The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 8/25/10

Greetings, gang, hope you enjoyed Maiden Louvre this past week! Also hope everyone's enjoying The Final Frontier. Iron Maiden albums were such an event in the metal world back in the eighties it seemed like everything stopped and revolved around them for a couple months. Unfortunately there are just so many bands today it's difficult to give any one act a definitive push and celebration of their latest work...unless you're on Clear Channel, that is. But in the spirit of the old days for the masters of metal, I felt it appropriate (like many of my fellow writers) to give Maiden a whole week's kickoff for The Final Frontier.

I'd like to take this opportunity to announce the formation of my new venture coming soon, a rock, punk and metal digital PDF magazine called Retaliate. I'm already booking guests (Filter, Papa Roach, Marky Ramone, Dean Pleasants, Poobah, Iwrestledabearonce and The Acacia Strain being a few names to whet your appetites) and putting together some of the layout for a hopeful launch sometime in October. I will keep everyone posted as the debut of Retaliate draws closer.

We're getting to that critical point in the music world where many consider it a dead lag overall following the summer blast. Yet for my tastes, I've come to find the summer-to-fall changeover one of the hottest times of the year for the best albums to hit. I've already considered the upcoming Kylesa and Enslaved albums as potential album-of-the-year candidates and I was just hipped to a cool fuzz rock outfit you should check out called Zuul, who are also scheduled to make an appearance in Retaliate.

Here at The Metal Minute, be on the lookout for a Take 5 interview with The Rotted and more goodies.

And with that, chums and chumettes, enjoy the rest of your week and rock hard!



Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Kylesa - Spiral Shadow
Zuul - Out of Time
Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini
Iwrestledabearonce - It's All Happening special edition
Paul Gilbert - Fuzz Universe
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual
Jane's Addiction - Strays
Guns 'n Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Billy Joel - Greatest Hits Volume I and II
The Doors - L.A. Woman
Cyco Miko/Infectious Grooves - Funk it Up & Punk it Up: Live in France '95
Addicted to Pain - s/t EP
Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass - Whipped Cream and Other Delights
Thievery Corporation - Radio Retaliation

13 comments:

bob_vinyl said...

Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier
Frontier(s) - The Plains
Montagna and the Mouth to Mouth - Ultrapolyamorous
Castevet - The Echo and the Light
Banquets - This Is Our Concern, Dude
Randy California - Kapt Kopter and the Fabulous Twirly Birds

Jeff said...

I'm probably the only person that will leave a comment not listing the new Maiden, but anyway, here is what I've been listening to:

MGMT - Congratulation
MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
Deftones - Diamond Eyes
Deftones - White Pony
ELP - Tarkus
Neil Young - Harvest
Weezer - Pinkerton
King Crimson - Discipline

bob_vinyl said...

Dude, you should listen to the new Maiden!

The Klepto said...

Actually I'm listening tot he new Maiden right now. It's ok. It was explained to me long ago by a die-hard Iron Maiden fan (after the release of A Matter Of Life And Death) that albums by the band require several listens to fully comprehend and enjoy, and I believe he is right. So I always delay a view on Iron Maiden albums until I've had the time to properly digest the finer points.

Elf - Carolina County Ball
Hermano - ...Only A Suggestion
Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
Iron Maiden - Killers
Mudvayne - The End of All Things to Come
Mudvayne - L.D. 50
Mudvayne - Lost and Found
Mudvayne - Mudvayne
Mudvayne - The New Game
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Uriah Heep - Demons And Wizards

taotechuck said...

Jeff, you and I are in the same maidenless boat. I think Maiden is a great band, but I haven't been impressed enough by their recent albums to rush out and get this one. Very few bands can maintain my interest for more than 3-4 albums, though. After a while, even the best bands start sounding repetitive.

Anyway, here's this week's list. Not much music for me this week.:

Sarah Main - Pure Pacha Vol II (Disc 2)
The Orb - The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Underworld
Death Cab for Cutie - Plans
Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism
Abandoned Pools - Armed to the Teeth

cjk_44 said...

Iron Maiden – The Final Frontier
Nachtmystium – Addicts: Black Meddle, Pt. 2
The Dillinger Escape Plan – Option Paralysis
Keep of Kalessin – Kolossus
Agalloch – The Mantle
Opeth – Catch The Rainbow (Bloodstock 2010)
Tool – 10,000 Days
The Derek Trucks Band – Roadsongs
John Mellencamp – No Better Than This

Reading: “Traveling Music: Playing Back the Soundtrack to My Life and Times” by Neil Peart

Watching: “Forging the Land of Thousand Lakes” by Amorphis, Matchstick Men

Metal Mark said...

Iron Maiden-The final frontier, s/t, Powerslave, Dance of death
Adiastasia-Life War
Saint-In the battle
Poobah-Let me in
Soul Remnants-Plague of the universe
Stormtrooper-Armies of the night
Phantom Blue-Built to perform

((( Headbang Here ))) said...

Hey Ray, how ya been? It's Alex G. My Wednesday (now Thurs), just a ton of:

Cephalic Carnage: Anamolies
Cephalic Carnage: Misled By Certainty
Cephalic Carnage: Xenosapien
Judas Priest: Painkiller
Diamond Head: *all of it*
The Last Felony: Too Many Humans
A Band Of Orcs: Into The Maelstrom

Crescent Shield said...

"Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini"

Must...have...this...

cjk_44 said...

Jeff- I'm hearing good things about "Diamond Eyes", what's your opinion of the disc?

Jeff said...

cjk - It's incredible. I'm not a big Deftones fan, but Diamond Eyes is one of my favorite albums of the year. It was really a surprise to me. It has an undeniable energy and intesity with some killer melodies.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Diamond Eyes is fantastic, love it love it love it, surprised I put it down for a month.

CS, you WILL want the new Enslaved, trust me. Whew.

Alex, que pasa, brutha? The Orcs are running wild in my email, lol...

Looks like Maiden was the big to-do here this week, sorry for the lag in response time, gang.

cjk_44 said...

jeff, ray- diamond eyes is incredible. intensely emotional for obvious reasons the disc really has an impact, and i suspect it would have an impact if the listener didn't know the band's backstory.