The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesdays - 9/29/10




Hola, readers! Seriously, this past week was even faster than the previous one and age 40 yours truly is keeping a meaner pace now than in my 20s.

Case in point, last week being under the gun with the end-of-the-month crunch at the office, I found myself getting back home at zero hour for a double-header interview with Stevie Benton of Drowning Pool then Hatchet and Frozen director Adam Green then another bounce out to grab my kid from a late event. Stevie was a trip and even though I had to cut our interview short, he was a dude's dude and a pleasure to joke around with. Adam was equally fun like the previous time we spoke and he gave me some great stories about those wolves in Frozen which you can read about when Retaliate debuts this fall.

Then the following night, I jetted downtown on the subway to the Accept/King's X gig after working 12 hours. I sadly missed King's X, a band I've always respected and loved, but got to the venue just in the nick of time to hop into the photo pit and start shooting Accept. Now that's some kinda crazy living.

But I did get a fast minute with dUg Pinnick of King's X in-between songs during Accept's set and a quick photo. Super-nice guy. Accept rocked the place and best of all, they smiled, smiled, smiled all the way through, as you can gather by the photos posted here and those which will accompany my interview with Wolf Hoffman in Retaliate mag. You can't help but get sucked in to a band genuinely enjoying themselves up there.

In other news, my poetry chapbook entitled Goodbye, Excellent has been picked up for publication by Boulder Street Books, which is exciting news. A more formal announcement on that book will follow once the release date is set.

And with that, it's time to hop on the proverbial zip cord like my kid's Go Diego Go show and vamos, Van Horn!




Accept - Blood of the Nations
Devo - Something for Everybody
The Absence - Enemy Unbound
The Beatles - Please Please Me
Michael Schenker - UFO and MSG anthology
REM - And I Feel Fine: The Best of the IRS Years 1982-87
Zombi - Surface to Air
Killing Joke - s/t
Killing Joke - Night Time
Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Connection - We Are Volsung
Drowning Pool - s/t

14 comments:

bob_vinyl said...

John Coltrane - Blue Train
Dead Weather - Horehound
Suns - Close Calls in the US Space Program / The Howl and the Many
Jesse McReynolds and Friends - Songs of the Grateful Dead

Metal Mark said...

Most of your items in the picture are facing towards the camera instead of towards you.


I have mostly been listening to a lot of the same stuff I listened to last week.
Rolling Stones-Hot Rocks
Darkness-Defenders of justice
Beastie Boys-Solid Gold Hits
Mississippi Bones-s/t
The Police-Ghost in the machine
Tony Harnell and the mercury train-Round Trip
TNT-Intuition
Skull Hammer-Pay it in blood

Jeff said...

The Ramones - It's Alive
The Ramones - Leave Home
Weezer - Raditude
Neil Young - Le Noise
Deftones - Diamond Eyes
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Yes - Close to the Edge
Death Cab for Cutie - Plans
The Who - Ultimate Collection

DPTH International said...

Manowar - Thunder In The Sky ep
Hammerlord - S/T & Wolves at war's end.
Artillery - By Inheritance & When Death Comes
Cauldron - Chained to the nite
Battlelore - discography
Suicidal Tendencies-No Mercy Fool/The Suicidal Family
Ancient Bards-Alliance Of The Kings
Jon Oliva's Pain-Festival
Slechtvalk-A Forlorn Throne
Infectious Grooves - Mas Borracho

Metal Mark said...

DPTH-I have tried hard to get into that Cauldron album and it jsut keeps coming up not being as powerful as I was hoping for.

taotechuck said...

One of the few things I like about iTunes is the fact that when one album ends, another completely different album starts. I was happily listening to Hanged Up and had no idea I was in the mood for honkytonk until Hank Williams III started playing. iTunes also led to a few hours of emo from back when it wasn't just slit wrists and skinny jeans.

Hanged Up - Clatter for Control
Low - The Great Destroyer
Hank Williams III - Risin' Outlaw
v/a - Saints' Paradise
Norman Jay - Journeys by DJ: Desert Island Mix, Part 2
Ben Watt and Jay Hannan - Lazy Dog, Vol 1
Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American
Jimmy Eat World - Clarity
Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary
Promise Ring - 30 Degrees Everywhere
Miles Davis - Porgy and Bess
Brazzaville - Rogue on Pockmarked Cheeks
Brazzaville - Somnambulista
Swans - My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky
Explosions in the Sky - The Rescue
Explosions in the Sky - Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever
Silver Mt. Zion - Thirteen Blues for 13 Moons
Trail of Dead - Worlds Apart
Grinderman - Grinderman 2

cjk_44 said...

Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini
Woe of Tyrants - Threnody
Karnivool - Sound Awake
Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare
Meshuggah - Alive
Behemoth - The Apostasy
The Haunted - Made Me Do It
Saxon - Lionheart
Quicksand - Slip
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Eric Clapton - Clapton

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Oh well, Mark, thanks for noticing...it was just a funny picture, not to be taken all that seriously.

The Klepto said...

Not a lot this week, been working 14 days straight, haven't turned my computer on (and thus most of my music) in 4 days.

Baroness - Red Album
Cloudkicker - Beacons
Cloudkicker - The Discovery
Gas Giant - Pleasant Journey In Heavy Tunes
Gas Giant - Portals of Nothingness
Greatdayforup - God Loves A Sinner
Greatdayforup - Flores De Sangre
Grinspoon - Guide To Better Living
Grinspoon - New Detention
Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards

Metal Mark said...

Ray-I was hoping you were going to tell me that you were on the near end of the table. Then you felt tired and used your last bit of energy to flip over the table, land on the couch and then you konked out.

bob_vinyl said...

@Chuck: What did you think of that Grinderman? I didn't like the first one at all and, given my current state of mind or whatever, I'm probably less receptive to that kinda thing than I was a few years ago. Nonetheless, I'm curious about what you thought.

taotechuck said...

@Bob,

I like the new Grinderman much better than the first. In fact, I want to go back and listen to "1" again and see if it's better than I recall. The performances on "2" are very good. Lots of energy.

With that said, I don't think this is up your alley. I question Nick Cave the way you question Slayer or Black Flag. Cave is incredible when he's on, but it seems like he's always had a need to shock people with his lyrics. He frequently crosses the line, and moves from being challenging and talented to gratuitous and stupid.

On first listen to the lyrics, it seems like this album is consistent with his other albums... the amazing moments are tempered by the amazingly bad moments.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Mark, that's as viable an explanation for passing out as I could come up with. Sounds like a winner. I have other comments for everyone, so I'll be back. Thanks for posting!

DPTH International said...

Hey Mark,

The Cauldron album is not bad. I'll throw it on every once in awhile, but it could certainly have been better.

The album was high priced here in Canada, but I grabbed a cheaper copy when I was in San Francisco last week.