The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 5/19/10




Harle, scalawags, welcome to another weekly check-in of your listening pleasures. Unfortunately there's little pleasure to take this week in the metal community with the fall of one of our esteemed knights of the order, followed by the announced breakup of some of the finest artisans of this generation. I'm course talking about Ronnie James Dio and Isis.

A hard couple weeks personally bookended by a pair of fabulous weekends, which accounted for a slowdown in production. Wifey and I got out on date for a change and took in Iron Man 2. As a reader of ol' Shellhead in the eighties I never thought an actor could nail down Tony Stark with the nuances dwelling beneath the narcissism, but Robert Downey, Jr. has claimed the role as his own and Iron Man 2 rocked.

You readers never let me down with your support and there's a very special treat coming your way this week. Normally I'd leave you in suspense, but let's get you salvating in anticipation, yes? Stay tuned this week for the first part of a Headbangers 2003 Interview Session with the Captain Howdy himself: Dee Snider.

No doubt you'll enjoy reading as much as I enjoyed conducting the interview back then. In case I haven't pimped it yet, my recent interview with Blackie Lawless is running over at Dee's site, House of Hair Online. My chat with Bobby Blotzer is forthcoming at the same space. Also expect a review of the new Bullet For My Valentine album, Fever and other num nums (as my boy would say) around the bend.

Spin-wise, well, I'm no different than the rest of us mourning the loss of a legend with a heavy lean on Ronnie James Dio, but I'm especially taken by the new Danzig album. Stripped, dirty, minimalist, sometimes bombastic, this is the guttural yet melodic sound of Samhain crashed with Danzig III. With Tommy Victor serving the tunes instead of overpowering them as on Circle of Snakes, this one's a freakin' winner. Check it out. The new Soulfly album Omen is likewise a smoker. What Max Cavalera has done to this band along with Marc Rizzo is remarkable if you prefer Soulfly on the brutal side.




Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
Rainbow - Rising
Rainbow - Long Live Rock 'n Roll
Black Sabbath - Mob Rules
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
Dio - The Last in Line
Dio - Killing the Dragon
Danzig - Deth Red Sabaoth
Soulfly - Omen
Lizzy Borden - Love You to Pieces
Bullet For My Valentine - Fever
Deftones - Diamond Eyes
Sodom - Agent Orange reissue
Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
Sisters of Mercy - Floodland
Microtia - Spacemaker
Jon Oliva's Pain - Festival
Bonedome - Thinktankubator
Mouth of the Architect - The Violence Beneath EP
Scorpions - Love at First Sting
Judge Jackson - Drive

13 comments:

Metal Mark said...

Rainbow-Rising, Long live rock and roll
Black Sabbath-Heaven and hell, The Mob Rules
Dio-Holy Diver, Dream Evil, Lock up the wolves, Magica
DOA-Talk-Action=0
Lethal Saint-s/t
The Exploited-Horror Epics
The Who by numbers
Pink Floyd-Animals
Arryan Path-Terra Incognita
Canvas Solaris-Irradiance

tarleisio said...

It's official. I hate you. !"#€%&/()=?!"! damn it , you got to listen to Deth Red Sabaoth whereas we mere, pathetic mortals have to suffer the pangs and throes of terminal frustration for another month. I don't know if I'll survive. Really, I don't.

So how is Johnny Kelly hangin' on those drums?

What I'm listening to today:

Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman (because - it's Ozzy - what's not to love?)
Garbage - which is anything but.
Opeth - My arms, Your hearse (don't mess with a classic)
Bruce Dickinson - Chemical Wedding (semi-guilty pleasure. I really shouldn't like this, but help me, someone, I do)
Robert Johnson - Collected Recordings (the arguable Beginning Of It All)
Isis - Wavering Radiant. I came late to this one, as usual, and what realy bites is that right when my paty was finally getting started - it's - over. More - damn it!
Deep Purple - In Rock. It's just - that kind of day.

And any day, any night, any time, any night I take my bats out for a walk under the moon, is a good night for Danzig.

Which explains why I'm ...dying...over here!

;-)

cjk_44 said...

Dio – The Last in Line
Dio – Master of the Moon
Dio – Magica
Black Sabbath – Heaven and Hell
Rainbow – Rising
Rainbow – Ritchie Blackmore’s Rainbow
Cult of Luna – Eternal Kingdom
The Haunted – Versus
Evergrey – Torn
Arsis – A Diamond for Disease
Engine – Superholic
Megadeth – Cryptic Writings
Steve Earle – Guitar Town
Bonnie Raitt – Luck of the Draw

Reading: “Inherent Vice” by Thomas Pynchon

Watching: NHL Playoffs

Jeff said...

The Black Keys - Brothers
Norma Jean - Bless the Martyr Kiss the Child
Norma Jean - O God, The Aftermath
Norma Jean - Redeemer
The Dead Weather - Sea of Cowards
Yes - Yes
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe
The Beatles - Meet the Beatles
Regina Spektor - Begin to Hope
Margot and the Nuclear So and Sos - Daytrotter Sessions

Descendents - Milo Goes to College
The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

The Klepto said...

Black Stone Cherry - Black Stone Cherry
Black Tide - Light From Above
Earthlings? - Earthlings?
Earthlings? - Humalien (EP)
Earthlings? - Human Beans
Elton John - Caribou
End of Level Boss - Inside The Difference Engine
End of Level Boss - Prologue
Fatso Jetson - Cruel And Delicious
Fatso Jetson - Stinky Little Gods
Helloween - Metal Jukebox
Judas Priest - Point of Entry
King Hobo - King Hobo
Metallica - Kill 'Em All
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Nebula - Heavy Psych
Pink Floyd - Animals
Snot - Get Some
Stonebride - Inner Seasons

bob_vinyl said...

The Clash - s/t (US)
The Clash - Give "em Enough Rope
The Clash - London Calling
Thinking Machines - Work Tapes
Stegosaur - Adventure
Helen Earth Band -
Dead Weather - Sea of Cowards
Rooftops - Forest of Polarity
The Water - EP #1 and EP #2
Gaslight Anthem - American Slang

In the course of 8 days, I saw three shows. PiL, Buzzcocks (w/ Dollyrots) and Thee Silver Mount Zion (w/ The Water). One was okay, though a bit disappointing. The other two might possibly be in my all-time top 10.

Hey Jeff, how's that Norma Jean workin' out for you? I know you were happy with the package, but unsure about the music when we spoke about it weeks ago.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Mark, good selection...how's that Canvas Solaris? Just arrived in my box this week.

Tarlesio, I love you, bud, just for being here with your album anecdotes! I don't take my position for granted one iota and feel blessed to be given all I'm given in this industry. I'm as much a pathetic mortal as yourself; I just busted my ass for 8 eight years covering the industry and am fortunate as hell to still be in it, considering the competition out there. You will love this album. It's very stripped, more rock-oriented but still Danzig. Johnny plays it low-tempo but hard, just like the album itself. Glenn keeps the whole thing very minimalist, dirty and slightly Samhain-ish at times and it works like a charm.

cjk, I never got into Bonnie Raitt but I see her charm...one day, perhaps...alas, I'm missing the playoffs because of my schedule, but what Montreal and Philly are doing in these things is special

Jeff and Bob, glad you guys are on the NJ tip...I have mad respect for those guys, mainly because they gave me a long interview years back and they were sick as hell but very nice and then they went out onstage and delivered an energetic, gallant performance...I think only me and their TM knew how sick they were

Klepto, thanks for pulling the Snot (hahahaha)...I'll have to play my copy...love that album

Jeff said...

Bob, I think Bless the Martyr is incredible, but that's nothing new. I used to be hard on the rest of their work - I think just because I love Josh Scogin's vocals - but after listening to O God, The Aftermath, I was really happy I made the purchase. I don't think the other two albums are as good as Bless the Martyr, but they are definitely good none-the-less.

Also, did you get the first set of the box set? I think the colors were splattered on the vinyl instead of being half and half. I think that would actually be cooler, but I still think the set I got is the best looking set of vinyls I have.

bob_vinyl said...

Jeff, my set is the split colors like yours. I think the only thing I'm not too crazy about is that one is a picture disc. I've never been a big fan of picture discs. All in all though, it's a very nice set and among the best I have also.

tarleisio said...

I'm glad you took my idiotic comment in the spirit it was given. Let me say that I know just what a wretched, competitive business this is, and whatever you've got, you earned - the hard way!

Dude, I like your blog. If you like my acid asides on my playlist, that's - a start!

You keep 'em coming, and I'll keep up the running commentary on my pathetic taste in music.

Deal? ;-)

Metal Mark said...

Ray-The new Canvas Solaris is fantastic. More direct than the last two maybe, but very smooth.

cjk_44 said...

Ray, i am fortunate to have an uncle that was into Bonnie Raitt long before she broke nationally. he introduced me to her long before her sound became slicker and more commercialized. i like her songs no matter the production values. anything with a bluesy-bent is going to capture my interest anyway.

yeah, the playoffs have been a little out of the ordinary in the Eastern Conference. still sad my Bruins got knocked out the way they did.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Tarlesio, definitely a deal. :)

Mark, glad to hear. That band's gotten better with each album, definitely building each time.

cjk, I can imagine the bluesy Bonnie ought to have been special...it's interesting to see famous artists how they performed and WHAT they performed before they broke