The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 9/1/10

Damn, is two-thirds of 2010 over already?

A happy midweek to you, readers! The Minute may have been slower this week, but I've been in fifth gear grinding out interviews for the debut issue of Retaliate magazine. I can already let you know interviews with Marky Ramone, Wolf Hoffman of Accept, Jacoby Shaddix of Papa Roach, Krysta Cameron of Iwrestledabearonce, Jim Gustafson of Poobah and the entire lineup of Addicted to Pain are already in the can. Tonight a rendezvous with Today is the Day at their gig in Baltimore and we are officially rolling. More guests are either confirmed and ready to go or awaiting approval, so it will be an honor to present Retaliate #1 for you all, believe me.

My two-and-a-half-year-old son, who is wiser at his toddler age than many people I've met, lit my heart my on fire last night when he peeked in on me while I was interviewing Jacoby Shaddix and when I was done, he said "Daddy talk to rock 'n roll band...that's AWESOME!" I'm not a crying man, but that choked me up.

Here at The Metal Minute, a Blind Illusion reissue review is coming your way and a couple other nuggets sitting on the right side of my desk, if not my mind, so keep 'er here and thank you as always!

With that, it's off to the trenches, yikes and awayyyyyyy...




Poobah - Let Me In
Filter - The Trouble With Angels
Filter - Short Bus
Today is the Day - s/t
Today is the Day - Willpower
Today is the Day - Axis of Eden
Accept - Objection Overruled
Accept - Blood of the Nations
Black Label Society - Order of the Black
Electric Light Orchestra - Afterglow box set
Paul Gilbert - Fuzz Universe
Fen - Trails of Gloom
Koffin Kats - Drunk in the Daylight
Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward
Papa Roach - Time For Annihilation
Iwrestledabearonce - It's All Happening special edition

13 comments:

Metal Mark said...

Iron Maiden-Dance of death, Powerslave
Quartz-Stand up and fight (re-issue)
Rezet-Have gun will travel
Pentagram-Relentless
Vindicator-The antique witcheries
Darkness-Conclusion and revival
Fist-Turn the hell on (re-issue)
Christian Mistress-Agony and opium
Witchcraft-Firewood
Valdur-Raven God amognst us

bob_vinyl said...

Girl in a Coma - Trio BC
Husker Du - New Day Rising
Husker Du - Candy Apple Grey
Egg Hunt - s/t 7"

I know I listened to other stuff, but I can't remember right now...

Jeff said...

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Pink Floyd - Meddle
The Mars Volta - Amputechture
Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
Gastlight Anthem - American Slang
Nirvana - In Utero
Tool - Aenima
Pearl Jam - Ten
Tegan & Sara - Sainthood
Rush - Permenant Waves
Rush - Moving Pictures
Rush - Hemispheres
Yes - Close to the Edge
Genesis - Foxtrot
Wolfmother - Cosmic Egg

taotechuck said...

Not much music this week. I was in the mood for old Chicago house, but didn't have access to the stuff I wanted to hear. So I listened to Bill Monroe instead. Apparently, bluegrass is the only acceptable substitute for Chicago house. Go figure.

The Essential Bill Monroe and the Monroe Brothers

cjk_44 said...

The Sword – Warp Riders
Joe Satriani – Light Years Away (single)
Iron Maiden – The Final Frontier
Nevermore – The Obsidian Conspiracy
Exodus – Exhibt B: The Human Condition
Cathedral – The Guessing Game
Triptykon – Eparistera Daimones
Converge – Axe to Fall
Moonspell – Darkness and Hope
Control Denied – The Fragile Art of Existence
Clutch – Pure Rock Fury
Cave In – Tides of Tomorrow
Robert Plant – Now and Zen
Rolling Stones – Exile on Main Street

Reading: “The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three” by Stephen King

Watching: “Beyond Ghost Reveries” (Opeth documentary)

DPTH International said...

Hey Ray, I've been silent the last few weeks, but I've been enjoying your posts and I look forward to your Retaliate project.

This week I've been listening to:
Infectious Grooves-discography
Iron Maiden-Final Frontier
Led Zepplin - I to IV
Woods of Ypres - The green Album
Zao - Awake
Corpus Christi- A Feast for Crows
Odds - Good Weird Feeling
Necramyth - Slaughter of the Seoul
Turisas-Battle Metal
Darkflight-Under the Shadow of Fear
Summoning - Stronghold
Trans-Siberian Orchestra-Night Castle

Jeff said...

cjk - I totally forgot Warp Riders from The Sword came out. How is it?

taotechuck said...

cjk - I went back and listened to all the Robert Plant albums a few months ago. What do you think about Now and Zen?

Anonymous said...

Pretty interesting place you've got here. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Hilary Smith

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Mark, I'll have to check out Quartz as you recommended in email. I remember the name from the day, but never heard it.

Bob, I'll have to pull out the Egg Hunt and Pailhead! Love it.

Jeff, a heavy lean on the prog side, yes?

Chuck, Bob turned me on to Monroe but still never added any to my collection. In due time. I don't think Now and Zen is a barnstormer but it has some cool tunes. I hated it back in the day but have grown up and closer into it.

cjk, awesome list, man...I was at the Ottobar last night covering TITD and my buddy Chuck there (a different one than our buddy here) told me Tryptikon is coming there. Should be awesome.

Dpth, always happy to see you! Thanks for the well-wishes. Retaliate is coming together fairly fast and I'm going to enjoy my vacation in October hence once #1 is finished.

Hilary, cheers!!!

cjk_44 said...

jeff- "warp riders" is good. it's hard for me to judge an album so quickly but The Sword have edged a little closer to sounding like Mastodon in a certain way. Texas-styled "boogie" plays more prominently in the riffs, too. it is instantly more likeable in the early spins compared to their previous two efforts.

cjk_44 said...

chuck- in many ways i like Robert Plant's solo career more than Led Zeppelin's total output. i've always been a fan of Plant's efforts to not to sound like Zep in anyway. consequently, i found the occasional return to the Zep sound on Now and Zen to be a bit off-putting.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Anyone hear this Mastodon Jonah Hex album? I always loved Jonah Hex comics as a kid, didn't catch the film, but I noticed Decibel reviewed such a beast with Mastodon doing music for the film