The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 10/13/10

Happy midweek and mid-October to y'all!

Man, another month is blitzing by and it's usually a time spent obsessively playing horror films all month until Halloween, but yours truly has been grossly under the weather and pushing forward with the debut issue of Retaliate magazine. Layouts are 90% finished, so this will be coming atcha very soon! Stay tuned for final updates before the launch.

I had an interview with Black Label Society guitarist Nick Catanese on Saturday for Retaliate and I'd say he was one of my favorite guests for this issue. The cat's a real, down-to-earth dude who made me laugh after I asked him if Zakk Wylde puts the band through the same weightlifting regimen he subscribes to. Nick had roaring by telling me his exercise regimen is spent lifting the Xbox controller and playing NHL 2011 after each BLS gig. That's rock 'n roll. Unfortunately, Nick's BLS vest and cell phone were pinched at a Guitar World gig the band was performing at, which set him back considerable money; not to mention losing a one-of-a-kind vest given to him by Wylde. Props to Nick for being good natured during our interview and very nice to my little one who came in for a minute to watch his daddy in action.

My thanks as ever to The Metal Minute's loyal supporters. I've been trying get some reviews kicking up here for you but I'm obsessively grinding Retaliate into a reality and you'll see more writing here shortly. Hope you've been enjoying the live photos. Suffice it to say, more of those can be found in Retaliate.

If you haven't heard the new Killing Joke album Absolute Dissent, do check it out immediately. This is the real deal. Original lineup, no cash-in schmaltz. It's one of Killing Joke's finest creative efforts and certainly one of the best albums of 2010, pick your genre.

For now, be well, be loud...




Killing Joke - Absolute Dissent
The Absence - Enemy Unbound
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Slayer - Undisputed Attitude
Slayer - Diabolus in Musica
Slayer - World Painted Blood
Subhumans - 29:29 Split Vision
Overkill - Feel the Fire
Overkill - Fuck You and Then Some
Devo - Something for Everybody
Ozzy Osbourne - No Rest for the Wicked
Robert Plant & Allison Krauss - Raising Sand
Devotchka - How it Ends
Black Label Society - Order of the Black
Papa Roach - Time for Annihilation: On the Record & On the Road
Accept - Metal Heart

14 comments:

bob_vinyl said...

Massy Ferguson - Hard Water
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?
Brooke Fraser - Flags
RJD2 - The Colossus

tarleisio said...

I've been guilty of musical archeology lately, and have been listening to...

The Ramones: Rocket to Russia The kid adores this one. Amazing what the Ramones did with three chords, a lot of energy and an attitude problem!

Storm: Nordavind Viking Metal's finest hour, as well as one of Fenriz' better moments.

Joy Division: Unknown Pleasures I can listen to this thirty years later, and it still blows my mind. If that ain't genius, what is?

Accept: Blood of Nations In no time at all, this has become a household staple, just like milk, eggs and prodigious amounts of caffeine. Whatever it takes, right?

Type O Negative: October Rust The perfect accompaniment to the month of October. Josh Silver's haunting piano opening to 'Love You To Death' is what October sounds like.

Siouxsie and the Banshees: Peepshow Because Siouxsie is the Sith Empress of Goth. Because I love this album. Because I belt out 'The Killing Jar' in the shower. Because I can.

I'm dying to get my hands on the new Enslaved (yes, Ray, I blame you for that one), and I can't just yet. Give it time!

Danzig: Deth Red Sabaoth For over a month, I stayed away. I told myself my hapless, hopeless addiction was cured. It was beyond me, I was above that, I would now and henceforward exist somewhere on a fluffy, pink cloud of bliss. And one very late night of rain and wind and wet leaves on my windowpane, I looked up from my laptop and heard it calling its deadly siren song from my CD rack. Resistance was futile. I was promptly assimilated. Just kill me now. Please.

Deee-Lite: World Clique Thanks to a Facebook status, I was assaulted by another blast from the past, the one I store in my cringe-worthy, secret stash of 'so-not-metal'. I know who to kill for this. It will happen. And it will be painful. As well as very, very slow.

bob_vinyl said...

Tarleisio, I'm a long time JD fan also, but something changed for me after I saw Control. It showed the human cost of that music, not just for Ian Curtis, but more importantly, his family. What bothered me wasn't his pain, but his self-indulgence (which led to that pain) and his falt-out unwillingness to see the beautiful things in his life. Seeing that movie has made JD a much tougher, and at times impossible, listen for me. I'm just curious if you had any reaction to the movie?

tarleisio said...

Well, to be honest, I haven't seen it yet! It's been one of those movies that somehow got planted on my 'must see' list - only to get buried, if not forgotten. So I'm really in no position to say, one way or another. Except to say . now I'll definitely track it down!

bob_vinyl said...

There was also a JD documentary that came out around that time. It was good, but Control was amazing. Even if it means you end up struggling with JD from that point forward, it's worth seeing.

tarleisio said...

That documentary I did see, but it didn't do much to change my perception of JD, or even Ian Curtis.

cjk_44 said...

Joe Satriani - Black Swans and Wormhole Wizards
Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini
Burst - Lazarus Bird
Paradise Lost - s/t
Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor
In Flames - Reroute to Remain
Morgion - Among Majestic Ruin
The Gathering - How to Measure a Planet?
Dream Theater - Awake
Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark
Sepultura - Chaos A.D.
Stone Gossard - Bayleaf
Eric Clapton - Money and Cigarettes

Metal Mark said...

I downloaded the new Killing Joke, but have not gotten around to listening to it.

Lightning swords of death-Extra dimenional wounds
Judas Priest-Hell bent for leather
Cobra Starship-Hot Mess
Bison B.C.-Dark Ages
Beastie Boys-Licensed to ill, The Mix Up
Iron Maiden-Powerslave
Public Enemy-It takes a nation of millions to hold us back,How You Sell Soul to a Souless People Who Sold Their Soul???
Mean Streak-Metal Slave

bob_vinyl said...

Mark, how's the Cobra Starship and PE working for you?

Metal Mark said...

Bob-I got into Public Enemy in college. I heard It takes a nation before. This was my first time with How to sell soul and I thought it was brilliant in both the music and the lyrics. Okay, it's heavier for them which I am bound to like but also it was like everything that can be good about hip-hop. The soul, the sprit and the focus is strong all the way through.

Cobra Starship is okay. It's like they skimmed off bits of different styles and tossed a lot of sugar coating all over it. I can take it in small doses, but nothing I'd run after. I just saw it on the shelf at my place work while I was shiftin and I thought I'd check it out.

Jeff said...

Pink Floyd - The Wall
Margot and the Nuclear So and Sos - Buzzard
Belle and Sebastian - Write About Love
Neil Young - Le Noise
The Police - Every Breath You Take Greatest Hits
Sufjan Stevens - Seven Swans
Rush - Hemispheres

Anonymous said...

Interesting post as for me. It would be great to read more concerning this topic. The only thing I would like to see on that blog is some pictures of any gizmos.

David Trider
signal blockers

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Wah-hoo, I like these bounces from Joy Division to Public Enemy. JD, for all the moroseness, has had a lasting impact on so many people. My interview with Neurosis for Retaliate, Steve mentioned JD was a huge influence on them and yeah, Ian Curtis was like Kurt Cobain in the selfish way he chose to bow out of his life with responsibilities to meet, but musically, JD was a monster force creatively. I'm still never sure how the remnants switched gears altogether to become New Order, but you do have to assume they'd had enough of the dirge.

Mark, glad to see you're on board with Public Enemy. They still remain to me the greatest rap group of all-time. Chuck D's lyrical fang is unparalleled. His closest rival would be Q-Tip from Tribe Called Quest, but PE simply "went there" and challenged everyone and everything. People were actually scared of them at one point in music history. Chuck D's book Fight the Power is worth reading too.

Tarelesio, great list and sidebars as ever. Glad you're into Blood of the Nations. I think once it has its hooks into you, you're powerless to resist.

cjk, are you liking the new Enslaved? I've already determined that's my pick for metal album of the year. I know there's a couple more months left, but that album has vaulted to become one of the finest metal albums of this generation in my mind and I give it a perfect 10 in Retaliate

Jeff, I LOVE The Police, but I feel bad for you with that greatest hits album since it has the "Don't Stand" update which is just terrifying. Really to me it was their only true miscue as a band, but a very dreadful one.

cjk_44 said...

Ray, I'm loving the new Enslaved. However, I'm not ready to annoint Enslaved's latest as a generation defining album. It is indeed a fine offering, I think it is missing the lighter nuances and overall varied dynamics of "Vertebrae."