice” by Thomas Pynchon

Watching: NHL Playoffs

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

cjk, I just got that Jimi package "Rising Sun") and I'm just amazed how much material there is out there...I know half of it was already released as The Cry of Love, but the other stuff on it, wow, and all together? Sheesh, if some bands sounded half as urgent polished as Jimi does in demo form, craziness...

Mark, I haven't TFTD in ages but should...not always great, but really good much of the time

Bob, I like that Genesis album a lot...suffice it to say the early years are just heads and tails astonishing

Jeff and Bob, I definitely think Radiohead's one of the most important groups since they've come on the scene...I STILL haven't played my copy of In Rainbows yet, sheesh, I'm a slacker

Dpth, glad to see you on the Ritual tip...those were way cool albums...how'd you like the new Heathen?

DPTH International said...

Hey Ray. I like the new Heathen album. Has some good crunch and memorable melodies.

I found the Ritual albums at a local used CD shop and thought I'd give them a chance. I like Valley of the kings more, but both are pretty cool.

Andrew Prakash said...

The Ocean – Heliocentric Borknagar – Universal Agalloch – Ashes Against the Grain Candlemass – Death Magic Doom Daylight Dies – Lost to the Living Lothlorien – The Primal Event Jimi Hendrix – First Rays of the New Rising Sun Arcade – s/t J.J. Cale – Closer to You Reading: “Inherent Vice” by Thomas Pynchon Watching: NHL Playoffs