The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Metal Louvre: Iron Maiden - "Run to the Hills" Live single



We might as well start calling this "Maiden Louvre" at this point...

I still have the button for this cover to the "Run to the Hills" live vinyl maxi single and I used to have it in poster form tacked to the wall in my bedroom, right beneath a felt poster of Priest's Defenders of the Faith, neither of which are in my possession any longer.

Too bad when teenager separates from his adolescent treasures en route to manhood, but this image of a caped Eddie hammering away on some galactic organ was more indicative of "Phantom of the Opera," which does come as part of the other selections on this album.

There's something Frazetta-ish about the rolling mountains surrounding Eddie in his triumphant bravado here. Doubt he'd win a cleave 'em up against Conan, Red Sonja or Kull the Conqueror, but this image is tailor made for pulp adventure nonetheless. Removed from his bloody urban hellhole of the first two albums and accompanying singles, we now begin to see Iron Eddie in more battleready (i.e. "The Trooper" and Maiden Japan) and subsequently outlandish transfigurations. Understated to a degree, this painting is nonetheless a reverent image of the undead metal mongrel at his best.

7 comments:

bob_vinyl said...

Isn't this actually the 1985 "Run to the Hills" live single b/w "Phantom of the Opera" and "Losfer Words?"

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I've seen it under both names, but since you're flagging me, I'm going to assume to consensus regards it such and make a change. Thanks, dude.

bob_vinyl said...

I wasn't sure, so I looked on Wikipedia. What clued me in was that I thought the live "Running Free" single was a live photo (making for an odd Maiden cover).

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Exactly. I always referred to this painting (and the button package did too) as "Phantom of the Opera," but yeah, there's references to both "RF" and "RTTH" for this packaging. Dunno why, but we'll stick with "RTTH" since it comes up more.

bob_vinyl said...

I figured out where the confusion comes from. In 1990, they re-issued a lot of the singles (as double 12 inches called The First Ten Years) that had two previous singles packaged together. The "Run to the Hills" live single was packaged with the "Running Free" live single. The artwork you posted about was the "Run to the Hills" cover. The other side of the gatefold on the 1990 re-issue had the "Running Free" cover which was the live shot of the band.

I always thought the double 12" re-issues were kinda silly, but they fetch a good price on ebay. The Maiden singles I have are all the individual ones though.

Metal Mark said...

I have the Live Running Free and it does have a live photo on the cover.
The Phantom of the opera artwork made it's round on a lot of posters, shirts, buttons and stuff around (I believe) 1986.
You are right about the 1990 re-issues and Ray's scan is from that set because is has the 1980-1990 logo they all used on it in the upper right hand corner.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I just want my poster back. :)