The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 10/27/10

Hey there, readers! Following some time out spent in the land where grownups can be found lollygagging around in mouse and dog ears and barking at their brood, I'm ready to get back to work.

Retaliate #1 was nearly ready before I took my pause, so I'll be striving to spit-shine it up by the weekend.

Here at The Metal Minute, we'll be taking a look at the Saw 3-D soundtrack a day before the film arrives in theaters and then kick out some Halloween Hoardefest fun prior to more reviews forthcoming after the season of Samhain winds down.

Sad that my production schedule of Retaliate has sidelined my usual month-long celebration of Halloween, but at least there is the "Van of the Dead" section in the magazine where you'll read interviews with Mick Garris, Adam Green and Jonny Trunk to keep the in spirit of spooks. I love Halloween so much it's uncool I've been unable to keep to it, but at least in Disney World, they've been pumping pumpkins and throwing Mickey-themed Halloween parties all month. Too bad you have to pay $65 a pop extra to attend. Got them bills to pay, sorry, Mickey. If the trip hadn't been paid for at the beginning of the year, we certainly wouldn't have been down there to begin with. Worth the aggravation, though. They treat you right down there.

And speaking of Halloween, are we really that obsessed with Snooki and The Situation people want to dress like them for Halloween? The world is a-changing and I'm not sure I dig it. Is there any irony the Snooki sculpt is a Halloween favorite this year? Considering Elsa Lanchester set a decades-long precedent for Halloween hair, there's little coincidence, I'd say.

Scream until you like it...



Nightmare Revisited
Dawn of the Dead Unreleased Incidental Music
Matsuriza - Matsuri Daiko
Subhumans - From the Cradle to the Grave
Saw 3-D soundtrack
The Memorials - s/t
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St.
Circle Jerks - Group Sex
Ill Nino - Dead World Order
Queens of the Stone Age - s/t reissue
Robert Plant & Allison Krauss - Raising Sand
The Absence - Enemy Unbound

11 comments:

bob_vinyl said...

Some of these are probably from last week too, but I can't remember what I listened to and when.

Jaco Pastorius - s/t
Trio of Doom - s/t
Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
Joe Jackson - Live 1980-86
Thee Sgt Major III - The Idea Factory
Mick Jagger - Wandering Spirit
Mick Jagger - Goddess in the Doorway
Jet Black Berries - Post-Modern Ghosts
Helloween - 7 Sinners

I also participated in the 90s Music Video Extravaganza on Facebook, so I listened to a lot of individual songs from the 90s.

Metal Mark said...

Helloween-7 sinners
Judas Priest-Hell bent for leather and British steel
Saw 3-D soundtrack
Adrenicide-War begs mercy
DRI-Dealing with it and Crossover
Rancid (MD band)-1988 demo
Lethal Saint-s/t
Sacred Reich-Surf Nicaragua
ZZ top-Tres Hombres
Misfits-boxed set

Jeff said...

Muse - Showbiz
Muse - Origin of Symmetry
Muse - Absolution
Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
Muse - HAARP
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones
Patti Smith - Easter
Regina Spektor - Soviet Kitsch
Regina Spektor - Far

And like Bob, a lot of 90s music videos.

bob_vinyl said...

Whoa! I'm glad I wasn't hanging out with Jeff this week with all that Muse!

The 90s video weekend was fun, wasn't it? I'm still surprised that In Utero didn't stir up any real trouble. Of course, I don't think most of the folks in that group liked trouble the way I do.

DPTH International said...

Trans-Siberian Orchestra-Night Castle
Angels & Airwaves - all 3 albums
Possession - Unamable Suffering EP,Eternally Haunt
Star One - Space Metal deluxe edition
Taking Back Sunday - tell all your Friends, Where you Want Be
Frost Like Ashes- Pure as Blood Covered Snow EP, Tophet
Warrior Soul - Drugs God New Republic
Iron Maiden - Final Frontier
James Labrie - Static Impulse
Mithotyn - All 3 albums
Death Angel - Relentless Retribution

((( Headbang Here ))) said...

Ray, I've been in Monster Magnet mode today, plus a few others. Their new one is great btw!

MONSTER MAGNET - Mastermind
MM - Dopes To Infinity
MM - Powertrip
MY DYING BRIDE - Turn Loose The Swans
DJ MUGGS VS. ILL BILL - Kill Devil Hills
ABIGAIL WILLIAMS - In The Absence Of Light

Jeff said...

Bob, even though I know where you stand on Muse, I'm still surprised you don't like them. I also forgot to add that I listened to Muse's The Resistance this past week as well, lol. Also Bob Dylan's Witmark Demos which are great.

You were definitely the trouble maker of the group, and someone actually agreed on the "perfection" of In Utero. Alanis Morisette seemed to be the hot topic of the weekend - kind of surprising... If there is ever a 00's music video extravaganza let me know, although did they even make music videos in the 00's? The only stellar videos that come to mind are from The White Stripes - especially "Fell in Love with a Girl". Oh yeah, and OK Go.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Headbang, bang away to the Magnet, mang! Not yet heard the new stuff, but I'll get there.

Saying Bob's a de facto troublemaker is like saying Reese's is a de facto peanut butter/chocolate delight. I'm sure he represented himself in his inimitable style. Surprised to see those Jagger releases on your list, Bob. Cool pick on the Joe Jackson and Herbie Hancock. I'm not a big fusion guy overall, but I have pockets I enjoy, Hancock being one of them.

I'd also say In Uterus does nothing for me and I was astonished it was treated so reverentially. Oh well, nevermind. :)

Mark, I think I only have one Sacred Reich album still, but I'd forgotten all about Surf. Better than Surfin' MOD.

Jeff, I like Muse, so to each their own pudding and pie, right?

Dpth, I've not heard the new Death Angel yet, but I got an email Labrie's postponed his tour due to a complication of some sort.

bob_vinyl said...

Goddess in the Doorway makes the last 35 or so years of Stones releases even more astonishingly bad.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

snicker

cjk_44 said...

whoops, missed this one. been busy, i guess.

the new buddy guy dominated my listening this week - the man plays a mean rockin' blues and nothing is slowing him down. 74 years young, indeed.

listened to kylesa's "static tensions" to get primed for "spiral shadows."

also, got a double dose of Apollo by listening to the new Firewind and new Spiritual Beggars.

bob, nice pull with jaco's s/t.

dpth, thanks for reminding me with the Warrior Soul pick that i should listen to them more frequently.