The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Monday, July 12, 2010

On With the Show...


Buzz Osborne, Melvins (c) 2010 Ray Van Horn, Jr. / The Metal Minute

Alright, so call me a schizo if you like, I'm a big boy and I can take it.

It's been more than a month since I announced an indefinite hiatus here and I'm sure my loyals probably feel a little jerked around. The fact of the matter is I'm very touched so many people have reached out in my absence with encouragement, praise and of course, requests to come back and do coverage. In a month's time, my followers roster has spiked and the hit counts are still on-par as ever despite the inactivity. It's all heartwarming, honestly.

As I've finished my current novel and continue to shop it around, I am of course starting another novel which will have an even broader focus. The location shooting I've done for the next project alone has me giddy beyond words, no pun intended. Writing the first few paragraphs of the tenatively-titled "Reunion" feels like comeuppance.

I've joined up with AOL's Patch.com as a freelancer and continue my affiliations at House of Hair Online and Hails & Horns magazine as well as coverage for a local newspaper. I still work in a full-time capacity in a different industry and my little one continues to grow and I mean grow.

That being said, there's a place in my heart and mindspace to continue on with The Metal Minute, albeit in a limited capacity. I've always tried to keep a level of professionalism here at the Minute which includes a steady flux of posting. I cannot promise the same pace will resume. Likewise, I can only attend to so many bands, though I'm simply flattered to constantly receive correspondence looking for coverage. I'll serve the industry here as much as my crazy schedule will allow, but in response to so much kindness, let The Metal Minute tick once again.

Keep your dreams flying, boys and girls, they'll happen eventually if you need it more than you want it. I need it more than I need air.

7 comments:

Metal Mark said...

I can say that you are like the Ministry of blogs? Final album indeed.

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog about a week ago so personally I am glad you are choosing to continue.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Thank you, Mark, very kind as always. Got a better reception from Anon, grazi.

tarleisio said...

As someone who's been following you awhile, I was wondering whether or not you could stay away...;-) Glad to see you back, and as someone who's about to depart on that same journey (shopping a turkey I wrote), I can only wish you all the luck - and it's good to see you again!

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Tarleisio, I'm flighty bastard, I guess. I've always appreciated your crazy anecdotes to your playlists. THAT's why I came back, lol...seriously, though, good luck shopping your book. It's the hardest moment of the entire process, I believe. Getting someone to believe in you to push your words in front of a publisher is the biggest battle a writer faces.

Metal Mark said...

Ray- I am very glad you are back. I just couldn't resist the Ministry comparison because I remember you complaining the covers album after they saying the previous release was their last album.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

My only itch about the Ministry Cover Up album is a fair chunk of the selections were previously-released and a couple tunes I just wasn't into. I've always liked Ministry, though, whether they bounce or return or both.