The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Van of the Dead Commentary: Has Hollywood Gone Too Far With the Horror Remakes?




With my upcoming Retaliate magazine, I am incorporating a section on the horror genre. Frankly, I can beat this topic to death because I'm just stunned by the gratuitous heisting of past horror films, namely the cash cow reboots of 70s and 80s vehicles.

The most recent addition this week is the remake of the 1988 cult classic Night of the Demons. The original isn't a masterpiece, but it sure was a breath of fresh air in the midst of the big slasher party dominating the eighties, and though formulaic upon hindsight, I can't fathom why a need to redo it became necessary.

Chainsaw, Friday the 13th, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Elm Street, The Hills Have Eyes, Last House on the Left, The Omen, Amityville, The Fog, My Bloody Valentine, Prom Night, it's all coming back in mostly inferior makeabuck fashion. Okay, sure, every generation has seen fit to resurrect vampires, wolfmen, mummies and Frankensteins, but Jesus wept, enough already!

With a reported remake of the brutal rapefest I Spit On Your Grave on the way, how much nastier does it need to be from the original? Seriously, enough.

How about your thoughts, readers? Have you had enough of the horror film hijacking?

No comments: